The Student Room Group

Think I'm doing too much. Advice please.

Hey,

I started doing upper body exercises around 2 weeks ago. I've been building up how much I do a week and my "programme" (quite ludicrous, really) looks like this:

40 flat chest presses.
40 flat chest flies.
30 seated shoulder presses.
20 lateral raises.
20 front raises.
40 single arm rows.
20 upright rows.
50 shrugs.
100 hammer curls.
30 concentration curls.
25 overhead triceps extensions.
20 triceps kickbacks.
40 french presses.
20 half squats.
40 seated calf raises.
80 sit ups.
80 leg raises.

The whole idea of this was to give my muscles some "definition" by building them up whilst ultimately trying to gain weight (I weigh around 9 stone, and would like to weight around 10.5-11).

When I first started I could barely move my arms after a workout which was quite stupid, but now I can manage better. However, on average it takes me around 1.5-2 hours to complete all of these exercises.

Every two days I also run 3 miles which adds on to the time it takes to complete my daily exercises.

Should I split these exercises up into different days? For example, back exercises one day, chest another?

Also if anyone could give me some advice in general of how to "bulk up" then it would be appreciated. I checked the FAQ and I would love to try the Ice Cream Fitness programme but I simply can't afford a gym membership as I'm a full time student and can't find work which fits around my College times.

For the record, I've only been using dumbbells. 3.5kg for hammer and concentration curls, 2.5kg for the rest.

As you can probably tell, I'm a complete noob at this :biggrin:

Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm assuming these numbers are for one set? You need to lower the reps and increase the weight for hypertrophy. Your current routine will give you muscular endurance and won't help if you want to bulk. For example on the hammer curls increase the weight to where you can only do 7-10 good form and do 3 sets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Anrcf2
I'm assuming these numbers are for one set? You need to lower the reps and increase the weight for hypertrophy. Your current routine will give you muscular endurance and won't help if you want to bulk. For example on the hammer curls increase the weight to where you can only do 7-10 good form and do 3 sets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. Yes I usually do 20 hammer curls per rep. I increased the weight to 3.5kg just today and it is quite tough, but I'll add extra weight like you suggested :smile:
Bin your routine and read the stickies to find a proper novice program.
^^This.

Doing what you're currently doing won't do you any favours. You're using too less weight for too many reps. Find a good novice program and stick with it for a good amount of months and you'll gain both size and strength.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What you're doing right now will only aid weight loss and muscle toning, rather than bulking. You should try to reduce your workouts to a set of muscle groups per day. e.g. 1) Legs 2)chest, back, shoulders 3) arms/ abs and cardio. You need to reduce to about 3 sets of 10 per exercise and increase the weight so you're really struggling, this will help you to bulk. Diet is obviously also a very important factor. You need to eat meals which are high in protein and low in carbs/fats. Many people drink protein shakes to maximise the amount of protein they're getting from their diet. If you're male?? and workout every day you need to ensure you consume plenty of calories per day (at least 2500) in order to bulk rather than losing weight.
(btw I'm no expert, these are all things I've picked up from friends and my PT at the gym.)
Reply 6
Original post by shiva300
What you're doing right now will only aid weight loss and muscle toning, rather than bulking. You should try to reduce your workouts to a set of muscle groups per day. e.g. 1) Legs 2)chest, back, shoulders 3) arms/ abs and cardio. You need to reduce to about 3 sets of 10 per exercise and increase the weight so you're really struggling, this will help you to bulk. Diet is obviously also a very important factor. You need to eat meals which are high in protein and low in carbs/fats. Many people drink protein shakes to maximise the amount of protein they're getting from their diet. If you're male?? and workout every day you need to ensure you consume plenty of calories per day (at least 2500) in order to bulk rather than losing weight.
(btw I'm no expert, these are all things I've picked up from friends and my PT at the gym.)

Thank you. Okay looks like I'm definitely going to change my workout programme. Diet hasn't really been a problem, I've been having protein shakes too. I've just been doing the workout part all wrong :biggrin:

Looks like I'll have to save my pennies to afford a gym membership then maybe try the Stronglifts 5x5.
Original post by shiva300
What you're doing right now will only aid weight loss and muscle toning, rather than bulking.

I agree with weight loss. Toning doesn't exist

You should try to reduce your workouts to a set of muscle groups per day. e.g. 1) Legs 2)chest, back, shoulders 3) arms/ abs and cardio.

This is very brosciency

You need to reduce to about 3 sets of 10 per exercise and increase the weight so you're really struggling, this will help you to bulk.

Not necessarily

Diet is obviously also a very important factor. You need to eat meals which are high in protein and low in carbs/fats. Many people drink protein shakes to maximise the amount of protein they're getting from their diet. If you're male?? and workout every day you need to ensure you consume plenty of calories per day (at least 2500) in order to bulk rather than losing weight.

Not a good post I'm afraid! :smile:

Read the FAQ for some better knowledge than what you've garnered from your friends and the PT

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757
Reply 8
Original post by Lighfy
Hey,

I started doing upper body exercises around 2 weeks ago. I've been building up how much I do a week and my "programme" (quite ludicrous, really) looks like this:

40 flat chest presses.
40 flat chest flies.
30 seated shoulder presses.
20 lateral raises.
20 front raises.
40 single arm rows.
20 upright rows.
50 shrugs.
100 hammer curls.
30 concentration curls.
25 overhead triceps extensions.
20 triceps kickbacks.
40 french presses.
20 half squats.
40 seated calf raises.
80 sit ups.
80 leg raises.

The whole idea of this was to give my muscles some "definition" by building them up whilst ultimately trying to gain weight (I weigh around 9 stone, and would like to weight around 10.5-11).

When I first started I could barely move my arms after a workout which was quite stupid, but now I can manage better. However, on average it takes me around 1.5-2 hours to complete all of these exercises.

Every two days I also run 3 miles which adds on to the time it takes to complete my daily exercises.

Should I split these exercises up into different days? For example, back exercises one day, chest another?

Also if anyone could give me some advice in general of how to "bulk up" then it would be appreciated. I checked the FAQ and I would love to try the Ice Cream Fitness programme but I simply can't afford a gym membership as I'm a full time student and can't find work which fits around my College times.

For the record, I've only been using dumbbells. 3.5kg for hammer and concentration curls, 2.5kg for the rest.

As you can probably tell, I'm a complete noob at this :biggrin:

Thanks.

Hey man, great to see your motivation with getting where you want to go! while your current workout regime is not optimal for gaining muscle it is better than nothing.

ideally you need to split up the days you lift into certain focuses. for ex, you would have a day that focuses on your chest, then another day for your back, and another day for your legs, etc. there are MANY ways to achieve this and finding out what works for you is a part of the fitness journey.

the second, and possibly more important, part of this equation is to make sure your diet is on point. in order to add muscle you will need to eat at a caloric surplus for an extended period while simulatenously lifting weights.

this was a very basic rundown but if you have any other questions let me know as this is my area of expertise :smile:
Can't afford gym membership? Just accept that you're going to make way slower progress.

Do lots of pull ups, chin ups, push ups and dips and accept that you'll always have chicken legs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest