Those who read books often..

Watch this thread
Blyts-_
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm keen on starting to read books on a regular basis. To those people who read books regularly, are there any you could recommend?

I like TV shows/movies that are to do with crime, government corruption or conspiracies.. any good books of those genres? Preferably non fiction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lionheart96
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Blyts-_)
I'm keen on starting to read books on a regular basis. To those people who read books regularly, are there any you could recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A song of ice and fire series.
Phoenix.
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
A thousand splendid suns.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emily.97
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
What genre of books are you in to?
ChaoticZen
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Read

Unless you have a specific genre in mind, all of the books mentioned here.
EggMayo
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends what you're into, fiction or non fiction?
Carpe Vinum
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I don't really have one particular genre I'm more into than others so whenever I want something new to read, I like going to charity shops and just browsing through all the different ones till I find something that I like the look of and that way you might find a genre you like best and can then go from there. It's hard to say "oh read this one" because there's such a massively broad range and people like very different things!
VladThe1mpaler
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
1984 by George Orwell
Sneferu
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wind in the willows, I love that book. Spook's apprentice series is pretty good, it's dark fantasy. Lord of the Rings, and the Hobbit. (I still need to read the Lord of the Rings) The Inheritance Cycle is quite good. Around the world in 80 days is a good read. Jules Verne is a good author. I quite like Inkheart, apparently it's a part of a Trilogy though. Tales of two cites, is good, but can be a bit hard to read. Ending is worth it though. Harry potter of course! I still need to read it, but Sherlock Holmes might be worth your time. I've heard good things about skulduggery pleasant, though I don't own a copy so I can't give you feedback on it. Just read anything that you like the look really of it, I read anything from Dark Fantasy to diary of a Wimpy Kid. Strombreaker was enjoyable as well, that's a good series. Can't think of anything else right off the top of my head, maybe the Percy Jackson series, I haven't read it but I know people who have,and it seems alright.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
If you don't specify a genre I may as well recommend mein kampf

Posted from TSR Mobile
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
All the Harry Potters
donutellme
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Fantasy:

The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings series
Inheritance series
Harry Potter series
Skullduggery Pleasant series
+ more
Blyts-_
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Emily.97)
What genre of books are you in to?
(Original post by EggMayo)
Depends what you're into, fiction or non fiction?
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
If you don't specify a genre I may as well recommend mein kampf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, I've edited the post
BonBon123
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Fahrenheit 451
bloovanmeer
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Try The Wool Trilogy by Hugh Howey. It's a future dystopia series, lots of conspiracy, and interesting look at what current politics could lead to (if you stretch your imagination a bit) and has a lot of scifi elements. Really good read.
binarythoughts
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phoenix.)
A thousand splendid suns.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no crime or conspiracies involved
fluffyowl
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I am really into crime books at the moment. Currently reading the Alex Cross series by James Patterson. I also enjoyed reading his Women's Murder Club series (although I am a bit behind on that one now). I have also enjoyed the books by Linwood Barclay.
username360639
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The Millennium Series! I've only read the first book though, but it was ****ing amazing. Need to get around to the others.
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Divergent trilogy
Hunger games trilogy
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Ok, I've edited the post
Uh... if you wanna go into the more dark areas of crime fiction American Psycho is a book about a serial killer that is apparently good.

For government corruption I suppose I could still recommend Mein Kampf technically based on the couple of pages I've read...

If you simply google crime fiction:

There's quite a few thingies there, at least one of em must be good...
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (102)
68.46%
No (31)
20.81%
I didn't use it to prepare (16)
10.74%

Watched Threads