The Student Room Group

Acute pelvic pain

Recently I have been suffering from acute pelvic pain and it keeps me up late at night. I have an appointment to see a GP soon but I just wanted to know if anyone else has suffered from this before? Girls especially.
Define 'acute'. It's a very poor description for you to give to someone, as your idea of 'acute' is quite possibly very different to the medical meaning of 'acute'.
Define 'pelvic'. It's a very poor description for you to give to someone, as your idea of 'pelvic' is quite possibly very different to the medical/anatomical meaning of 'pelvic'.

At any rate, with just the pain as a symptom it's very hard to give an idea, but it would trigger me to ask about:

- Where in the 'pelvic' area? One sided, or both? Is anywhere in the region tender to touch/press?
- Any pain on urination or change in colour/frequency of urination?
- Any fever? Any vomiting?
- Any change in your stools or your bowel frequency/any pain?
- Any unprotected* sex, especially with new or casual partners but with anyone?
- Any abnormal discharge?
- Any disturbances to your normal cycle?

- Additional to all of the above, one also always has to ask a lady with tummy pain: could you be pregnant?

*Read: no BARRIER method, i.e. condom

I'n being mainly academic - as always, go speak to your GP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Is the pain constant or does it come and go?

Ovulation pain (mid-cycle, left or right side) can be quite severe and can last for up to 2 days.

Cystitis (bladder infection) causes pain above the pubic area; often: fever, burning urination.

There are quite some other possible causes, but hard to say without more symptoms (ruptured ovarian cyst, ectopic pregnancy, twisted salpinx, colon diverticles, pelvic inflammatory disease...)
Reply 3
Original post by Friar Chris
Define 'acute'. It's a very poor description for you to give to someone, as your idea of 'acute' is quite possibly very different to the medical meaning of 'acute'.
Define 'pelvic'. It's a very poor description for you to give to someone, as your idea of 'pelvic' is quite possibly very different to the medical/anatomical meaning of 'pelvic'.

At any rate, with just the pain as a symptom it's very hard to give an idea, but it would trigger me to ask about:

- Where in the 'pelvic' area? One sided, or both? Is anywhere in the region tender to touch/press?
- Any pain on urination or change in colour/frequency of urination?
- Any fever? Any vomiting?
- Any change in your stools or your bowel frequency/any pain?
- Any unprotected* sex, especially with new or casual partners but with anyone?
- Any abnormal discharge?
- Any disturbances to your normal cycle?

- Additional to all of the above, one also always has to ask a lady with tummy pain: could you be pregnant?

*Read: no BARRIER method, i.e. condom

I'n being mainly academic - as always, go speak to your GP.

Lower abdominal pain on the left hand side and the pain comes and goes but it's very sharp. It's only on my left side. I haven't had any casual sex or sex in general recently so I have ruled that out and I never usually suffer from unbearable period pains or have issues with my periods that paracetamol can't handle.
Reply 4
Could be ovulation pains; I occasionally get them but most months I don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest