Is life actually black and white? Watch

NHM713
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is life actually a lot simpler than we make it out to be?
NHM713
Rep:
?
Are we making things harder, because of the way we perceive things?.....
viddy9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NHM713)
Is life actually a lot simpler than we make it out to be?
I don't really know what you mean by the question. In my view, lots of people make their lives unnecessarily complicated by buying and consuming excess amounts due to our rampant consumerist, capitalistic culture. People also procrastinate, making their lives more complicated. They also make illogical and irrational decisions which don't help to further their goals. But, is life black and white? No.

Ethically, life isn't black and white, but people can certainly be more moral or less moral than each other.
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by viddy9)
I don't really know what you mean by the question. In my view, lots of people make their lives unnecessarily complicated by buying and consuming excess amounts due to our rampant consumerist, capitalistic culture. People also procrastinate, making their lives more complicated. They also make illogical and irrational decisions which don't help to further their goals. But, is life black and white? No.

Ethically, life isn't black and white, but people can certainly be more moral or less moral than each other.
I mean, we are constantly thinking about our problems and trying to pursuit the solution of these problems. Why don't we look at and understand the cause of these problems first.

I watched this video a while ago, that said, there are only two emotions that humans feel, they are love and fear, hence the title of the thread.

Also aren't we just wrapped up in all these problems because we are not understanding the source of them?
CherryWine
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Basically, yes. But it wouldn't mean anything at all without the grey areas.
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by CherryWine)
Basically, yes. But it wouldn't mean anything at all without the grey areas.
Yeah well, kids don't seem to have any grey areas, and they seem to get on just fine.
CherryWine
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah well, kids don't seem to have any grey areas, and they seem to get on just fine.
Kids have loads of grey areas, and they're generally really bad at handling them. In my opinion the main grey area in life is emotions and kids are full of them.
battycatlady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, biologically I guess so. You live, reproduce, die.

It's because we have developed morals and etc that means it isn't black and white.

And bloody emotions.
NHM713
Rep:
?
Kids have loads of grey areas, and they're generally really bad at handling them. In my opinion the main grey area in life is emotions and kids are full of them.
Yes, but, their emotions are in the moment, then it passes where as adults can suppress and hold on to their emotions which isn't good of course.
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gott)
No it's extremely complex, don't you do biology OP?
I'm not talking on a cellular level, and for the most part all that stuff happens to you involuntarily anyway. I'm talking, mostly on a psychological level.
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by battycatlady)
Well, biologically I guess so. You live, reproduce, die.

It's because we have developed morals and etc that means it isn't black and white.

And bloody emotions.
What more of a moral do you need other than to be good?
CherryWine
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, but, their emotions are in the moment, then it passes where as adults can suppress and hold on to their emotions which isn't good of course.
Not true. A deep emotion doesn't just disappear in a child because he saw a packet of sweets that distracted him, it might temporarily go away but once he's sat down eating the sweets it'll hit him like a brick wall again.
battycatlady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What more of a moral do you need other than to be good?
What is 'good' though- 'good' is a human construct
NHM713
Rep:
?
Not true. A deep emotion doesn't just disappear in a child because he saw a packet of sweets that distracted him, it might temporarily go away but once he's sat down eating the sweets it'll hit him like a brick wall again.
We are not talking about deep traumatic emotions here, what we are talking about is, which we have slightly drifted off topic is, because we don't deal with the source of our problems we have so much, which causes people to think life is so complicated, unlike how children think.
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gott)
I was being facetious of course. Do you mean in a determinist sense?
Oh haha, well I'm not too familiar with determinism, especially as this is the first time I have heard of it, so kind of no (until I understand about it more).
CherryWine
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We are not talking about deep traumatic emotions here, what we are talking about is, which we have slightly drifted off topic is, because we don't deal with the source of our problems we have so much, which causes people to think life is so complicated, unlike how children think.
I agree that we don't deal with the sources of our problems as much as we should do, and that if we did life would be a lot less complicated. But, what I don't agree with is comparing an adults life to a childs. Children do think life is complicated, sometimes even more so than an adult because they simply don't understand why a certain matter is a problem, but they know it is one, let alone finding the source of it and trying to fix it. Get back on topic now
NHM713
Rep:
?
(Original post by battycatlady)
What is 'good' though- 'good' is a human construct
Good as in GOOD. We both and so does everyone else, know what it means .
NHM713
Rep:
?
I agree that we don't deal with the sources of our problems as much as we should do, and that if we did life would be a lot less complicated. But, what I don't agree with is comparing an adults life to a childs. Children do think life is complicated, sometimes even more so than an adult because they simply don't understand why a certain matter is a problem, but they know it is one, let alone finding the source of it and trying to fix it. Get back on topic now
I'm using the child as an example of when people have few problems if at all.
When I say children, I speaking about kids of 5 years of age or younger.

Thats why we have adults, to teach/guide the young on how to understand themselves, but, again we are going off the beaten track.
iamthetruth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, life is gold and white
CherryWine
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm using the child as an example of when people have few problems if at all.
When I say children, I speaking about kids of 5 years of age or younger.

Thats why we have adults, to teach/guide the young on how to understand themselves, but, again we are going off the beaten track.
I think you're talking about babies, even a toddler can have problems, they just don't understand them therefore life is complicated for them, even more so than it is for an adult.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.01%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.43%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.09%
It might lead to more bullying (145)
39.08%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.38%

Watched Threads