The Student Room Group

A friend copied my work, now I'm being accused of Plagiarism

We were given a programming exercise to do and he left it until last minute like always...

So he started asking me about the work on bits he was stuck on and kept asking me to send him my working program so i eventually did to shut him up so I could get rid of him. I got a letter sent asking me to go to a meeting about it, and so did he so he must of copied me.

How can I prove I was the one who was copied and not the other way around? I hate him so much right now.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chenelchen
We were given a programming exercise to do and he left it until last minute like always...

So he started asking me about the work on bits he was stuck on and kept asking me to send him my working program so i eventually did to shut him up so I could get rid of him. I got a letter sent asking me to go to a meeting about it, and so did he so he must of copied me.

How can I prove I was the one who was copied and not the other way around? I hate him so much right now.

Print out whatever messages he sent you and stuff.

Note that you're still at fault to an extent but they may go easier on you. He's also not your friend.
A girl tried to do this to me once, but I kept making up excuses as to why I couldn't send her my work. There's a lesson learned for you, you put time and effort into your work, don't just go handing it out like it's a piece of chewing gum.
Reply 3
I know, he has asked me for it before and I always make up excuses and tell him i'm not going to. But this time I was at the end of my tether and just though **** it, it will shut him up. I asked him about it and he said he didn't think he copied it that much. He didn't apologise! just tried to make it sound like it was my fault!

Anyone know the penalties if I can show them he copied me?
Reply 4
The penalties depend on where you study, what your course is, who's investigating it, whether they want to make an example and so on.

Could be anything from a light tap on the wrist to being kicked out. You can probably strengthen your case a bit by giving evidence that this isn't the first time it's been asked for; if you've gradually been worn down you might get more sympathy.
Reply 5
That's a bit worrying

Asked someone about it and they put me in touch with the student services who can advise me better. Thanks for all the help - fingers crossed it isn't too bad and I'm not penalized too much

You'll understand the code and will be able to talk about it to explain your thinking.

He won't...

Though if you have time before this meeting it's possible that he'll then study it to make sure he understands it, also, so make sure you know the ins and outs.
Reply 7
I have a notebook where I write down all my notes as I am programming - I'm sure that will at least help show I created the code.
Reply 8
A "friend"? Doesn't sound like a friend to me. Especially if he doesn't come clean...you shouldn't have to prove anything.

Can't say you're not partly to blame too though.
Reply 9
I know I'm partly to blame - I accept that. Most of this is the frustration that someone could even think of doing this and then getting away with it!
I am in an almost identical situation right now.
Reply 11
The best advice is to go to your student union and ask them for someone to talk to for advice. I got a meeting with them and they suggested what evidence i can take to prove it was originally my work. They also attend the plagiarism meeting with you to help you out.

I hope it all goes well for you, I have learnt my lesson. NEVER EVER share your work with anyone, I would rather lose friends than deal with this again.
Before you snitch, give him the chance to own up by himself. And then snitch.

So he started asking me about the work on bits he was stuck on and kept asking me to send him my working program so i eventually did to shut him up so I could get rid of him.

Why didn't you just tell him to **** off?
Reply 13
Original post by Wilfred Little
Before you snitch, give him the chance to own up by himself. And then snitch.

Why didn't you just tell him to **** off?

That is going to be my go to response from now on when people ask me about work.

I had a good 'talk' with him - he has agreed to own up and not bring me down with him. That's a far cry from his first suggestion of 'Lets just admit me worked together'.

We didn't work together. I never work together with anyone for this very reason
That is going to be my go to response from now on when people ask me about work.

I had a good 'talk' with him - he has agreed to own up and not bring me down with him. That's a far cry from his first suggestion of 'Lets just admit me worked together'.

We didn't work together. I never work together with anyone for this very reason

I think your 'friend' is a bit of a **** to even put you in that position (asking for your work). Either you don't show him and you feel bad for saying no, or you give him the work and you risk getting in trouble. It's lose lose.

What a **** tbh.
Reply 15
I 100% agree, friend is no longer what he is to me.

From what I was told chances are I will get a very firm warning about sharing work - but my 'friend' could get a much much worse outcome. Rightly deserved I think.
The penalties will be either:

1. Nothing at all
2. Resubmit it
3. Resubmit it but be capped at 40%
4. Zero for the assignment
Reply 17
Original post by davidcallum87
The penalties will be either:

1. Nothing at all
2. Resubmit it
3. Resubmit it but be capped at 40%
4. Zero for the assignment

Hoping I get the top one! I want my 1st!
How does resubmitting work? Do the work again and then submit? Or just resubmit what you already had?
Hello there,

I recall a student who was participating from my university and was also guilty of plagiarism and/or collusion. Generally, the punishment is based on the extent that has been copied, determined by the percentage of similarity between both programs.

Effectively, this means the following: plagiarism is split into three categories; a, b, and c.

Category A plagiarism extends the fact that some code has been copied, perhaps, 40% similarity - as an arbitrary example. This is the lightest terms, and the minimum punishment - for a category A - is a 40% cap on the program.

Category B plagiarism is more serious than category A, and I assume this is what you have been accused of. This, in essence, requests the candidate to be called to a meeting to the, 'board of examiners' - as described at my university. To explain the meaning behind the plagiarism and/or collusion, in this effect.

Your justification in this circumstance will determine how harsh the board will punish you. Be careful to think before you speak, in this circumstance.

Category B does not end there. Since a meeting with the board of examiners implies category B, then it means that the mark for your currently assessed piece of work receives a mark of 0. In this circumstance, if that course is 100% coursework assessed, then you will fail that module, and you will be needed to resit the entire module in Semester 3 - September.

Category C: the highest extent of punishment. Students found under this category - which I am adamant to say this: students are only categorised under category c when they have received category b punishment, and are persistent offenders that continue to plagiarise and/or collude with other colleagues.

As a result, you receive a mark of 0 for the entire module - not just for that piece of work. In addition, it is at the discretion of the board of examiners to determine your suspension, and/or termination of studies.

In the United Kingdom has a 'limited' set of rules for plagiarism and collusion. In other countries, if found guilty, you can be convicted, arrested and fined, as this is a criminal offense. The United Kingdom lets' students off easily, believe it or not.

I hope this clarifies this further. Anymore questions or concerns, then feel free to ask.
Reply 19
Thanks for that full explanation.

I had a meeting, had an adviser with me. After explaining my side they understood I didn't share it with the intent of collusion, only to help a friend in need. They made it clear that I should never share work not matter the case - which I will definitely be sticking to in the future.

I'm waiting for an email to hear the final decision at the moment, but my adviser told me if they try to penalize me in any way to contact him and he will sort it out. Apparently the university plagiarism rules state I should be let of in these circumstances, as I didn't mean to collude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending