What issue could make you switch parties? Watch

Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This is for anyone who has a pretty set idea about what they want to vote for and who. Is there any particular issue that could cause you to switch to another party? Like how the tuition fees issue pushed many from the Lib Dems to Labour (especially given their recent tuition fees announcement)
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's about passion, and personality,

not policies.
username1423899
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by democracyforum)
It's about passion, and personality,

not policies.
Wrong reasons for voting, sure you need a credible leader but to vote without thought towards policies is just stupid.

Tbh I'm already pretty sure on who I'm going to vote for, but the main issues for me are; tuition fees, environmental policy and the NHS

EDIT: unsure if trolling
samba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hostility to austerity would swing it for me.

A coherent plan to move us away from reliance on the financial sector

A coherent plan to resolve housing issues

A plan to combat rent seeking.

Any of those really.
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have no idea who I'm going to vote for if I even vote at all.

Environment issues matter to me a lot. But none of the main parties seem to care about the environment, UKIP are actively anti-environmentalist, and the Greens have too many flaws in other areas of policy.
LukeWishart
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The UK's relationship to the EU. I am very pro-eu, and a party like UKIP would be completely against my views. Also, power generation it a big one, so I definitely won't be voting greens as they oppose nuclear power. I'll probably end up voting labour, as their policies generally reflect my views as a whole.
young_guns
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If Labour decided to unilaterally cancel Trident, pull out of NATO or weaken our alliance with the Americans/Anglosphere, I would leave the Labour Party.
Fanatical Geek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly, I think that some of Labour's policies make sense.

Trouble is, they aren't coherent in getting across what they do with it - the proposed mansion tax seems so be paying for absolutely everything on Earth ATM.

Also, ditch the lowered tuition fee's, if you want to help students put more money for maintenance grants and loans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by young_guns)
If Labour decided to unilaterally cancel Trident, pull out of NATO or weaken our alliance with the Americans/Anglosphere, I would leave the Labour Party.
Would you stop voting or move to another party?

Posted from TSR Mobile
young_guns
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Would you stop voting or move to another party?
I wouldn't ever not vote. Not voting is for plebs.

I just told you what would cause me to move to another party. As much as I find them objectionable, I'd probably move to the Lib Dems.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by leemer)
Wrong reasons for voting, sure you need a credible leader but to vote without thought towards policies is just stupid.

Tbh I'm already pretty sure on who I'm going to vote for, but the main issues for me are; tuition fees, environmental policy and the NHS

EDIT: unsure if trolling
So who on earth is voting for Dennis Skinner who has done nothing for 45 years ?
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd join the Tories if they sacked the euro sceptic MPs, made ken clarke leader, rejoined the EPP, campaign to stay in the EU and change their name to the Liberal party!
fajitamunch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If the music sucks, I'm leaving that party.
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would support Tory if they committed to:

- Nationalisation of key infrastructure: health, railways, buses, energy, etc.
- Support for government intervention in certain failing industries: not take them over, but ensure methods are in place to ease transitions between jobs e.g. help retrain workers and find them new jobs, particularly if they have worked there for a long period of time.
- Relaxation of trade union laws to allow greater collective bargaining in the workplace.
- Genuine commitment to improving infrastructure, especially links between Northern cities. It's nice they're doing the Northern Hub and all but considering key elements of it such as the Ordsall Chord were proposed in the 1970s just shows what a shambles neoliberalism has been for the country.
- A shift away from voodoo economics and towards developing our agriculture and manufacturing base to ensure a greater degree of self-sufficiency and a mixed economy.
- Scrapping of the ridiculous punitive elements of the welfare system and get back to something that is for those in hard times instead of a sanitized Information Age penal colony to appeal to vicious right-wing sadists.

And finally...
- The exhuming of Thatcher's corpse and dumping in somewhere secure but undignified where private companies can bid for the ransom to give the dear lady the rest she deserves. Also forcibly tax the Murdoch Empire to pay for the original cost of the funeral.

And before anyone calls me a raving commie, the Tory party have supported most of those policies in the past. Not the last one obviously
Fanatical Geek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Moosferatu)
I would support Tory if they committed to:

- Nationalisation of key infrastructure: health, railways, buses, energy, etc.
- Support for government intervention in certain failing industries: not take them over, but ensure methods are in place to ease transitions between jobs e.g. help retrain workers and find them new jobs, particularly if they have worked there for a long period of time.
- Relaxation of trade union laws to allow greater collective bargaining in the workplace.
- Genuine commitment to improving infrastructure, especially links between Northern cities. It's nice they're doing the Northern Hub and all but considering key elements of it such as the Ordsall Chord were proposed in the 1970s just shows what a shambles neoliberalism has been for the country.
- A shift away from voodoo economics and towards developing our agriculture and manufacturing base to ensure a greater degree of self-sufficiency and a mixed economy.
- Scrapping of the ridiculous punitive elements of the welfare system and get back to something that is for those in hard times instead of a sanitized Information Age penal colony to appeal to vicious right-wing sadists.

And finally...
- The exhuming of Thatcher's corpse and dumping in somewhere secure but undignified where private companies can bid for the ransom to give the dear lady the rest she deserves. Also forcibly tax the Murdoch Empire to pay for the original cost of the funeral.

And before anyone calls me a raving commie, the Tory party have supported most of those policies in the past. Not the last one obviously
I don't think you'll be voting Conservative in the next 29 lifetimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fanatical Geek)
I don't think you'll be voting Conservative in the next 29 lifetimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be fair neither Labour nor the Lib Dems would commit to any of those policies either.
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by young_guns)
I wouldn't ever not vote. Not voting is for plebs.
Does that include those who don't vote because they don't support any of the options enough to be willing to vote for them?
young_guns
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
Does that include those who don't vote because they don't support any of the options enough to be willing to vote for them?
Personally, when I saw that the party I was closest do (Labour) did not have all the policies I would desire, I joined it so I could have a say in policy formation, and a vote within the internal party machine. I believe that anyone who does not feel adequately served by the parties should do that, or start their on party.

In extremis, I believe that the only situation where it is justifiable to vote is where you emphatically and viscerally oppose all of the options on offer (and not just claim not to support any out of laziness) and where you make a commensurate effort in civil society (directly lobbying or advocating for policies to MPs and local government, joining civic organisations and the like).

If you do not do one of the things above, I believe you have no real right to complain about the direction in which society is going. If someone makes no effort to change things, then how is it legitimate to complain that things are not changing?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1) A credible plan to increase private sector wage growth

2) A credible and ambitious house building programme

Other than that there are things on the economy and foreign policy/defense that could win me over but it's very unlikely.
SerLorasTyrell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A plan to drastically increase the amount of affordable housing being built, we'll literally have a generation that live with their parents well into adulthood otherwise. The housing market is a shambles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (12)
8.57%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (16)
11.43%
No, but maybe I will look into it (39)
27.86%
No and I wouldn't consider it (73)
52.14%

Watched Threads