What issue could make you switch parties? Watch

RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by young_guns)
Personally, when I saw that the party I was closest do (Labour) did not have all the policies I would desire, I joined it so I could have a say in policy formation, and a vote within the internal party machine. I believe that anyone who does not feel adequately served by the parties should do that, or start their on party.
I wish more people were like you - you've just described my exact rationale for joining the Labour Party. The dissatisfied resort to protest votes and not voting and therefore allow their views and problems to become irrelevant (just look at how young people of whom few vote have been sidelined) but anyone who wants real change and real improvements in society has to make peace with the establishment in order to make those changes happen.
CrapDunGoofed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
I wish more people were like you - you've just described my exact rationale for joining the Labour Party. The dissatisfied resort to protest votes and not voting and therefore allow their views and problems to become irrelevant (just look at how young people of whom few vote have been sidelined) but anyone who wants real change and real improvements in society has to make peace with the establishment in order to make those changes happen.
if you're a member of a party, you get a say on policy? what kind of optimism is this?
newblood
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't ever not vote. Not voting is for plebs.

I just told you what would cause me to move to another party. As much as I find them objectionable, I'd probably move to the Lib Dems.
Personally, when I saw that the party I was closest do (Labour) did not have all the policies I would desire, I joined it so I could have a say in policy formation, and a vote within the internal party machine. I believe that anyone who does not feel adequately served by the parties should do that, or start their on party.

In extremis, I believe that the only situation where it is justifiable to vote is where you emphatically and viscerally oppose all of the options on offer (and not just claim not to support any out of laziness) and where you make a commensurate effort in civil society (directly lobbying or advocating for policies to MPs and local government, joining civic organisations and the like).

If you do not do one of the things above, I believe you have no real right to complain about the direction in which society is going. If someone makes no effort to change things, then how is it legitimate to complain that things are not changing?
ur a pleb mate. if youre not voting that doesnt mean you dont care. I didnt bother last time because all the parties are time same pile of useless crap. they got their policies but in the end they all do whatever they want. Most of its decent stuff but theyre never going to be some golden boys.

i dont see the point in deciding who to vote for anymore because none of them do anything. i dont complain about it, just explainin to you
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Universal basic income.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samba)
Hostility to austerity would swing it for me.

A coherent plan to move us away from reliance on the financial sector

A coherent plan to resolve housing issues

A plan to combat rent seeking.

Any of those really.
What do you mean by that?

Also I agree with your other points.
samba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
What do you mean by that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking

It's basically what the banks etc are doing 24/7 during this government.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samba)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking

It's basically what the banks etc are doing 24/7 during this government.
Ohhh

God yes this. That pisses me off no end. I just didn't know what the term 'rent seeking' meant.
username1308602
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't feel there's one single policy that I feel so strongly about that it'd convince me to vote a certain way. I think this is why I'm struggling to decide who I'll vote for in the GE.

Policies such as the reduction in tuition fees, raising the minimum wage and devolution of powers to Scotland, Wales and English regions attracts me to Labour but I don't feel like they're promising enough. £6000 tuition fees are still double of what people were paying five years ago and an £8 minimum wage by 2020 doesn't represent a significant enough yearly increase for me.
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
1) A credible plan to increase private sector wage growth

2) A credible and ambitious house building programme

Other than that there are things on the economy and foreign policy/defense that could win me over but it's very unlikely.
I know you're a Tory but with policies like those you may as well be a loonyland commie as far as the neoliberal stooges on the front benches are concerned.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Moosferatu)
I would support Tory if they committed to:

- Nationalisation of key infrastructure: health, railways, buses, energy, etc.
- Support for government intervention in certain failing industries: not take them over, but ensure methods are in place to ease transitions between jobs e.g. help retrain workers and find them new jobs, particularly if they have worked there for a long period of time.
- Relaxation of trade union laws to allow greater collective bargaining in the workplace.
- Genuine commitment to improving infrastructure, especially links between Northern cities. It's nice they're doing the Northern Hub and all but considering key elements of it such as the Ordsall Chord were proposed in the 1970s just shows what a shambles neoliberalism has been for the country.
- A shift away from voodoo economics and towards developing our agriculture and manufacturing base to ensure a greater degree of self-sufficiency and a mixed economy.
- Scrapping of the ridiculous punitive elements of the welfare system and get back to something that is for those in hard times instead of a sanitized Information Age penal colony to appeal to vicious right-wing sadists.

And finally...
- The exhuming of Thatcher's corpse and dumping in somewhere secure but undignified where private companies can bid for the ransom to give the dear lady the rest she deserves. Also forcibly tax the Murdoch Empire to pay for the original cost of the funeral.

And before anyone calls me a raving commie, the Tory party have supported most of those policies in the past. Not the last one obviously
So you mean if they turned into labour?
So you wouldn't actually change in that case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
So you mean if they turned into labour?
So you wouldn't actually change in that case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Labour stands for none of those things.

I guess the real issue was not switching parties but joining a party
seaholme
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Re-nationalisation/centralisation of the zillions of sub-contracted parts of the NHS would win my vote.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Moosferatu)
I would support Tory if they committed to:

- Nationalisation of key infrastructure: health, railways, buses, energy, etc.
- Support for government intervention in certain failing industries: not take them over, but ensure methods are in place to ease transitions between jobs e.g. help retrain workers and find them new jobs, particularly if they have worked there for a long period of time.
- Relaxation of trade union laws to allow greater collective bargaining in the workplace.
- Genuine commitment to improving infrastructure, especially links between Northern cities. It's nice they're doing the Northern Hub and all but considering key elements of it such as the Ordsall Chord were proposed in the 1970s just shows what a shambles neoliberalism has been for the country.
- A shift away from voodoo economics and towards developing our agriculture and manufacturing base to ensure a greater degree of self-sufficiency and a mixed economy.
- Scrapping of the ridiculous punitive elements of the welfare system and get back to something that is for those in hard times instead of a sanitized Information Age penal colony to appeal to vicious right-wing sadists.

And finally...
- The exhuming of Thatcher's corpse and dumping in somewhere secure but undignified where private companies can bid for the ransom to give the dear lady the rest she deserves. Also forcibly tax the Murdoch Empire to pay for the original cost of the funeral.

And before anyone calls me a raving commie, the Tory party have supported most of those policies in the past. Not the last one obviously

If the Tories did that now, I'd leave the party and tear my membership up
billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
I'd join the Tories if they sacked the euro sceptic MPs, made ken clarke leader, rejoined the EPP, campaign to stay in the EU and change their name to the Liberal party!
sod off

Ken Clarke is the biggest muppet going

Trade with Europe: Yes
Governed by Europe: No
billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by americandragon)
I don't feel there's one single policy that I feel so strongly about that it'd convince me to vote a certain way. I think this is why I'm struggling to decide who I'll vote for in the GE.

Policies such as the reduction in tuition fees, raising the minimum wage and devolution of powers to Scotland, Wales and English regions attracts me to Labour but I don't feel like they're promising enough. £6000 tuition fees are still double of what people were paying five years ago and an £8 minimum wage by 2020 doesn't represent a significant enough yearly increase for me.
Scotland and Wales are countries- why shouldnt England have powers devolved?

Oh I know, would give Labour less power..... :rolleyes:
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
I'd join the Tories if they sacked the euro sceptic MPs
So you want them to sack some of their MPs for daring to have an opinion other than the party line (the current Conservative policy is in favour of staying in with renegotiation)? What an awful idea. MPs are supposed to represent their constituents, and strict adherence to a party line by MPs is bad for democracy.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
So you want them to sack some of their MPs for daring to have an opinion other than the party line (the current Conservative policy is in favour of staying in with renegotiation)? What an awful idea. MPs are supposed to represent their constituents, and strict adherence to a party line by MPs is bad for democracy.
Not really, they could join ukip. I'd rather have a bunch of smaller parties than two big ones that go all over the place. Obviously there's room to manoeuvre on minor issues but I'd say the EU is a big one-additionally there's tory MPs who want to leave irregardless of change.
Dissertation1206
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

would you mind replying to my Dissertation survey questions. I haven't had much luck so far.

You'd really be helping me out. I'd be happy to do one in return. Here is the link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GX2ZXYL

Many Thanks
haemoglobin1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't think anything could make me vote Tories, ever. I have a pure, deep hatred for them and everything they stand for.

If Lib Dems took a sharp turn to the left then perhaps. I like their policies on voting reform and drugs decriminalisation/legalisation. They seem way ahead of both Labour and Tories in this respect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%
No- I want it (120)
26.67%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.56%

Watched Threads