The Student Room Group

How many hours do you spend revising a week? When did you start?

I have 7 AS exams, two Edexcel History, two Edexcel Government and Politics, one AQA B English Literature and two AQA A Psychology.

I started revising last Monday, but only light revision because I had coursework due in today. I'm thinking of doing a total of 5 hours per subject (4 hours for Politics because the exams start later) per week. Does that sound like too much?

So, when did you start revising? How many hours do you spend revising on weekdays and weekends? If you are doing any of the same topics as me, how do you revise for them? Any tips?

I'm doing mindmaps/notes/flashcards for each topic and i'm going to start doing past papers closer to the exams :smile: I'm most worried about Psychology :/

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was doing over 40 hours a week until my biology teacher (whose also my head teacher) pointed out that that wasn't healthy, so I am now doing about 29 hours a week:smile: the difference is huge
Reply 2
Original post by dani t
I was doing over 40 hours a week until my biology teacher (whose also my head teacher) pointed out that that wasn't healthy, so I am now doing about 29 hours a week:smile: the difference is huge

40 hours on top of college work?! Wow, i'd find that impossible! I'm doing 20 hours a week but during the Easter Holidays I will be doing up to 40 hours :smile: When did you start revising? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by rebeccar16
40 hours on top of college work?! Wow, i'd find that impossible! I'm doing 20 hours a week but during the Easter Holidays I will be doing up to 40 hours :smile: When did you start revising? :smile:

about august
Reply 4
Original post by dani t
about august

getting 100% in all your subjects?
Reply 5
Original post by Helpme.
getting 100% in all your subjects?

I wish:redface:
Reply 6
I take physics, maths, chemistry and computing. I haven't started revising yet, planning on doing a lot less than some people on this website. I seriously don't see the need to do 20+ hours a week. In the mocks I did 1 - 2 hours of revision per subject and got all A's, apart from computing. (Damn that subject is the hardest thing to learn). For the real things I plan to start revising early April and maybe do an hour or two a night until a couple weeks before my exams at which point I will start to do more.
Reply 7
Original post by dani t
I wish:redface:

you should be ashamed.
Reply 8
With psychology it's litterally a case of going over the information, past questions, then the information again, and then tweek past questions so you can answer ones that haven't been asked before

Its quiet content heavy so the keys persistence, I got an A last year, with a odd amount of revision (loads at the start, then not a lot, then loads), but id suggest a consistent amount until the content just seems like usual day to day stuff to you

Also I'd suggest trying to teach others about it, sounds silly but gives ypu a different view on it. Other then that sounds like yyou've got it under control, good luck:smile:
4 hours a week, started in September, got AAB in mocks. I find that I can now somewhat relax and don't have to stress out for my exams, I'm going at a nice even pace and don't intend to exceed 4 hours a week.
Reply 10
Original post by ryme1996
With psychology it's litterally a case of going over the information, past questions, then the information again, and then tweek past questions so you can answer ones that haven't been asked before

Its quiet content heavy so the keys persistence, I got an A last year, with a odd amount of revision (loads at the start, then not a lot, then loads), but id suggest a consistent amount until the content just seems like usual day to day stuff to you

Also I'd suggest trying to teach others about it, sounds silly but gives ypu a different view on it. Other then that sounds like yyou've got it under control, good luck:smile:

Thanks! and at the moment i'm doing mindmaps etc of things I find the hardest and then I'm going to do past papers at the end of each topic I revise. It's mainly the researchers that I get confused with, remembering their names etc.
Original post by dani t
about august

You're amazing, my inspiration :smile:
See that makes me happy, I haven't started yet and properly would not till Easter holiday because of silly English Literature coursework. The sad bit is that I've been working hard on it for a while yet my teachers give terrible, harsh feedback. I'm all for constructive criticism but my goodness, not roasting especially when efforts were made. Any way, I want to start revision soon and I'm upset I haven't started!!
I'm doing 15 hours a week (or trying to) and have been for about 6 weeks!! Hoping for 3 A's!! :smile:
Night before jobs for the lot of them. Got ABB, was predicted AAA. Busy playing sport. Missed my Durham offer but got into Leeds for Politics.
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Night before jobs for the lot of them. Got ABB, was predicted AAA. Busy playing sport. Missed my Durham offer but got into Leeds for Politics.

Night before? What? You studied the night before I got those grades :redface:
Original post by Cherry82
Night before? What? You studied the night before I got those grades :redface:

My school was pretty kick-*** to be fair and a fair chunk was coursework and AS, in subjects I somewhat enjoyed (Politics, History, less so Eng Lang).

I put myself in the 'good at getting by' bracket, as opposed to ridiculous smart i.e. A* in blagonometry.

They're decent grades though! But AAA was Durham and I failed miserably! :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
I started revising in Easter and did 9-mid afternoon most days (library's closed Sunday&Monday so did maybe 3-4 hours at home) and this continued more or less through study leave. I actually did the most exercise during study leave too - day was split between revision and gym/rugby/fitness (much like it is now for my uni revision) which I strongly recommend, because you do the work, then do exercise and are tired so you sleep well and you can rise early enough to make the day productive!

That guy saying he started revising in August is insane - how can you revise when you're still learning??

Besides, it's not about the number of hours you do. Me doing 10hours straight of writing notes is absolutely useless because that's not how I learn; doing a past paper would be best.

So if you're doing a technical subject, don't count in hours, just try to get through all the past papers between now and exams (maybe not maths, there are bloody millions).

If there aren't many papers then do book exercises or online questions until nearer the exam. Better yet, do the papers now and then when you do them nearer the time you'll have forgotten the answers. Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I do about 30 hours a week, but I will be doing more in the Easter holidays. I've been revising in bits and pieces since the start of the year, but started seriously in the last few weeks. I'm condensing all of my notes for History, Philosophy and Psychology, and then I'll be putting them on to flashcards, and then starting flashcards. For English Literature I'm picking out key themes and then making essay plans based on these themes, so making notes based on wider reading and poetry. Then I'm going to do past papers until exams start. I have 9 exams, 2 for History, 2 for Philosophy, 2 for Psychology, 1 for English Literature and 2 for General Studies.
Original post by ZolaCFC25
My school was pretty kick-*** to be fair and a fair chunk was coursework and AS in politics i somewhat enjoyed (Politics, History, less so Eng Lang).

I put myself in the 'good at getting by' bracket, as opposed to ridiculous smart i.e. A* in blagonometry.

They're decent grades though! But AAA was Durham and I failed miserably! :redface:

No that's still really good, I wish I could do that and have grades as yours. If I did that, I would get U grades.
Original post by OllieGCSEs
I started revising in Easter and did 9-mid afternoon most days (library's closed Sunday&Monday so did maybe 3-4 hours at home) and this continued more or less through study leave. I actually did the most exercise during study leave too - day was split between revision and gym/rugby/fitness (much like it is now for my uni revision) which I strongly recommend, because you do the work, then do exercise and are tired so you sleep well and you can rise early enough to make the day productive!

That guy saying he started revising in August is insane - how can you revise when you're still learning??

Besides, it's not about the number of hours you do. Me doing 10hours straight of writing notes is absolutely useless because that's not how I learn; doing a past paper would be best.

So if you're doing a technical subject, don't count in hours, just try to get through all the past papers between now and exams (maybe not maths, there are bloody millions).

If there aren't many papers then do book exercises or online questions until nearer the exam. Better yet, do the papers now and then when you do them nearer the time you'll have forgotten the answers. Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, I think it's very possible. I have friends who taught themselves the content once their GCSEs were over, leading onto the summer break. In September they already had notes and knew a good 60% of their subjects. Instead throughout the year, they used the year to solidify their notes, updating them and doing past papers.
But these people are very hardcore workers, me personally, I couldn't do that. I agree about quality and not quantity. Instead of going out in the summer, they made an AS summer school study group to teach each other the content. It definitely paid off. Though I couldn't do that I now wish I had followed them when I was invited to join. All of them are now receiving offers from top universities even though they have not applied for any and go to trips etc partying, confident that they know the content while I'm here still trying to study. Damn it...if I knew!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest