This discussion is closed.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B765 - Welfare Reform Bill 2015, TSR Conservative and Unionist Party

Welfare Reform Act 2015

A bill to significantly reduce the deficit and end the concept of universal welfare.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Equality among adults
(1) Every adult under pensionable age in the UK will now receive a resident’s income of £94 per week other than those impacted in section 2 of this act.

2. Halving and abolition of the residents income
(1) All adults below pensionable age earning between £30k and £50k per annum will now receive £47 per week
(2) All adults below pensionable age earning above £50k per annum will no longer receive the resident’s income

3. Abolition of inflation link
(1) B602 is hereby abolished

4. Commencement, Extent and Short Title
(1) This Act may be cited as the Welfare reform Act 2015
(2) This bill shall extend to the whole of the United Kingdom
(3) Shall come into force on 1st April 2015.

Notes
Section 1 exists purely to make costing easier. As per B489, the first adult in a household gets more than each subsequent adult. Section 1 gives all adults an equal resident’s income.

Section 2 means tests the resident’s income and removes the concept of universal welfare for the rich. It is currently conceivable that households earning in excess of £60k could be receiving over £15k combined in welfare. As the Mhoc currently has an income tax rate of 50% for those earning £50k, this level was chosen.

B602 bound parliament to ever increasing costs, this act removes it.

Costing for Section 1.
(1) As per the notes of B489 there are 3.8 million households receiving more than the subsequent amount of resident’s income at a cost of £33.1bn. The enaction of section 1 of this act reduces that cost to ~£18.6bn with an annual resident’s income of £4888 to all 3.8 million households.
Costing for Section 2
Part 1 – There are ~5.5 million taxpayers earning between £30k and £50k. Reducing these residents’ income payments from £4,888 to £2,444 per person per annum will reduce the cost of providing the residents income from ~£26.9bn to ~£13.4bn.
Part 2 – There are ~2 million taxpayers earning above £50k. Abolition of their residents income payments will save the Mhoc finances ~£9.8bn
Costing for Section 3
B602 requires the residents income to rise with inflation annually. By passing this bill before April 1st we will only have to take into account a single RPI rate of 2.6% from October 2013 which will have been applied to the resident income payments of April 2014 onward. Using the total number of adults receiving the residents income in B489 we get a total expenditure of £336.6bn for which the cost to section 3 is ((336.6bn*1.026)-336.6bn) which is ~£8.8bn.

Total Savings..
Section 1: +£14.5bn (33.1-18.6)
Section 2.1: +£13.5bn (26.9-13.4)
Section 2.2: +£9.8bn (4,888*2,000,000)
Section 3: -£8.8bn

Total: £29bn

October 2013 RPI figure..
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/finance/ret...priceindex.htm

Welfare and tax amendment Act 2012
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2111467

Welfare amendment Act 2013
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2488019
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is the status of pensions in TSRland?

If I can be reassured of that, I think this bill is sensible.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)

As was pointed out when the Green Party recently did a bill on pensions () there are no pensions in TSR-land. These have been replaced by the RI.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
As was pointed out when the Green Party recently did a bill on pensions () there are no pensions in TSR-land. These have been replaced by the RI.
So this bill would completely remove income from pensioners?!

If they can sort this out it's in all likelihood an aye.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)

Pensions were replaced with the RI as per B489. The current status..

1st pensioner (65+ years): £132 --> £132
Subsequent pensioners (65+ years): £69 --> £60.50
(Original post by O133)
So this bill would completely remove income from pensioners?!

If they can sort this out it's in all likelihood an aye.
This bill does nothing to pensioners or children receiving the RI.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Pensions were replaced with the RI as per B489. The current status..

This bill does nothing to pensioners or children receiving the RI.
OK. It's not especially clear though.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
OK. It's not especially clear though.
I'll amend the notes for the next reading/vote. The intention was to get the major financial changes out of the way in this bill and then for the next bill there's a few reforms that can be made and we can possibly take on board the opt-out idea from the Greens.

For anybody else wondering why they should vote for this. This bill saves £29bn a year which means the Mhoc is in surplus in 2 years since we are already £30bn better off than RL. It also takes the RI away from those who frankly don't need it.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definite aye!
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Looks like the Tories will be fulfilling our manifesto commitments *sigh*

Any 'Aye' from me.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anybody oppose this or want changes for second reading or are you all so enthralled that you've already decided to vote Aye.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anybody oppose this or want changes for second reading or are you all so enthralled that you've already decided to vote Aye.
I would like to see the £47 become £40 to make a few more savings but it's not major and I'll still be voting aye.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I would like to see the £47 become £40 to make a few more savings but it's not major and I'll still be voting aye.
Personally i'd be happy to but we felt that the left would be more likely to accept £47 and with the costing for the other bill done, it was an easy calculation to halve it.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's the current RI right now?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
What's the current RI right now?
1st adult (16-64 years): £164.00 per week
Subsequent adults (16-64 years): £94.00 per week
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
First adult? This is done on a family basis?? That is wide open to abuse.

although I'm not keen on means testing.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
First adult? This is done on a family basis?? That is wide open to abuse.

although I'm not keen on means testing.
Hence why section 1 of this bill deals with that.

The abolition of universal welfare is something i will not compromise on.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hence why section 1 of this bill deals with that.

The abolition of universal welfare is something i will not compromise on.
But studies, I will try to find one now, have shown that universal incomes make people happier and increase productivity of the work force. I remember reading about it happening in a Canadian town and it has a lot of benifits.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
But studies, I will try to find one now, have shown that universal incomes make people happier and increase productivity of the work force. I remember reading about it happening in a Canadian town and it has a lot of benifits.
And everybody earning below £50k will still receive one.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And everybody earning below £50k will still receive one.
And what if my circumstances suddenly changed. Also, if end the universalality of it what about those people who are disabled and might need support for that which the RI currently gives.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
And what if my circumstances suddenly changed. Also, if end the universalality of it what about those people who are disabled and might need support for that which the RI currently gives.
If your earning £50k then disabled or not you don't need the state to throw money at you. If your circumstances change then you tell the government and you'll get the RI as you would start getting welfare now.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
15.28%
The paper was reasonable (959)
55.72%
Not feeling great about that exam... (370)
21.5%
It was TERRIBLE (129)
7.5%

Watched Threads