DannyJoeyCole
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I KNOW MOST OF YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND OR CARE ABOUT POLITICS,
BUT HERE’S AN IMPORTANT, BRIEF SUMMARY OF
WHY I DON’T VTE:

Our wonderful government is in the deepest national dept since World War 2 - Their solution? Spend at least £97 Billion we don’t have on updating nuclear weapons. Political campaigns/parties have private sponsors that fund them (usually it’s from CEOs or Lords involved with big companies that coincidently don’t give much tax). This is a great interest to them because regardless of whom you vote for, the richest party win majorityof power every time. The purpose of voting is to give people the illusion of choice (I’d imagine to prevent riots). They have done for centuries. You may have heard that prime ministers are just puppets – that’s why.

So even if you voted for a party that would spend this money on something a bit more sensible than updating nuclear weaponry, you would be voting for broken promises, like the ones most of us have heard about, seen and been affected by time and time again. The current party is Conservatives (meaning traditional and anti-change). They were supposedly elected by public votes (that’s what democracy is) but there is no democracy.

So I vote for my independents thoughts, voice and actions to be free, not psychological manipulation by mass media and enforcement into obeying orders by an authority in uniforms who chose to obey a higher power’s rules over freedom or basic human morality. I recently read a quote stating ‘I don’t want you to think like me, I just want you to think’. So on that note, think about this quotation from legendary graffiti artist, Banksy: ‘Most people never use their initiative because no-one ever told them to’.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you upset we have the fastest growing economy in the developed world and the highest employment numbers ever?

P.S.

its a coalition government, not a Conservative government.
Asurat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not exactly an economics whizz but inflation would mean that we'd get more debt over a century anyway, plus as a member of Nato we have to spend 2% of our GDP on defence, inclusive of Nuclear weapons.
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How does not voting change anything, OP? And your assumption that voting is a mode of control is just laughable, given how there are plenty of examples of elections and politicians who have transformed things for the better in the face of the rich and powerful.
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I vote because I am a High Tory and believe the Liberty comes with duty to use it. So I currently have the Liberty to vote and I will just because I can. In the end though the government as an institution will continue to increase its power. So I must look to the other institutions within the nation state that can constrain it. The Monarchy, Church of England and Aristocracy.
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gladders)
How does not voting change anything, OP? And your assumption that voting is a mode of control is just laughable, given how there are plenty of examples of elections and politicians who have transformed things for the better in the face of the rich and powerful.
The government controls the guns, so it can do whatever it likes. Rich and power people be damned.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by william walker)
The government controls the guns, so it can do whatever it likes. Rich and power people be damned.
Funny, I never saw a gun pointed at me in the last polling booth I entered.
Octohedral
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really like that Banksy quote. It's so true.

However, I'm not totally sure it applies here. The system isn't perfect, but in theory if a large proportion of the population had a problem with the ruling parties then (within the system) it would be possible for a fringe party to gain considerable power. The truth is, most of the population are quite happy with Labour / Conservative, and couldn't care less so long as their reasonable quality of life continues.

There is also the problem that it is:
1. Virtually impossible to have a state in which everyone's opinion counts. At the very least such a state would be extremely weak - democracies are already weaker than dictatorships, it's just that we're willing to make that sacrifice not to be ruled by a dictator.
2. Not desirable either (have you seen the general public?)

By that argument, any effective country must be run by a small elite. The difference in our system is that:
1. Anyone can become part of that elite - for some it's harder than others, and that has to be improved, but social mobility is pretty good here, and getting better.
2. Without changing the law, it would be possible to remove the two giant parties through public vote alone, if public opinion was so dissatisfied.

I think your best bet is - vote or don't vote - but become an expert in something and get a job advising the government. Luckily, we live in a country where you can do that.
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It would have been better if you had simply said "Because they're all untrustworthy *****."
HigherMinion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Let's put it this way: if the sensible people who just got on with their lives didn't vote, the only people voting would be the screaming vocal minority leftists who want to destroy the fabric of the nation. Voting is rather important, but not as important as public discourse and debate. As Peter Hitchens puts it: "if there's nothing in a shop that you want to buy, you don't buy anything." However, if conservatives stop voting, the Conservative party will see this as a "we're out of touch with Britain, so let's become more left wing". Nobody wants to see that.
DannyJoeyCole
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Are you upset we have the fastest growing economy in the developed world and the highest employment numbers ever?

P.S.

its a coalition government, not a Conservative government.
No. And in what way would that relevant to not voting anyway?If I was upset I would simply complain about it or vote for change, right?
Money is a currency that puts a price on items; it doesn’tchange value, but suggests the idea that it does. An apple has the value of anapple, whether it’s a penny or a million pounds to buy. The value is how muchyou believe you need it. Just because as a country we are manufacturing andselling more products we don’t need doesn’t generate improvement. Neither doeshaving the highest numbers of employment. Don’t get me wrong, it is definitely helpfulbut it’s countered by the dramatic increase of the population.
Also I stated that Conservative party were the apparentwinners of the last election. I never said it wasn’t a coalition government.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HigherMinion)
screaming vocal minority leftists who want to destroy the fabric of the nation.
I'd love to hear more about how left wingers want to "destroy the fabric of the nation".
HigherMinion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
I'd love to hear more about how left wingers want to "destroy the fabric of the nation".
>muh entitlements,
>muh welfare,
>muh victim complex,
>muh individualism,
>muh shaming
>muh rape culture (!!)
>muh dik
>muh traditions are oppressive (!!)
>muh gender/race is a social construct (!!)

I'm of course talking about progressive feminists and Marxists. You know the kind- "my rights end where your feelings begin" kind.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
>muh entitlements,
>muh welfare,
What's wrong with having a welfare system?
HigherMinion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What's wrong with having a welfare system?
Not a lot, given the right parameters. You can't have mass immigration + the expansive welfare we have now, though. It will bankrupt the system.

Anyway, this is off-topic now. The point is we need a party to represent those non-voters. UKIP helped but not enough. We need to be out of the EU before the proper traditionalist parties can be formed.
Burty123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I seriously dont understand peoples concerns. We live in one of the safest, cleanest, healthiest, best economically run countries in the world. We are provided free health care, free education up to degree level (think about how you dont repay till stable +21k job), good transport, good infrastructure, good level of jobs, yet people moan!!! Yes one party may raise a particular tax, or bring in a policy that benefits someone else more than you, but if you dont like it move elsewhere... didnt think so because you realise how good youve got it!

P.S I think the OP has been watching too much V for Vendetta or is in that 15 year old phase where our minds were expanding and we started believe every conspiracy theory that arrived infront of us.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DannyJoeyCole)
No. And in what way would that relevant to not voting anyway?If I was upset I would simply complain about it or vote for change, right?
Money is a currency that puts a price on items; it doesn’tchange value, but suggests the idea that it does. An apple has the value of anapple, whether it’s a penny or a million pounds to buy. The value is how muchyou believe you need it. Just because as a country we are manufacturing andselling more products we don’t need doesn’t generate improvement. Neither doeshaving the highest numbers of employment. Don’t get me wrong, it is definitely helpfulbut it’s countered by the dramatic increase of the population.
Also I stated that Conservative party were the apparentwinners of the last election. I never said it wasn’t a coalition government.
But it is a coalition Goverment.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This guy ha something for everything.

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co...t-fallacy.html

:adore:

"The Tory ideological obsession with globalisation and privatisation has led to the situation that loads of formerly taxpayer owned British industrial and service sector infrastructure has fallen under foreign ownership; from power stations (France) to rail franchises (France, Germany, Netherlands); from mains water supplies (France, Germany) to steel factories (India); and from many of Britain's biggest airports (Spain) to HMRC tax offices (Bermuda)."

What is also funny is that the french own our rail ways and they then use that money to fund their own superior public transport system :teehee:
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Let's put it this way: if the sensible people who just got on with their lives didn't vote, the only people voting would be the screaming vocal minority leftists who want to destroy the fabric of the nation.

I do admit to not giving a toss about 'patriotism' though. Left or right globalization is going to water down your 'patriotism'
MaxReid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To vote is to be free and is the hallmark of a stable democratic society. I'm afraid for those who abstain from voting and can't seem to understand why the government doesn't represent them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (55)
13.99%
Virtual campus tours/open days (90)
22.9%
Live streaming events (38)
9.67%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (38)
9.67%
A uni comparison tool (88)
22.39%
An in-person event when available (84)
21.37%