Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could do we some help.. Struggling to remember findings of some studies.

theres 15 studies in total, can you please share revision tips?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    I tend to look back over the mark schemes for previous exams to know exactly what pieces of information they're looking for.

An issue with this is that Samuel & Bryant's conservation study has never been looked at with it's results in Section B. And I feel that it's going to come up sometime soon (last time it came up was Jan 2011). So if you like that study, look at all the good detail in any resources your teachers given you.

For other studies, here's an example from June 2013 of the sort of stuff you need to remember.
    Baron-Cohen:

The Eyes Task:
    - The mean score for adults with autism/AS was 16.3/25 whereas it was
    20.3/25 for normal participants and 20.4/25 for those with Tourette
    syndrome
    - The range of correct answers was 13-23 for those with autism/AS, 16-25 for normal participants and 16-25 for those with Tourette syndrome /greater for those with autism/AS than either those with Tourette syndrome or normal adults
    - Within the normal group males did less well with a mean score = 18.8/25
    than females whose mean score was 21.8/25
    - Normal males performed significantly better with a mean average =
    18.8/25 than those with autism/AS whose mean score was 16.3/25

The Strange Stories Task:
    - No participants with Tourettes syndrome made any
    mistakes / participants with TS scored 100%, whereas those with
    autism/AS were significantly impaired

The Gender Recognition Task:
    - There were no significant differences between the groups
    - Those with autism/AS had a mean score of 24.1/25, those with Tourette
    syndrome had a mean score of 23.7/25 and normal adults had a mean
    score of 23.3/25
    - Within the normal group males performed better with a mean score of
    24.0/25 compared to females with a mean score of 23.8/25.

The Basic Emotion Recognition Task
    - There were no significant differences between the groups

Not everything has to be 100% accurate and you just need to have a good idea for the results and the scores.

ReputationRep:
    i also think that Samuel and Bryant is likely to come up in section B,also it is likely that Maguire and milgram might come up

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I took this exam last year and I know how difficult it can seem to remember all of these studies! The main revision tip I would share would be section A questions, keep practising them and try them without notes. If you struggle to answer a particular question you will identify areas of a study that you are not so confident with, so instead of going through the entire study again you just go over the key areas that you struggle with.

For the approaches and perspectives for me it was just a case of writing them out again- you can eliminate the cognitive approach and behaviourist perspective this year as they came up in the June 2014 exam and I've never seen OCR repeat approaches 2 years in a row.

I found that discussing the studies with other people also helped me to remember them.

Hope this helps and if people have questions about the A2 course as well I will be happy to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claros)
    Hello

I took this exam last year and I know how difficult it can seem to remember all of these studies! The main revision tip I would share would be section A questions, keep practising them and try them without notes. If you struggle to answer a particular question you will identify areas of a study that you are not so confident with, so instead of going through the entire study again you just go over the key areas that you struggle with.

For the approaches and perspectives for me it was just a case of writing them out again- you can eliminate the cognitive approach and behaviourist perspective this year as they came up in the June 2014 exam and I've never seen OCR repeat approaches 2 years in a row.

I found that discussing the studies with other people also helped me to remember them.

Hope this helps and if people have questions about the A2 course as well I will be happy to answer them.
    Hey there!

I really need to get a B or a C overall in A level this year. I was 3 marks of a B in psychological investigations, but unfortunately I got an E in core studies so I have to resit it. I am preparing for it now. I was just wondering if you have any general revision tips for G543 and G544? All the case studies are so hard to remember!
    I am struggling especially with section B questions in G543 relating to the case studies from different topic e.g. stress, disorders etc.

Thank you,

Ayesha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyeshaAK)
    Hey there!

I really need to get a B or a C overall in A level this year. I was 3 marks of a B in psychological investigations, but unfortunately I got an E in core studies so I have to resit it. I am preparing for it now. I was just wondering if you have any general revision tips for G543 and G544? All the case studies are so hard to remember!
    I am struggling especially with section B questions in G543 relating to the case studies from different topic e.g. stress, disorders etc.

Thank you,

Ayesha
    For remembering the case studies in G543 I made revision cards on each of the studies and then got my mum to test me on them until I could recite the details from each study by heart. For section B there are a few types of question you can get, for example:
    • Evaluation questions
    • Comparison questions
    • 'To what extent' questions

If you're struggling to remember points for specific studies, remember the key issues: Generalisability, Reliability, Usefulness, Validity, Ecological validity and Ethics (G.R.U.V.E.E - my teacher came up with this). This will help you to think of good evaluative points. From what you know of the studies hopefully you'll just be able to make up points.

For the G544 you need to just revise the key statistical tests (chi square, spearman's rho etc.) and remember the key points for your practical project (where is it, what time is it, who is your sample and how are you obtaining it etc). For the second part you can use both A2 and AS studies (it serves you well that you're resitting core studies because they can also apply to this part of the exam). What I would do is think of all the debates and issues, then create a table with all the studies and tick for each study whether they fit into or support a certain debate or method. That way you will have examples to draw from in the exam.

Hope this helps, I don't want to hijack this thread too much so if you have any more questions send me a visitor message (I have pms disabled).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2015
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.