The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

University of Leicester or Royal Holloway

I've currently applied to do Economics Bsc for both universities and have received offers from both of these universities.... They both have offered me the same entry requirements which is ABB.....

I know that some of you may be wondering why I'm questioning these choices as Leicester is currently ranked higher than royal holloway in the league tables, but I'm not applying just for reputation... I want to actually enjoy being there in university and I want to know what you all think? I can't decide on which one to pick....

Leicester is higher in rankings for economics

Royal Holloway is lower down in rankings, but it has a castle and it looks so much better! and it's in London (I'm from London)

help?
If you were in my situation, what would you choose?

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
If I were in your position, I'd choose RHUL, but then I'm biased :smile:

It's not in London though - it takes about 50 minutes to get to London Waterloo by train. But there's still plenty of fun to be had locally if you're willing to go look for it. Maybe compare what sport clubs & societies each offer that you're interested in?
Original post by Bustamove
I've currently applied to do Economics Bsc for both universities and have received offers from both of these universities.... They both have offered me the same entry requirements which is ABB.....

I know that some of you may be wondering why I'm questioning these choices as Leicester is currently ranked higher than royal holloway in the league tables, but I'm not applying just for reputation... I want to actually enjoy being there in university and I want to know what you all think? I can't decide on which one to pick....

Leicester is higher in rankings for economics

Royal Holloway is lower down in rankings, but it has a castle and it looks so much better! and it's in London (I'm from London)

help?
If you were in my situation, what would you choose?

Hi there!

Have you visited both universities? One of the best ways to gauge which university you like best is to visit them, speak to current students and academics and find out if you can imagine yourself living and studying there for the next 3 years.

You are right in choosing a university is not just about reputation, it's about where you think you benefit from the most in terms of academic and personal development, and where you'd feel most at home in.

I would say that Royal Holloway is closer to London so you may have have quicker and easier connections to the capital's economic hub, which would be useful for placements. You could take look at the Economics department's career page for more of an insight into this: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/economics/yourfuturecareer/home.aspx

Although, if you are concerned about rankings, according to the Research Excellence Framework 2014, our Economics department has been ranked 9th out of 28 Economics departments in the UK. So it is within the top 10 best Economics departments in the country for academic research.

I hope some of this helps. If you're still stuck, my advice is to try and visit us so you can get a real feel for yourself, if you haven't done so already!

Best,

Emily
Reply 4
hi..I got offer letters for Msc in International Management from both the Universities.But im still biased what to choose.Though Leicester is hugh in ranking,RHUL seems to be good in environment.I need to land where can i have career oppurtunites..numbers doesnt matter..so someone guide me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending