ozmo19
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Quite confused in regards to my a-level choices.
Maths, Biology and Chemistry are definite as i am considering medicine however, I am also considering careers in biochemistry, research, finance, investment b'.
I was planning on taking ICT in addition to the three above instead of physics as it would only happen through collaboration. Or is there a better alternative?
Anyway, i also wanted to know how difficult economics a-level is, what exam board do you think is best from experience and which has the most/best resources and books for?

For the record, i am predicted 9A* and 2A for GCSEs.
BC95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ozmo19)
Maths, Biology and Chemistry are definite as i am considering medicine however, I am also considering careers in biochemistry, research, finance, investment b'.
I was planning on taking ICT in addition to the three above instead of physics as it would only happen through collaboration. Or is there a better alternative?
Anyway, i also wanted to know how difficult economics a-level is, what exam board do you think is best from experience and which has the most/best resources and books for?

Hey there,

I did economics at A-level. I personally found it quite difficult but also very interesting and certainly worthwhile.

My exam board was AQA which has an abundance of dedicated text books.

Check this website out to get an idea of the AQA criteria:

www.petragrade.com
TopLadXYZ
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if you've even considered doing medicine then you are too thick to do economics

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
skeptical_john
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I'm self studying economics with edexcel. There is plenty of resources out there for all the exam boards so hard to say which is best.

Economics is certainly one of the more difficult a-levels but with those grades I dont see why you would have any problems.
Manny_khalae
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah in Same situation! I would say try it

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Etudiant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ozmo19)

You seem intelligent enough to handle 4+ A-Levels and although I don't fully understand what the changes to A-Levels from September 2015 will mean I suggest you do the following:

Medicine

1. Mathematics
2. Biology
3. Chemistry

For Finance or other options

4. Further Mathematics
5. Economics

If you begin self-teaching Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry at home during the summer holidays then perhaps your workload won't feel that big. I don't see a point in doing Physics if you're unsure of whether to go into Medicine or Finance. Most (top) universities will ask for Further Maths, you can still do the Mechanics modules if you want to do a bit of Physics. The 5 options I have listed should be enough.

I am on the OCR board for economics and there are plenty of resources available for you to use to self-teach.

Good luck
oaisis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can self teach AQA AS economics - I did it alongside my GCSEs.

A2 is another story
IDK Tuition
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by oaisis)
You can self teach AQA AS economics - I did it alongside my GCSEs.

A2 is another story
Hello,

I've taught AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC exam boards. My preferred exam boards are AQA and Edexcel:
-AQA has multiple choice in both AS-level exams with predictable questions layouts.
-Edexcel only has multiple choice in unit 1, but not unit 2.

I'd agree with Oaisis in that A2 is quite a bit more difficult than AS. The questions are longer and it's much harder to gauge whether you know the content as there is no multiple choice.

This being said, a student of your ability should be aiming for 90%+ at AS-level and at least an A overall. Economics is not a difficult A-level. Conceptually the content is much easier than say maths, further maths or physics; but a LOT of students fall down on exam technique.

You'll find that physics and further maths are far more versatile than economics, though you'll need to demonstrate your interest in the subject elswehere should you wish to study it at university. I strongly recommend avoiding ICT.

Hope this helps,

Tom (IDK-tuition.com, free online economics videos and resources)
oaisis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IDK Tuition)
Hello,

I've taught AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC exam boards. My preferred exam boards are AQA and Edexcel:
-AQA has multiple choice in both AS-level exams with predictable questions layouts.

I'd agree with Oaisis in that A2 is quite a bit more difficult than AS. The questions are longer and it's much harder to gauge whether you know the content as there is no multiple choice.

This being said, a student of your ability should be aiming for 90%+ at AS-level and at least an A overall. Economics is not a difficult A-level. Conceptually the content is much easier than say maths, further maths or physics; but a LOT of students fall down on exam technique.

You'll find that physics and further maths are far more versatile than economics, though you'll need to demonstrate your interest in the subject elswehere should you wish to study it at university. I strongly recommend avoiding ICT.

Hope this helps,

Hi Tom,

Could you please describe the structure of a 15 mark and a 25 mark essay at A2 for AQA and show an example of evaluation?
ozmo19
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by IDK Tuition)
Hello,

Hope this helps,

Thanks for the information. Feel a lot more confident with my choice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (606)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (749)
41.87%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (354)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.47%

Watched Threads