Mann Whitney U Test help? Watch

riku-san
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#1
'sup, I was off when my class did the mann whitney u test for the EDEXCEL unit 2 practical and my teacher keeps saying she's too busy to go through it with me, does anyone have any notes or help about what it is etc. because I haven't got a clue and my textbook is confusing me!
0
reply
TheFinalFlare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
#2
Report 4 years ago
#2
Hey there,

A Mann-Witney U is a inferential statistical test that is used in order to examine the significance of results from research, which will help indicate whether you will accept or reject the null hypothesis. With inferential statistical tests such as Mann-Witney U, you'll be making use of them when you conduct your practical (evidence of practice). If you've already conducted it, then it may potentially be easier to understand this as you can apply its use to your results.

Mann-Witney U will be used if your research consists of the following criteria:
- You have collected either ordinal or interval data
- You have used an independent measures design
- You are carrying out a test of difference

When your Mann-Witney U has been carried out, a result will be produced at the end of it - this is referred to as the observed value. This value will then be compared to a critical value to see if your result is signiciant. In order for your result to be significant, your observed value needs to be equal to or less than the critical value.

For example, if my observed value is 34 and the critical value is 27, this will mean that my result is significant as the observed value is less than the critical value.

In general, when carrying out a statistical test, you'll have a level of significance (which is referred to the a p-value; it is the probability of something happening by chance). With Edexcel psychology, you'll have to be aware that the frequency used level of significance is p≤0.05. This means that there is a 5% chance that the results are due to chance, but you are 95% sure that you've accepted your hypothesis correctly.

In regards to the significance of the results, if you result is not significant, then you are 95% sure that there is no difference in regard to the variables you were measuring and any difference is due to chance. If your result is significant, then you are 95% sure that your own alternative hypothesis is correct.

If we go with my previous example of my observed value being 34 (meaning my result is significant because it is below the critical value), because of my result being significant, this means that I am 95% sure that my alternative hypothesis is correct, but there is a 5% chance that the results were due to chance.

Hopefully this all makes sense, as I can see how it can be confusing to understand ^^ I'm currently doing A2 Edexcel Psychology and managed to acquire an A at AS, so if you ever want to ask me anything, feel free to send me a message
1
reply
riku-san
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#3
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#3
(Original post by TheFinalFlare)
Hey there,

A Mann-Witney U is a inferential statistical test that is used in order to examine the significance of results from research, which will help indicate whether you will accept or reject the null hypothesis. With inferential statistical tests such as Mann-Witney U, you'll be making use of them when you conduct your practical (evidence of practice). If you've already conducted it, then it may potentially be easier to understand this as you can apply its use to your results.

Mann-Witney U will be used if your research consists of the following criteria:
- You have collected either ordinal or interval data
- You have used an independent measures design
- You are carrying out a test of difference

When your Mann-Witney U has been carried out, a result will be produced at the end of it - this is referred to as the observed value. This value will then be compared to a critical value to see if your result is signiciant. In order for your result to be significant, your observed value needs to be more or less than the critical value.

For example, if my observed value is 34 and the critical value is 27, this will mean that my result is significant as the observed value is less than the critical value.

In general, when carrying out a statistical test, you'll have a level of significance (which is referred to the a p-value; it is the probability of something happening by chance). With Edexcel psychology, you'll have to be aware that the frequency used level of significance is p≤0.05. This means that there is a 5% chance that the results are due to chance, but you are 95% sure that you've accepted your hypothesis correctly.

In regards to the significance of the results, if you result is not significant, then you are 95% sure that there is no difference in regard to the variables you were measuring and any difference is due to chance. If your result is significant, then you are 95% sure that your own alternative hypothesis is correct.

If we go with my previous example of my observed value being 34 (meaning my result is significant because it is below the critical value), because of my result being significant, this means that I am 95% sure that my alternative hypothesis is correct, but there is a 5% chance that the results were due to chance.

Hopefully this all makes sense, as I can see how it can be confusing to understand ^^ I'm currently doing A2 Edexcel Psychology and managed to acquire an A at AS, so if you ever want to ask me anything, feel free to send me a message
that actually helps a lot, thank you so much! I might have to message you since I'm struggling a bit with psychology (A's in my other subjects and C/D in psychology with my exams in like 6 weeks, ahh!), so thanks for the offer!
0
reply
TheFinalFlare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
#4
Report 4 years ago
#4
(Original post by riku-san)
that actually helps a lot, thank you so much! I might have to message you since I'm struggling a bit with psychology (A's in my other subjects and C/D in psychology with my exams in like 6 weeks, ahh!), so thanks for the offer!
Glad to see that it was helpful - no problem! And that's absolutely fine, I'll try to respond to any messages you may send me asap and try to help out in whatever way I can
0
reply
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#5
Report 4 years ago
#5
You can find tonnes of walk throughs on youtube / google.
0
reply
beyknowles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#6
Report 4 years ago
#6
(Original post by riku-san)
that actually helps a lot, thank you so much! I might have to message you since I'm struggling a bit with psychology (A's in my other subjects and C/D in psychology with my exams in like 6 weeks, ahh!), so thanks for the offer!
Wow you're finding it hard? I'm with Edexcel too and I find it's a real doss subject. I'm not even learning inferential tests like Mann-Whitney-U because it's boring and hard to learn, and by not learning the maximum marks I'll lose is about 2 to 3, so I'd rather risk losing these marks to focus on the other stuff like key issues which are annoying as ****
0
reply
riku-san
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#7
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#7
(Original post by beyknowles)
Wow you're finding it hard? I'm with Edexcel too and I find it's a real doss subject. I'm not even learning inferential tests like Mann-Whitney-U because it's boring and hard to learn, and by not learning the maximum marks I'll lose is about 2 to 3, so I'd rather risk losing these marks to focus on the other stuff like key issues which are annoying as ****
that makes sense, good luck with your exam! I really hope the questions are okay, I'm about to seriously start with my revision now : ) yes, the key issues are certainly a pain!
1
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (70)
15.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.02%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (82)
18.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
13.9%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (47)
10.71%
How can I be the best version of myself? (135)
30.75%

Watched Threads

View All