How come Tarquin can get into Oxford but Jimmy can't?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Yes this is a true story which was on the news awhile back but the names have been changed. In the real story 'Jimmy' went on to study at Harvard in the states who accepted him unconditionally after being rejected a place at Oxford.

No Jimmy isn't/wasn't a convicted rapist.
Back to the original post... nobody has mentioned the obvious point:
If "Jimmy" can afford to go to Harvard at a cost of about $36000 a year plus travel expenses (not to mention a $60 fee just to apply in the first place), one might suggest that Jimmy's family probably don't live on a council estate after all, and in fact, were probably easily rich enough to send their child to a private school if they had chosen to do so.

- ronald
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Back to the original post... nobody has mentioned the obvious point:
If "Jimmy" can afford to go to Harvard at a cost of about $36000 a year plus travel expenses (not to mention a $60 fee just to apply in the first place), one might suggest that Jimmy's family probably don't live on a council estate after all, and in fact, were probably easily rich enough to send their child to a private school if they had chosen to do so.

- ronald
'Jimmy' received a scholarship of over $75,000, enough to pay for all expenses!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Thats not actually correct. The figures show that ppl from private schools are more likely to get in! So the the interviewers are possibly taken in by their confidence, although I dont think it is their intention to be.
When I applied to Oxford (which was a few years ago now) the application ratio was 50% from state schools, 50% from private. And the acceptance rate was 50% from state schools, 50% from private. So far, so fair, but there were 5 times more state school people doing a levels, so there should have been 5 times more applications from them, assuming all other things equal. I can't believe that things have swung back in the favour of private school pupils since then...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tagzt)
what about the saudi prince whose family offered oxford 1 million pounds to give him a place and they still rejected him.
Well - maybe he was a real thicko!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
. Private schools are SELECTIVE. They SELECT people with potential. That's the difference. Furthermore, why do private school pupils have it easier? Just cos we may have a few extra netballs and a few more computers why on earth does that make life easier? and we most definitely do not have it "easy". I'm not saying we have it harder than others, just that we're on a much more similar level than people like you like to believe.

b x
So would you have got the same grades if you shared a class with 30 other people, not selected. Including thouse who are not capable of GCSE and those who just don't want to work. Oh and having to wait 20mins of a lesson to get onto the one working computer. And having to share text books. And then after school did you have to do a part time job? Did you have to do homework with the TV on full blast 'cos you didn't have your own room, or to the sound of cars racing outside? Did your haouse hav it's windows smashed during the night before you 'A' Level exam? No these are not made up, I don't believe it is typical of everyone but it is typical of the situation some of us studied in.

I'm not saying you didn't work hard but as you said yourself, you were selected, you had more equipment, your parents wanted you to have a good education. These are all advantages. Well done to your parents but do not try to make yourself sound hard done to.
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
So would you have got the same grades if you shared a class with 30 other people, not selected. Including thouse who are not capable of GCSE and those who just don't want to work. Oh and having to wait 20mins of a lesson to get onto the one working computer. And having to share text books. And then after school did you have to do a part time job? Did you have to do homework with the TV on full blast 'cos you didn't have your own room, or to the sound of cars racing outside? Did your haouse hav it's windows smashed during the night before you 'A' Level exam? No these are not made up, I don't believe it is typical of everyone but it is typical of the situation some of us studied in.

I'm not saying you didn't work hard but as you said yourself, you were selected, you had more equipment, your parents wanted you to have a good education. These are all advantages. Well done to your parents but do not try to make yourself sound hard done to.
Well said!!!! Some of these private school people just haven't a clue, have they?
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The former, penultimate, leading to the latter individual.

edders: dont reply to posts that im going to delete whitey, it means i have to edit this one too!
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by edders)
dont reply to posts that im going to delete whitey, it means i have to edit this one too!
But I like to criticise these people!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Jimmy would get in 99 times out of one hunderd. Tqn on the other hand, 33 times. Stop whining.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Tarquin's daddy built a new library?
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In reply to: How come Tarquin can get into Oxford but Jimmy can't?

Cuase he can just bloody well get in!
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Jimmie doesn't know how to use a door?
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Jimmies toooooo fat to fit through the door.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Tarquin's daddy built a new library?
Lol that is actually true for a student at my college.

Well, financed a new library with £14m...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What On Earth The Big Deal About All Of This? There Are Many People With Straight A Grades Who Get Rejected!!!! So Whats The Deal About Somebody Called Jimmy Being Rejected? Obviously Tarquin Must Ahve Had A Better Personal Statement, A Better Heritage, Looked And Sounded More Presentable At An Interview, Did More Extra Curricular Activity Stuff, Got Actual Higher Marks In His A-levels Than This Scratter From Newcastle Who Probably Doesnt Even Want To Go. Its Pretty Obvious. And There Are Like Hundreds Of People Better Than Jimmy Who Get Rejected, Better..............
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What On Earth The Big Deal About All Of This? There Are Many People With Straight A Grades Who Get Rejected!!!! So Whats The Deal About Somebody Called Jimmy Being Rejected? Obviously Tarquin Must Ahve Had A Better Personal Statement, A Better Heritage, Looked And Sounded More Presentable At An Interview, Did More Extra Curricular Activity Stuff, Got Actual Higher Marks In His A-levels Than This Scratter From Newcastle Who Probably Doesnt Even Want To Go. Its Pretty Obvious. And There Are Like Hundreds Of People Better Than Jimmy Who Get Rejected, Better..............
Better heritage? What has that got to do with anything?
pkonline
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But if you read the original post, the poster is making the general point about whether the type of school and class you are affects your chances.

You've listed things that the original poster has said are comparable to each person so the only difference are in background.
pkonline
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tagzt)
I think some people of this forum still have old-fashioned, mis-informed, deluded ideas about class, public schools etc...
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
I think some people of this forum still have old-fashioned, mis-informed, deluded ideas about class, public schools etc...
Yup, definitely

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tagzt)
i think he means they come from a better social background. if Oxbridge believes that this will contribute to better performance then it should be considered.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.25%
No (599)
65.75%

Watched Threads