The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations
Indu.Mitra
Congratulations

Wow. Reviving old threads from the dead.

Now that's something we should do every day.
not meaning to be bitter or anything, just it's always worth considering as many facts as possible don't you think?
if 'jimmy' and 'tarquin' is anything to do with the case that was championed by prescott a couple of years back, it's worth looking a bit further than the press sensationalism. a follow up story in 2003 showed that the girl in question was much happier going to harvard, that her father was an ambitious member of the labour party and that she was surprised by how much attention she got. another interesting fact is that she was applying for medicine, quite possibly one of the hardest courses to get a place on: there will have been quite a few people who didn't get places.
funny thing, my brother applied at the same time to do maths with a predicted 6 a's at a level (which he got) but didn't get in, he was from private school. he called a newspaper to ask if they fancied printing that story, they weren't interested. odd that.
i'm not saying that there isn't a bias, i'm not saying that there is, i just think that it always pays to steer clear of bandwagons and to bear in mind that private schools are in constant competition with each other, and the state sector and the principle of capitalism means they have to achieve certain standards to stay afloat.
that sounds a bit harsh, sounds like i'm saying private schools are better, will probably get a whole lot of reactions. oh well.
all i'll say in my defense is be prepared to keep your minds open to everything, including the possibility that whatever you hold as opinion may well be wrong and that if you're living in the west at this moment in time or have access to a computer (which you clearly do) then you're allready in the most privileged group in the world, so stop whining about unfairness and get on with living your life to the fullest without excuses and with people other than yourself in mind.
again, sorry if that sounds harsh, but there you go that's life for you.
Reply 123
I went to Oxford and know a member of the Spence interview panel... Why was she rejected? Cos she well and truely phooked up her interview, that's why! Didn't tell the papers that did she? :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending