Iran and Hezbollah scrapped from 'terrorist list' by US Intelligence Agencies

Watch
Tawheed
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago

The US National Intelligence has removed Iran and the Lebanese resistance movement, Hezbollah, from its list of "terrorist threats."US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper s[Edited Out]ped Iran and Hezbollah from the list in an annual report recently delivered to the US Senate, citing their efforts in fighting terrorists, including the ISIL Takfiri group.The unclassified version of the report titled “Worldwide Threat Assessment of the US Intelligence Communities,” which was released on February 26, 2015, noted Iran’s efforts to battle extremists, including those of the ISIL terrorist group, who were perceived to constitute the greatest terrorist threat to American interests worldwide.Highlighting Iran’s regional role, the report pointed to the Islamic Republic’s “intentions to dampen sectarianism, build responsive partners, and deescalate tensions with Saudi Arabia.”Iran has “overarching strategic goals of enhancing its security, prestige, and regional influence [that] have led it to pursue capabilities to meet its civilian goals,” the report said.The report also said that Hezbollah is countering ISIL Takfiri terrorists in Syria and Iraq.The ISIL Takfiri terrorists have taken control of swathes of territory in Iraq and Syria since last year.Iran has repeatedly stressed that it will not interfere militarily in Iraq and Syria, but the Islamic Republic continues to provide support to both countries against ISIL in the form of defense consultation and humanitarian aid.

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/03...rorist-threats
Tawheed
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This will certainly ruffle some anti-Iran, anti-Islam, pro-israel supporters. I await the backlash that will ensue in responses.
LockheedSpooky
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Removed from the list of active "threats" - NOT removed from the terrorist list.

Iran is the most prolific state sponsor of terrorism and is listed as such by many nations.

Just because the Iranians are in the fight against ISIS, does not make them our friends. Just as the mujahedin in Afghanistan were no friends of ours despite being in the fight against the Soviets.

I detest the Iranian regime.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oohh. A press TV news article.

Looks like the sanctions worked
flibber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have mixed feelings on this.

Firstly, I certainly don't believe that Iran will commit a terrorist attack on the West.

Given that Iran has backed a regime in Syria which terrorises its own civilians with barrel bombs, even if Assad won't send suicide bombers to kill our citizens like ISIS or Al-Qaeda, it's not exactly a time to call the IRI 'good'. I appreciate that Qassem Soleimani and his Quds Force has been vital in pushing back ISIS, I really hope they won't commit any more crimes against Sunni civilians in Iraq, as that discriminatory attitude was what led many Sunnis to support, or at least tolerate or not resist, ISIS. If Iran manages to discipline Shia militias to treat all Sunni civilians with respect, then Iran's help is constructive. If not, it'll only lay the seeds for another war in Iraq.

There is no perfect player in the complex wars in Iraq and Syria. Even the Iraqi Kurds haven't been as unified in the past as we thought (-->KDP-PUK war of 1994-1997).

I am an objective observer who attempts to offer a fair opinions on all parties in a conflict. I do not support Israel either, its long list of crimes against Palestinian civilians should have been condemned long ago...
Ghost.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The iranian people hate this regime, but let's not forget that the usa and uk help put this regime into power.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.64%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.55%
I need help with my personal statement (82)
41.41%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (50)
25.25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.52%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.58%

Watched Threads