The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Anyone offered a general degree with rejection?

I got rejected for History last week due to academics being lower than others.is it worth writing and asking to be considered for a general degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hi there,

The general degree is not for school leavers.. Assuming that you are one?

Sorry to hear about your rejection though. Have you offers from elsewhere? If not then you can always try again next year.

(edited 9 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Not a school leaver no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Elijah113
Not a school leaver no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is too late i would think too as the application is through UCAS.
Reply 4
Ah I see ,I'll try and get in touch and speak with admissions -maybe extra is a possibility

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Elijah113
Ah I see ,I'll try and get in touch and speak with admissions -maybe extra is a possibility

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yes you could do. Just to note though, application for the General Degree at St Andrews through extra is only open to applicants outside the EU.
Hi, I'm currently at St Andrews and as far as I'm aware the only people I've ever known to get a General Degree have begun an honours degree course (so like the History one you went for) and then switched in 3rd year...it's sort of like trying for a PhD and not getting one but being awarded with an MPhil (not to disparage people with an MPhil or a General Degree - I don't even have a degree of any sort yet so they're doing better than I am).
Original post by penguinsocks
Hi, I'm currently at St Andrews and as far as I'm aware the only people I've ever known to get a General Degree have begun an honours degree course (so like the History one you went for) and then switched in 3rd year...it's sort of like trying for a PhD and not getting one but being awarded with an MPhil (not to disparage people with an MPhil or a General Degree - I don't even have a degree of any sort yet so they're doing better than I am).

You can apply to do a general degree then switch to another degree or vice versa or just go for the general degree on its own. I think its mainly to let people get their foot in the door when they don't have the usual qualifications gained from school and to let them try a variety of subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending