Atheists banned from getting married in Oklahoma

Watch
Pickles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Oklahoma are banning atheists from getting married. The bill was agreed in the Oklahoma state house last week, it will now go to the state Senate for consideration.

What do you think about this?
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this going to be another one of those idiotic laws that achieves nothing but grandstanding for a few months, before being struck down by the supreme court?
jakeel1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am still wondering why politics is based on the whims of idiots instead of sound social science.
simon_g
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
any link to a somehow credible source?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by simon_g)
any link to a somehow credible source?
There are plenty of credible sources

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/17/oklaho...rried-5107328/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10110507.html

Nevertheless it doesn't seem to be true.

The is the Bill

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf...125%20ENGR.PDF

Pages 8-10 relate.

The Bills seems merely abolish marriages licences and on to this an anti-gay marriage provision has been added.
Everglow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not a direct ban on atheists getting married, so to say - but rather it's a ban on civil marriages. Atheists will have to marry in a religious cerimony if they want to get married.

This will probably just get struck down by a higher court like the Supreme Court in the near future. Anti-gay marriage provisions will too.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
It's not a direct ban on atheists getting married, so to say - but rather it's a ban on civil marriages. Atheists will have to marry in a religious cerimony if they want to get married.
If you read the Bill it does not contain a ban on civil marriages.
Everglow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
If you read the Bill it does not contain a ban on civil marriages.
'... marriages must be contracted by a formal ceremony performedor solemnized in the presence of at least two adult, competent persons as witnesses, by a judge or retired judge of any court in this state, or an ordained or authorized preacher or minister of the Gospel, priest or other ecclesiastical dignitary of any denomination who has been duly ordained or authorized by the church to which he or she belongs to preach the Gospel, or a rabbi and who is at least eighteen (18) years of age.'
I had to read this over several times but have now realised the wording is slightly ambiguous. What I think it is essentially saying is that marriages must be conducted in the presence of at least two, competent adults and must be performed by a judge/retired judge or an authorised preacher or minister of the Gospel etc. So Oklahoma is in fact making it very difficult for secular marriages to take place because the only alternative to a religious ceremony is one conducted by a judge or retired judge, and I doubt many of them take place.
User1824259
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Always, trying to implement unnecessary religious issues into laws.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I had to read this over several times but have now realised the wording is slightly ambiguous. What I think it is essentially saying is that marriages must be conducted in the presence of at least two, competent adults and must be performed by a judge/retired judge or an authorised preacher or minister of the Gospel etc. So Oklahoma is in fact making it very difficult for secular marriages to take place because the only alternative to a religious ceremony is one conducted by a judge or retired judge, and I doubt many of them take place.
I think that you have still misunderstood this provision.

At present civil marriages in Oklahoma are performed by judges or retired judges. Nothing is changing there, In addition common law marriages are recognised in Oklahoma where there is no celebrant and again that is preserved in the new legislation.

This legislation is doing away with marriage licenses, as a way of trying to stop gay marriage. Instead of the state issuing marriage licences to both straight and gay couples, each clergyman or judge decides whether gay marriage is lawful or not. I assume it is argued that there are no lawful common law gay marriages. It punishes a clergyman or judge who wrongfully performs a marriage and an official who wrongfully records a common law marriage.

The effect of the legislation is to place a very high burden on individuals. Clearly the idea or hope is that no or few people will be willing to perform gay marriages.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/sexuality/okmarriage.asp
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jakeel1)
I am still wondering why politics is based on the whims of idiots instead of sound social science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Social science is not scientific. There are ate only three sciences and they are physics, chemistry and Biology.The rest use the scientific method,but they aren't sciences.Homeopathy also uses the scientific method,but it isn't a science.
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because 'merica.

This will probably just get struck down by a higher court like the Supreme Court in the near future. Anti-gay marriage provisions will too.
Hopefully.
jakeel1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kadak)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Social science is not scientific. There are ate only three sciences and they are physics, chemistry and Biology.The rest use the scientific method,but they aren't sciences.Homeopathy also uses the scientific method,but it isn't a science.
Blah blah blah

Biology isn't a science either if you go with the only hard sciences are science nonsense. Society has causes, they can be investigated objectively, whether the conclusions are or not is irrelevant. I think its no coincidence that most scientists are also social democrats, it has something to do with looking at the evidence.
username1533709
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Blah blah blah

Biology isn't a science either if you go with the only hard sciences are science nonsense. Society has causes, they can be investigated objectively, whether the conclusions are or not is irrelevant. I think its no coincidence that most scientists are also social democrats, it has something to do with looking at the evidence.
Biology is a science,there is a reason biologists can win Nobel prizes but social scientists don't.
I doubt you met most of the world's scientists to make that generalisation.
username1533709
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Blah blah blah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course Biology is a science.You do have a brain and a heart right? Or is biology wrong on that? Social science theories may not be right,on the other hand.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Christianity. The religion of tolerance.

I'm gonna open my own humanist church, no religious people aloud :huff:
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
IF that's the case I can kind of sympathize with that. You shouldn't be able to force a church to say to practice anything you want imo. If you are that much of an atheist I would question why it is you want to get married in a church :dontknow:
there's too much love
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kadak)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think all mathematics is tautology?
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is unconstitutional surely? America has a godless constitution, passing this bill is a deviation of a legislatively secular state.
username1533709
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by there's too much love)
Do you think all mathematics is tautology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths is very accurate,but science uses empirical evidence while maths uses the proof.Maths isn't a science,but it is as Gauss said the "Queen of sciences".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.25%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (62)
41.06%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.23%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.65%

Watched Threads