The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

DON'T pick the Tannery!!

Ok, seeing as you guys are getting ur offers back I thought i'd let you in on my opinion on where not to stay... i.e the Tannery

Firstly it is one of the most £ accomodations at £3750 a year plus £200 for deposit... the internet is a total rip off £300!!!:eek: we were all very shocked!
Secondly its at the bottom of a hill! but its not that far to walk to uni like 20mins or so, so you can take that either way! But the area its in is Awful, just concrete crappy carpark next door which incidently there are loads of breakins and the police are always round!
There is one bus that goes like 5 times a day into town, so basically u need to have a stash of taxi money for at night
Ok i have to say the rooms are pretty nice and we do have a big kitchen area which is cool BUT its not as sociable as places such as Bod..
Oh yeah and half the tannery is leeds met too! not that im saying anything bad about them, it would just be nicer to know u are in real leeds halls.
umm oh yeah, if you live in the university owned accom then u get internet included free and TV free through ur pc!! which we dont because we are in a private halls... hence the reason we are ripped off at every stage because all they want is our money! grr

Oh and we are all pretty much leodis or devonshire rejects, in my opinion dont pick them because sooo many people do and soo many people get rejected into the non-university accomodation! which, well, just doesnt feel like your part of the uni as much! My advice would be pic somewhere like Bod as u are pretty much guaranteed to get in and its uni accom!
Leodis/Carr Mills/Bodington/Devonshire

Apply to any of those.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Carr Mills is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat xx
st marks doesn't have free tv or internet.

but we are getting knocked down next year apparently!
James Baillie is all good. Free internet. Nice location, and we've only been broken into once.
Reply 5
JBP all the way!
Reply 6
yeah james bailie is cool that's where im at. lol i didn't think the tannery was too bad i go there a lot since a lot of my mates are there - at least u got that shop downstairs haha it always comes in handy..
Devonshire is by far the best despite the stupid generalisation it's been given on being 'rah central.' If you want to avoid 'rahs,' I'd not bother coming to Leeds in general as they're pretty much everywhere. Who cares.
Anyway, yeah, in lieu of the price (go self-catered), free internet access all year, regular cheap social events/nights out and distance from uni it's definitely the place to be.
Most rooms are also a really good size.
I really think your over exaggurating there! The Tannery is really not that bad, u get what you pay for and we do get a good service...bob the maintence man is always around to fix stuff and its in a safe environment. yea its a bit scabby in its location eg the car park...but it wudnt be full of rubbish if students wernt so messy...and it gets cleaned loads! Kaz organises parties, quizes ect so theres generally always something to do. I've got friends that live at kirkstall brewery and they all wish they lived here, infact i've got a lot of friends here that love it too, so stop ya moaning and get on with it cuz its great!!!
Reply 9
Carr Mills is brilliant except for the dodgy areas nearby (but noone can get in anyway cos security is excellent).. we dont have a common room or anything but our kitchens are so big that doesnt actually matter!
We're having a brilliant time :smile: x
JBP is faaabulous! :biggrin:
Reply 11
ahhogarth1
JBP is faaabulous! :biggrin:

hey ho girlie! long time no see!!! Big Up the Mighty JBP!
Hmm The Tannery isn't *that* bad! Yeah they do totally drain us of money at every opportunity which is really bad and my shelf broke and they haven't fied it yet (fully expecting to go back and find it unfixed) everyone is really friendly and fun, it's a good distance from town if you don't mind walking that much (I mean it's 20 minutes from The Light, 15 if you hurry it up a bit) and as for Leeds Met students and stuff that's sort of a bonus because you can meet Leeds students EVERYWHERE else in the uni in socieities and stuff but knowing people from Leeds Met really expands your circle beyond just being LEEDS UNI. All the people in my flat are Leeds uni anyway, they tend to group us together xxx
Reply 13
Hey,
whats the deal with Carr Mills? it looks great on the uni's site, but their own site makes it look like its not just students living there? wouldn't really want to go somewhere theres normal people too!!

Latest