The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL GCSE MUSIC - 5th June 2015

Hi, everyone! How's it going? It just hit me how close the exam is...it's terrifying! So I made this thread and it can be used to ask questions, revision tips - anything really! I'll link the forums for the last two years - check them out, they are amazing! Especially the revision guide that was posted last year!
2013/2014: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2614680
2012/2013: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2268741

Scroll to see replies

bookmarking!
What did everyone get in their music mock?
I got B on the June 2014 paper with 4-5 hours revision, so I'm quite worried about this exam, especially with the high grade boundaries.
Original post by Jamesinatr
What did everyone get in their music mock?
I got B on the June 2014 paper with 4-5 hours revision, so I'm quite worried about this exam, especially with the high grade boundaries.

I got a D which was quite good because i did hardly any revision and i wasn't in a good place when i took the exam.
Reply 4
What were the official grade boundaries, raw mark wise? Thanks
I got an A overall in the mock but my paper was rubbish- I got full marks in performance so that brought everything up. Has anyone got any advice for how to revise for music because it just seems to be learning loads of facts but I'm not really sure how to do it?
I HATE Rag desh, I just can't get my head around all the different instruments and stuff...
How is everyone's composition going?
Original post by olaf-the-snowman
I got an A overall in the mock but my paper was rubbish- I got full marks in performance so that brought everything up. Has anyone got any advice for how to revise for music because it just seems to be learning loads of facts but I'm not really sure how to do it?
I HATE Rag desh, I just can't get my head around all the different instruments and stuff...
How is everyone's composition going?

Revising for the exam is quite hard. I've just done a mindmap for each setwork using the revision guide posted on last year's forum and now I think I'm going to do past papers - a few using my notes and then others in exam conditions.
Alternatively, you could do the usual revision cards, posters etc. if that works for you. Try techniques that work for you in other subjects as well (though you may need to do some tweaking because it's a listening exam). For example, I've learnt that for me, powerpoints really work. So, I found these powerpoints online and I'll probably go over them during half-term or I'll make my own (if I have time) - I usually print out a handout version and just make notes on it.Also, sticking things up in my room (revision notes) really helps me - for example posters and other stuff.

Have a look at tes.co.uk for resources - it has tons - that's where I found most of my revision material.

Ragdesh is pretty annoying but my most hated setwork HAS to be Mozart by far..

I've done both my compositions (I've hopefully got full marks or close) I've done my solo but still have to do my ensemble, which is straight after Easter.

Sorry for the long response but.. I hope I helped in some way :confused::smile:
Original post by 99-bdk23
What were the official grade boundaries, raw mark wise? Thanks

They should be on Edexcel's website - Usually they have the UMS and raw mark grade boundaries on there.
Does anyone have any predictions for the essay question?
hello all, my teacher has noted all of the previous essay questions asked since 2008, to see any patterns and predictions on what might be asked. I've forgotten exactly what he predicts, but i remember one of them that is likely to come up is All Blues. When I get back to school after the Easter holiday, I will make sure to find out what the predictions are :smile:
Original post by alldaydreaming
Does anyone have any predictions for the essay question?

Capercaillie and All Blues
Reply 11
Original post by alldaydreaming
They should be on Edexcel's website - Usually they have the UMS and raw mark grade boundaries on there.

I'll have a look - thanks
Predictions with reasoning:

2011: Chopin (AoS 1) and Buckley (AoS 3)
2012: Bernstein (AoS 2) and Yiri (AoS 4)
2013: Mozart (AoS 1) and Moby (AoS 3)
2014: Reich (AoS 2) and Rag Desh (AoS 4)

2015: I would assume from the pattern that it would be two set works from Areas of Study 1 and 3. Since there are three works in each AoS and we've already had two from each, I'd assume it would be Handel and All Blues.

That said, it would be handy to note that they have not tested: Handel, Schoenberg, All Blues or Capercaillie. Edexcel might realise they've given the game away - especially since this blatantly obvious pattern actually TELLS candidates exactly what questions they will get. Therefore, they might throw a curveball at you. So be prepared for all of those questions.

Anyway, does that sound vaguely logical?
(edited 8 years ago)
I hope that it's Handel and All Blues, Handel is one of my best set works :smile: We did the 2011 and 2014 papers as mocks. Got an A* on the 2011 but the 2014 one was a lot harder, so if I get lower I won't be surprised. I hate Rag Desh too, seems like very few people like it- or like writing a section B on it! Edexcel are changing all the set works in 2016 anyway, so this year and next year will be the last exams with these set works. Here's to hoping they use the ones that they haven't yet in the section B :smile:
How's it going guys?
Have you suffered from revision sickness yet?
The exam is pretty close! Just over a week away.
I found this YouTube channel which does really great videos on the setworks - at the moment they've only got videos for the first 5 setworks, but I'm hoping they'll all be uploaded before next Friday. If you want to check them out, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQafZfqfp4LtnG4mGy60J4g - it's Musicexamsolutions on YouTube.
One question for everyone to answer:
If you had the exam tomorrow, what grade do you think you'd get?
Good luck with revision guys!
Hallelujah for Half-term! :u:
Original post by danconway
Capercaillie and All Blues

They are going to be two of Capercailllie, All Blues, And the Glory of the Lord and Peripetie
Hi everyone! I'm pretty scared about this music exam as I want to well in it... anyone got any predictions about the essay question?

Do you think peripertie will come up as my teacher said it is pretty to difficult to write about in an essay question.....

Thank you!
Guys! Basically, I was working this morning to try and figure out what is likely to come up, using this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/t4yJUmptMevqxhLna4p9f-A/htmlview#
and I discovered that each song is used in two exams and then has a rest, so
Handel- years 11, (break), 13, 14, (break for 15)
Mozart- years 11, 12, (break), 14, (15!!)
Chopin- years (break), 12, 13, (break), (15!!)
Schoenberg- years 11, 12, (break), 14, (15!!)
Bernstein- 11, (break), 13, 14, (break for 15)
Reich- (break), 12, 13, (break), (15!!)
Davis- 11, (break), 13, 14, (break for 15)
Moby- 11, 12, (break), 14, (15!!)
Buckley- (break), 12, 13, (break), (15!!)
Capercaillie- 11, 12, (break), 14, (15!!)
Koko- 11, (break), 13, 14, (break for 15)
Rag Desh- 12, 13, (break), (15!!)

IF that makes sense, my idea means that Handel, Bernstein, Davis and Koko are unlikely to crop up. I might be wrong!
Reply 18
wow so many different ways of predicting giving totally differrent results lol
Original post by nikkipatelxx
Hi everyone! I'm pretty scared about this music exam as I want to well in it... anyone got any predictions about the essay question?

Do you think peripertie will come up as my teacher said it is pretty to difficult to write about in an essay question.....

Thank you!

From everyone's predictions, there's a possibility that it'll come up as the essay question because it hasn't come up before but I agree with most people that the most likely ones are Handel and All Blues.

As OneBananaQueen was saying earlier - next year is the last year of the current spec - they'll be changing the setworks so it's highly likely that they will want to test us on the last 4 setworks that haven't been an essay question, these are:
Handel, All Blues, Schoenberg and Capercaillie. (as stated by DANCONWAY).

Just try and prepare for anything and everything you can because this year just like any year, they can do what they want - they don't put anything about a pattern anywhere in the spec, all these predictions come from pretty good educated guesses.

Just stick at it, I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply