The Student Room Group

Atheist/Religious Relationships

I'm a strong atheist, and I'm one who respects all religions, not judging anyone I meet by their religious background. I would be just as happy dating a heavily religious girl as I would an atheist, as I wouldn't judge her on her beliefs, only her personality. If she respected other beliefs as much as her own, that would be all that would matter.
Whether you are on my side or the religious side of this debate, would you do the same?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think so, being strongly atheist I don't think my personality would match with someone who was strongly religious. Even though I respect theists, I do not respect religion itself. There would be too many hurdles too, such as her family wouldn't like me (I assume, seeing as strongly religious people generally have strict religious parents) and I wouldn't want to be married in a religious ceremony.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't believe in dating or relationships, no girl is worth the time or effort. But I'd have sex with any attractive woman regardless of anything, as long as the sex is good and her body is sexy, then I'm good to go. Pussy is pussy at the end of the day. Don't really care about anything else, I don't need anything from a woman apart from sex. She can believe in what she wants :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm an atheist and it would depend on how religious they were. I don't have an issue with religious people in principle, but I would have an issue if they were strongly religious to the point of it basically running their life.

Especially if it led to them being homophobic or maybe anti-science on some issues, but that is unlikely to be the case here in the UK as those are more American problems.
I don't think it would be a massive problem as long as they were tolerant of my atheism (and I would likewise be tolerant of their religion). If it ever got to the point of marriage etc. then it could be problematic as I don't overly care to make vows in front of god and so on.
Reply 5
I don't think I could date an atheist. As I've got older my views on matters of faith and spirituality have become more important so I couldn't do it now.
Reply 6
As a Christian, no. Not because of judging an Athiest by his beliefs or saying he is any "less" ( making that clear as some people seem to get that idea of us Christians) but more that I wouldn't want to get myself so emotionally attatched to someone who wouldn't be going to heaven (if my beliefs about Heaven is true). It would be too painful to imagine, especially if we were to one day get married.
If stephen hawking can get married to a christian I think you'll cope :rolleyes:
Original post by Gott
Darwin's wife was a Christian

And so was Darwin
As long as they're not a holy joe.
Original post by Gott
Darwin's wife was a Christian

Heck, Darwin was a Christian.
I don't think I could ever be with an atheist tbh. It would be very difficult to be with someone who didn't share similar beliefs. Much easier to just date fellow Catholics :jebus:
Original post by Gott
Originally but he became atheist

Well he went as far as to say agnostic but not strictly atheist. And even so it was after lots of discussion with his wife about religion and morality
Original post by Gott
Originally but he became atheist

He actually didn't.
Original post by Gott
meh

Spoiler

He never committed himself to Athiesm although he did move away from Religion his beliefs are more aptly described as agnostic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gott
He would have meant in the same sense as Dawkin's in agnostic

What sense is this?
His letters towards the end of his life suggests he was agnostic it would be wrong to call him an Atheist based on the definition.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think I could date someone that didn't hold the same views as me on religion. I respect people who are religious but I disagree with their views so I think it would just cause conflict and wouldn't work tbh.
It just leada to unnecessary complications, especially for the kids a few years down the mine...
I don't know; I'm weirdly idealistic. Within reason, I'll pretty much believe anything COULD exist like right down to fairies and crap. I don't know if a particularly religious person would like that because just bringing that up in regards to beliefs could sound like I'm taking the piss. And on the other hand, I get the feeling an atheist would try and get me sent to an insane asylum. Actually, scratch that, I fear many people would try to do that regardless of religion. Why do you think this **** is anon? I guess I just need to seek out another weirdo.
I'm a strong atheist too, and my fiancee is a devout Catholic. He respects my beliefs (or, lack of them) and I respect his.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending