The Student Room Group

ASMR Community - Do you experience tingles (braingasm)?

Hi :redface: Just wondering if anybody out there experiences ASMR? I didn't realise that only some people have the wonderful capability to experience this relaxing sensation. I always just thought it was normal.

For those of you who don't know what ASMR is, itis a fairly unexplainable experience of having relaxing shivery tingles in the scalp, which can run down the shoulders, spine and even through the whole body. It is kind of like the relaxing sensation of having a massage but way more intense and can be triggered by obvious but even fairly weird scenarios. ASMR triggers can be visual, binaural or anything really; it varies depending upon the person. Although it is not related to anything sexual whatsoever, some people have compared the experience to an orgasm since it is so unique and requires being almost 'turned on' in terms of relaxation, having a calm atmosphere, role-play (it's not what you think!), etc. Plus that is one way to describe it to people who don't experience it themselves.

Some common ASMR triggers include:

Feeling a head massage.
Seeing hand gestures.
Having personal attention.
The sound of softly spoken voices.
The sound of crinkly noises, e.g. packets being gently handled.
The sound of inaudible whispering (ear-to-ear).

I remember years ago when I used to watch 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' on video, I would rewind the divination scene because I found the low and ominous voice of Sibyl Trelawney and her hand gestures to be really relaxing. I didn't understand that it was weird because I assumed that everyone else would feel the same way. Anyway, about two years ago I finally researched what those pleasant 'tingles' in my head were and found out about the ASMR community! Now I watch videos on Youtube in order to help me sleep.
Yes, although the intensity of the sensation has decreased in recent years. I remember at primary school consistently falling asleep on the desk in a class taught by a woman with an unreasonably soothing Canadian accent.
Reply 2
Likewise! In high school I had two different teachers who made me feel so sleepy when they were talking and not because it was boring but their accents were so ASMR-y. Yes, I too have found that some triggers don't work as well any more...

Quick Reply

Latest