The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Best Accommodation for Strand

I'm an exchange student going to KCL next year - recently firmed my offer (unconditional) and I can't wait to meet fellow students.

I'm going to be at Strand, as I'm studying International Relations. I really liked Stamford Street Apartments and some of the intercollegiate halls, and was wondering what other strand students were thinking of applying to? (some of the residences are prohibitively expensive...)

also does anyone know how random the allocation process is?
I was at Great Dover St last year and it was honestly the best choice for Strand campus. It was close enough to Central that you don't have to trek across London but also not too close. I have friends that lived at Stamford St last year and although it it just over the bridge from Somerset house they didn't get to know as many sides to London as I did. Because they lived so close it made them quite lazy about their surroundings. GDS is the same layout and furnishings as Stamford St but it's double the size and I found I lived with more science and med students which is actually more fun than just living with arts students if you are one. Personal choice I guess but living in Borough was lovely, especially as you are literally a short walk from London Bridge, Borough Market (food is out of this world!), historic southwark, Tate modern, millennium bridge and the globe theatre. There's nothing like strolling up South Bank on your way to uni :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by ribosome3
I was at Great Dover St last year and it was honestly the best choice for Strand campus. It was close enough to Central that you don't have to trek across London but also not too close. I have friends that lived at Stamford St last year and although it it just over the bridge from Somerset house they didn't get to know as many sides to London as I did. Because they lived so close it made them quite lazy about their surroundings. GDS is the same layout and furnishings as Stamford St but it's double the size and I found I lived with more science and med students which is actually more fun than just living with arts students if you are one. Personal choice I guess but living in Borough was lovely, especially as you are literally a short walk from London Bridge, Borough Market (food is out of this world!), historic southwark, Tate modern, millennium bridge and the globe theatre. There's nothing like strolling up South Bank on your way to uni :smile:

how did you find the social life at gds? since im living away from home for the first time, i really want to be able to meet a lot of new people and everyone says halls are the way to go. so a little conflicted
Original post by blytheyohannes
how did you find the social life at gds? since im living away from home for the first time, i really want to be able to meet a lot of new people and everyone says halls are the way to go. so a little conflicted

They are all dependent on your corridor, no one can say since it depends on the people going there, which we can't predict, and some are really quite some are really loud.

Original post by ribosome3

GDS has bigger kitchen and more space so it's good, but lets be honest GDS and JM are in quite doggy areas. And stamford street although tiny is the best for strand as the walk is so short.
Original post by Guren
They are all dependent on your corridor, no one can say since it depends on the people going there, which we can't predict, and some are really quite some are really loud.

GDS has bigger kitchen and more space so it's good, but lets be honest GDS and JM are in quite doggy areas. And stamford street although tiny is the best for strand as the walk is so short.

GDS is not in a dodgy area, I've lived here for two years and have had zero problems. Stamford Street is a much more dodgy area, just because of the sheer volume of people that go through Waterloo.

It really makes very little difference whether you are in GDS or SSA, the walk from GDS is a little longer but I make it in about 20 minutes.
Original post by Copperknickers
GDS is not in a dodgy area, I've lived here for two years and have had zero problems. Stamford Street is a much more dodgy area, just because of the sheer volume of people that go through Waterloo.

It really makes very little difference whether you are in GDS or SSA, the walk from GDS is a little longer but I make it in about 20 minutes.

Except you see undercover cops there all the time. FYI I didn't say the accommodation was bad, it is great, much bigger kitchen and it has lovely people in my experience as well.
You walk fast.
Original post by Guren
Except you see undercover cops there all the time.

What? How do you know they're undercover cops if they're undercover? And where?

You walk fast.

Heh, you caught me out. I don't walk I have a mico scooter.
Original post by Copperknickers
What? How do you know they're undercover cops if they're undercover? And where?

Heh, you caught me out. I don't walk I have a mico scooter.

Dude you've obviously grown up in nice ends, not to discover when something looks out of place :lol: see the cars and camera men inside them.
I saw a guy with a scooter slung over his shoulder last week in the Strand, was that you?! loool :biggrin:
Original post by Guren
Dude you've obviously grown up in nice ends, not to discover when something looks out of place :lol: see the cars and camera men inside them.

Never seen those in my life, what are they looking for? Drug dealers? Doesn't need to be a particularly dodgy area to have drug dealers. And there weren't really any police where I grew up, there wasn't even a police station in my town.

I saw a guy with a scooter slung over his shoulder last week in the Strand, was that you?! loool :biggrin:

Probably was haha.
Original post by Guren

GDS is NOT in a dodgy area! Try Ewan Henderson in New Cross for dodgy! My friend who lived there last year said there was stabbings, shootings and lots of muggings. London Bridge/Borough is just as safe as anywhere else in Central London. & I'm a 5ft country bumpkin who was petrified to go to london and had no experience with a big city at all

Quick Reply

Latest