The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Student loan ??

Hey all,

Im currently registered to do the BEng degree in September but I'm thinking about changing to the MEng degree, the only thing that's confusing me at the moment is the student loan part. I've never took one out before so I'm not sure how it works for the 8 year, £21000 MEng course. I know with the OU you pay for the modules each year for the ones your doing but I was under the impression that the student loans only got to around £9000, how do you get a student loan to cover the degree?

Or is it a case of getting a loan for the first year for £2600ish to pay for that years fees, then getting another loan or an extension for the same amount at the start of year 2, etc, etc until you've done year 8?

Or would I get a loan for part of the degree then have to pay the rest myself?

I know its probably straight forward but right now its doing my head in, any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Steve :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know about for the masters, but I was told yesterday you can get up to £6750 per academic year for 'part time' study, which is what the OU is classified as, by SFE.

I know funding for post grad is different, so you might have to talk to SFE and/or the OU.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I can't comment on this course or your student loan provider in particular, but as far as I know part the appeal of integrated masters (i.e. your MEng) is that since the Masters year(s) of the degree count as part of your undergraduate, it can be funded in the same way the rest of your undergrad is (e.g. SaaS in Scotland) If you look up "integrated masters funding" or "integrated masters student loans" there are a few articles on the subject and you could probably find out something more specific to you.

As a general rule if you can get an integrated masters it's far easier to fund than a separate one, and more appealing to employers than a Bsc. I'd recommend it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending