The Student Room Group

I was given a single dose treatment for Chlamydia, when will it kick in?

On Monday late afternoon (it's now Wednesday morning) I went to the sexual health clinic for a chlamydia test as my most recent partner tested positive. I am still waiting for the text/call that says whether I tested negative or positive, but they still gave me treatment on the spot in the clinic as I had some symptoms. I just wondered how long the single dose Azithromycin (4 tablets taken in front of the nurses on Monday) will take to kick in/recover? Also how long might I be waiting for the text/call? I assume as well that if I do test positive I have already received the treatment and have to take it no further?

If anyones had any experience that they can give me advice from that would be great!

Original post by Anonymous
On Monday late afternoon (it's now Wednesday morning) I went to the sexual health clinic for a chlamydia test as my most recent partner tested positive. I am still waiting for the text/call that says whether I tested negative or positive, but they still gave me treatment on the spot in the clinic as I had some symptoms. I just wondered how long the single dose Azithromycin (4 tablets taken in front of the nurses on Monday) will take to kick in/recover? Also how long might I be waiting for the text/call? I assume as well that if I do test positive I have already received the treatment and have to take it no further?

If anyones had any experience that they can give me advice from that would be great!

You're generally advised to steer clear of sex for a week after treatment, to ensure you don't pass anything on/chance reinfection if that's any help.

The time it takes to receive your results will depend on the clinic, some will have then back with you on the day but others can take a week or so.

If you do test positive for chlamydia you will have already received treatment, but the health advisors at the clinic may contact you to discuss whether or not you need to let any other former or current partners know about the infection. Additionally some clinics might like you to have another test in a few weeks to ensure you have been properly treated, but this certainly.isnt the case everywhere and probably isn't all that necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fleur_de_haine
You're generally advised to steer clear of sex for a week after treatment, to ensure you don't pass anything on/chance reinfection if that's any help.

The time it takes to receive your results will depend on the clinic, some will have then back with you on the day but others can take a week or so.

If you do test positive for chlamydia you will have already received treatment, but the health advisors at the clinic may contact you to discuss whether or not you need to let any other former or current partners know about the infection. Additionally some clinics might like you to have another test in a few weeks to ensure you have been properly treated, but this certainly.isnt the case everywhere and probably isn't all that necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This
Also if you have tested positive, there's always the chance you might have contracted something else, so they'll probably want to give you a full test for everything, just in case

Quick Reply

Latest