is it possible to reject your firm offer for your insurance on results day? Watch

jumpercaleb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know it was probably stupid to firm an offer that I wasn't completely sold on (SOAS), but it had a higher grade requirement than my insurance (Sheffield).
On results day, if I were to get the grades to meet both my firm and insurance offers, is it possible to decline this and go with my insurance offer? I know it's inconvenient but is it possible?
If so, how would I go about this?
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jumpercaleb)
I know it was probably stupid to firm an offer that I wasn't completely sold on (SOAS), but it had a higher grade requirement than my insurance (Sheffield).
On results day, if I were to get the grades to meet both my firm and insurance offers, is it possible to decline this and go with my insurance offer? I know it's inconvenient but is it possible?
No, it isn't. Universities get your results the weekend before you do and if you have met your firm's requirements then your insurance place disappears immediately, so there isn't a place for you to accept. If you want to switch them round, the thing to do is to contact them now and explain this to them. If they agree, then Ucas will amend this.
Dilzo999
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Intentionally get lower grades?
Audiology-Med
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Contact your firm offer and ask them if they can release your from your offer and then contact UCAS to tell them about the changes, this would allow you to put sheffield as your firm choice
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whatever course you're doing at SOAS, it is bound to be better at SOAS than Sheffield. SOAS is a very good university and it is part of the University of London. I would be satisfied going SOAS.
Rvd1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its not exactly possible to reject your firm for you insurance because what happens is ur insurance gets auto rejected if u meet your firm,

BUT

what you could do is call up your insurance and tell them you'd rather go to that uni but its your insurance etc and see if they have any places left over once results come out (as people may not make grades for the course etc ultimately making room which people who have to go through clearing for apply to) if they have it you can then reject your firm and go there
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Audiology-Med)
Contact your firm offer and ask them if they can release your from your offer and then contact UCAS to tell them about the changes, this would allow you to put sheffield as your firm choice
A release is only possible once an offer has been made unconditional and would place the OP into clearing.

It isn't possible to change your insurance to your firm without agreement from BOTH universities.

(Original post by Rvd1)
Its not exactly possible to reject your firm for you insurance because what happens is ur insurance gets auto rejected if u meet your firm,

BUT

what you could do is call up your insurance and tell them you'd rather go to that uni but its your insurance etc and see if they have any places left over once results come out (as people may not make grades for the course etc ultimately making room which people who have to go through clearing for apply to) if they have it you can then reject your firm and go there
Waiting to results day to sort this out is silly. It's much better to contact both F and I unis NOW and ask them to switch places.

Especially given that you CANNOT reject your firm on results day. You can only ASK to be placed in clearing and in many cases that can take days or longer to arrange.
--------

OP as CLR says -call both unis up now and ask if they will agree to let you switch them over.

This is very common and the sooner you get in touch the more helpful they're likely to be
Rvd1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
A release is only possible once an offer has been made unconditional and would place the OP into clearing.

It isn't possible to change your insurance to your firm without agreement from BOTH universities.

Waiting to results day to sort this out is silly. It's much better to contact both F and I unis NOW and ask them to switch places.

Especially given that you CANNOT reject your firm on results day. You can only ASK to be placed in clearing and in many cases that can take days or longer to arrange.
--------

OP as CLR says -call both unis up now and ask if they will agree to let you switch them over.

This is very common and the sooner you get in touch the more helpful they're likely to be

I thought it stated on ucas you cant switch the place of your two? surely contacting the uni would have no effect as its ucas you applied through
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rvd1)
I thought it stated on ucas you cant switch the place of your two? surely contacting the uni would have no effect as its ucas you applied through
You can't - the universities can, though. Ucas is only the administrative arm of the universities. It only does what they tell it to do. Trust PQ. She works in admissions.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rvd1)
Ucas are just the middle men.

You can make changes but as you've entered into an agreement with your F/I unis you can only make changes (except for walking away completely) with the agreement of all parties.
Audiology-Med
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)

--------

Actually you can be released from your conditional offer as I got my self released like a 1 or 2 weeks ago. I told my firm choice I wanted to be released so i can go into ucas extra to change course at a different university and they where fine with it.

That caused my insurance choice to automatically change to my firm choice.

When my Insurance choice released me from my offer, UCAS track actually gave me another chance to choose my offers again from the ones I just got released from and the ones I declined but not the ones I withdrew from.

I obviously declined all of them again so I could go through UCAS Extra. Well thats my recent experience with UCAS hope that helped
Rvd1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
You can't - the universities can, though. Ucas is only the administrative arm of the universities. It only does what they tell it to do. Trust PQ. She works in admissions.
ahh fair enough ^^
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Audiology-Med)
Actually you can be released from your conditional offer as I got my self released like a 1 or 2 weeks ago. I told my firm choice I wanted to be released so i can go into ucas extra to change course at a different university and they where fine with it.

That caused my insurance choice to automatically change to my firm choice.

When my Insurance choice released me from my offer, UCAS track actually gave me another chance to choose my offers again from the ones I just got released from and the ones I declined but not the ones I withdrew from.

I obviously declined all of them again so I could go through UCAS Extra. Well thats my recent experience with UCAS hope that helped
If your insurance changed to firm then your firm processed a rejection.

It sounds like your insurance sent through a withdrawal transaction.

A release is a specific ucas transaction that sends an applicant from UF to clearing.

All these transactions have specific ucas terms and asking for one when you want another risks getting the wrong result.

With anything like this applicants are best to just explain what they want to happen (I want to be in extra/I want to swap my firm and insurance/I don't want an insurance choice anymore etc) and AVOID using the terms reject/release/withdraw to avoid the risk of getting the wrong thing because you asked for the wrong thing.
Audiology-Med
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
If your insurance changed to firm then your firm processed a rejection.

It sounds like your insurance sent through a withdrawal transaction.

A release is a specific ucas transaction that sends an applicant from UF to clearing.

All these transactions have specific ucas terms and asking for one when you want another risks getting the wrong result.

With anything like this applicants are best to just explain what they want to happen (I want to be in extra/I want to swap my firm and insurance/I don't want an insurance choice anymore etc) and AVOID using the terms reject/release/withdraw to avoid the risk of getting the wrong thing because you asked for the wrong thing.
My insurance 'rejected' me after I told them to as I wanted to go into ucas extra. The terminology used in this case didn't affect anything when I explained to UCAS and both my firm and insurance choices, as they pretty much understood what I wanted.

But anyway the OP needs to contact both his firm and insurance choices to discuss what he wants.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%