The Student Room Group

BSc Computing - University of Liverpool vs Bournemouth University?

Hi there,

I've received my 5 offers and after going to applicant days, these were the Universities that I could see myself studying at. I'm stuck for choice as I don't know which one is better..

Course statistics are better in Bournemouth compared to Liverpool.

Accommodation is on par with each other.

Night life, I've heard Bournemouth is fantastic but don't know about Liverpool.

Both have good facilities and quite modern.

What I like about Liverpool is the small department and number of students accepted onto each course. Bournemouth just had a nice atmosphere and I really enjoyed the day.

Which course is better? In terms of modules chosen.

Overall, which University would you recommend for this particular course? Regardless of reputation etc..
Reply 1
Hi there,

As a student from the university of Liverpool, I can definitely recommend it. Firstly, however, I will answer your questions:

1. Course statistics are better in Bournemouth compared to Liverpool.
I am not too sure about that. Most university league tables have listed Liverpool much higher compared to Bournemouth, as demonstrated here: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Computer+Science - which list Liverpool in 20th, and Bournemouth in 52.

2. Accommodation is on par with each other.
I cannot comment on this since I do not live in student accommodation at Liverpool university.

3. Night life, I've heard Bournemouth is fantastic but don't know about Liverpool.
Again, it is best you ask someone who lives in student accommodation.

Now for my opinion:

Computer Science at Liverpool is a great theoretical course ranging from algorithms, data computation and language, discrete mathematics, artificial intelligence, logic, and many other modules in addition to software engineering, programming and operating systems and computer systems.

The experience thus far has been memorable. As a student still in my first year, the people are welcoming, friendly and approachable. I have been to three other universities during open days, and none has compared to Liverpool's excellent attitude I have witnessed.

The work load is difficult ranging from 9 modules in the first and second year. You are given an intense amount of assignments and exams - 7 exams in your first year (2 first semester, 5 second semester) and a lot of assignments - I mean a lot.

So, if you were to give a university a chance, I would say Liverpool - which has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience. My argument is biased since I reside from that university, however, I hope I have given you insight into Liverpool.

I cannot comment on Bournemouth however, since I have little knowledge regarding it.

If you have any questions/concerns regarding Liverpool university, then feel free to ask. :wink:
Reply 2
I've heard really good things about Bournemouth. I'd recommend Bournemouth :smile:.
Reply 3
Hi annoy123,

Whilst I can't comment much on the course you're asking about, I hope I might be of use telling you about Bournemouth University in general, the town, the accommodation, buses and nightlife.
I'm currently doing my MA at Bournemouth university, and I did my BA there from 2007-2010 too. It's a really lovely place to study and to live, as the campus is constantly being updated (a new swanky student centre literally just opened today!), and if you live in halls then you will be a 5 minute walk from the beach, town centre and clubs.
The buses run regularly between the uni campus and the halls (about a 10 minute bus ride on the uni bus, which is super cheap) and the yellow buses run between uni and the town centre, plus lots of other areas.

The halls are mainly clustered together in Bournemouth town, and have all recently either been updated or built. There are also some other halls of residence in Poole (which is beautiful, but about 30 minute bus ride away), and there is the student village which is on the main university campus, and is basically an entire housing estate made just for students!

If there is anything else you'd like to know then I'd be happy to answer your questions :smile:

Alice
Reply 4
Liverpool over Bournemouth anyday for me. The league table ranking is significant (it's also Russel group) and Liverpool is a beautiful city with lots to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending