The Student Room Group

Higher Philosophy

Just wondering, for anyone that has taken/is taking higher philosophy -would you say it's too difficult or worthwhile? Also wondering how interesting it is..
I'm doing higher philosophy now - exam is in about six weeks! I don't really find it that difficult - the hardest part is the Descartes stuff in epistemology (or your school could pick to do Hume, which I haven't studied). I'm doing Critical Thinking (about arguments and how to structure an argument), epistemology (what is knowledge?), metaphysics (arguments for the existence of God) and moral philosophy (utilitarianism and Kantian ethics). But I believe it's up to the school whether you do metaphysics, moral philosophy, free will and determinism, Hume's empiricism or Descartes' rationalism. I really like philosophy - usually I leave the class with a sore head but I really believe it can broaden your horizons. I'd definitely say if you done philosophy, you would have to be prepared for the massive essay demands. (In the exam we have to write 3 essays and answer questions in two hours & twenty minutes!) If you're prepared to put the work in, you'll do brilliant! I'm actually planning on studying philosophy in university.
Ah that's interesting, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending