dongoffe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello Student Roomers!

I'm trying to develop a career in Accounting after several years of running my own business and I need some advise on how to get started.

Here's my background:

GCSES with good grades in Accounting, Business Studies, Economics, Math, and other no so relevant subjects.

A-Levels with good grades in Accounting, Economics, Mathematics.

Did the above two from an International British School; it was part of the Cambridge International Examinations certifications.

Bachelors in Business Administration with a Major in Finance with a solid GPA (Did this from the U.S.A from a decent Uni).

Decided to go into entrepreneurship and business ownership and started a business in small scale real estate development, which after a couple of years turned into a small scale hotel and asset management company.

Now, I'd like to wind up the business because of the lack of growth opportunities and difficult competitive environment and take advantage of my education qualifications in Accounting and Finance.

So I need some advise on what's the wisest course of action to take towards building a career and seeking gainful employment in Accounting.

My thoughts were to try to brush my Accounting by pursuing a Masters Program in Accounting, work part time simultaneously, then get a full time job upon graduation, and work towards the Chartered Accountancy qualification or some other industry standard.

Can anyone shed light on the industry scenario at the moment.

Thanks.
Pipsico
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't do a masters in Accounting - you'll be wasting time and money.

You're best off applying to grad schemes - there's big 4, and many more.

If that fails, you could start self-learning the ACCA and find an employer who will sponsor you the rest of the way - but there are also finance schemes in industry that do that, so make sure you look for those first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ditto on masters in Accounting being a complete waste of time. Go for a grad scheme where you'll get an accountancy qualification.
dongoffe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks, I'd hate doing something as big as this and regretting it later on.

Are there any Masters programs that would actually add value and are relevant to Finance and Accounting?
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dongoffe)
Thanks, I'd hate doing something as big as this and regretting it later on.

Are there any Masters programs that would actually add value and are relevant to Finance and Accounting?
I don't think so. A masters within finance/accountancy is pretty useless. Nobody lists it as being an advantage/plus on a job ad. Professional qualifications on the other hand such as ACA/ACCA/CFA are highly valued.
username1204872
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pipsico)
Don't do a masters in Accounting - you'll be wasting time and money.

You're best off applying to grad schemes - there's big 4, and many more.

If that fails, you could start self-learning the ACCA and find an employer who will sponsor you the rest of the way - but there are also finance schemes in industry that do that, so make sure you look for those first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads