Should contraceptives be free?

Watch
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Now, I know I'm going to get hate for this but why should the taxpayer pay for you to have the kinds of sex where someone can get pregnant but not for me to take the meds that make my life livable? I mean, the former is a choice whilst the latter is a necessity. All the people who genuinely can't afford prescriptions should (I know some people fall through the net) be getting whatever they're prescribed for free so it's not like these people wouldn't be able to afford contraceptives. I would say the morning after pill should be free because no-one should have to go through an abortion because they can't afford emergency contraception but with the stipulation that if you use it something like three times within a year's period you have to see a sexual health professional to talk about contraceptive options and STIs.
unprinted
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say this is chat or debate, but..

.. of course they should be free. The more barriers you put in front of people accessing contraception, the fewer people will use it.

After the event - i.e. 'emergency' - contraception is not as reliable as before / during contraception either.

Having said all that, I think all prescriptions should be free. As with income tax, charges were introduced as a 'temporary' measure.
username457532
Rep:
?
(Original post by unprinted)
I'd say this is chat or debate, but..

.. of course they should be free. The more barriers you put in front of people accessing contraception, the fewer people will use it.

After the event - i.e. 'emergency' - contraception is not as reliable as before / during contraception either.

Having said all that, I think all prescriptions should be free. As with income tax, charges were introduced as a 'temporary' measure.
I do believe that all prescriptions should be free. But they aren't so why should I pay for something I need but something that isn't a necessity is free?

And I didn't think about putting this in debate...
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For people who do qualify for various benefits, or are u18, or pregnant, or... prescriptions are free.

For people with a lot of prescriptions, an 'all you can take' fee is available.

It's those of us who only have a few who go 'ouch' each time. But even then having a flat fee can save an enormous amount of money. See what Americans pay...
username457532
Rep:
?
(Original post by unprinted)
For people who do qualify for various benefits, or are u18, or pregnant, or... prescriptions are free.

For people with a lot of prescriptions, an 'all you can take' fee is available.

It's those of us who only have a few who go 'ouch' each time. But even then having a flat fee can save an enormous amount of money. See what Americans pay...
I'm sure I read somewhere that most people get the pill in three month prescriptions, working out at about £2.68 a month. Those on certain benefits get free prescriptions and people on low incomes can get money off if they fill in a form. So (in theory) no-one is being priced out of something that is basically a recreational activity. Whereas last year I had to pay over £100 just to cope with my daily life.
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In the UK, the pill for contraception is free for everyone.

If you get prescribed it for acne for example, you're supposed to pay.
Jackieox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because the UK is overpopulated as it is...the Government are trying to prevent it happening even more. So yes, it should be free.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1) it cheaper to give it free than to pay child benefit 2) it's cheaper to give it free than to set up a deprtment of bureaucrats to means test it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads