The Student Room Group

bath or nottingham?

i like both bath and nottingham and they are the same grade requirements but i cant really decide between the two. Do either one of them look better on a C.V. /have a better reputation etc.

Thanks for your help!
For economics definitely Nottingham
Reply 2
why do you say that because isnt bath better overall? and will employers actually know nottingham is better in ecnonomics as overall it isnt?
Original post by James1389
why do you say that because isnt bath better overall? and will employers actually know nottingham is better in ecnonomics as overall it isnt?

Why do you think Bath is better overall?

In terms of prestige and employment Nottingham is better, especially for a course like economics where if you go into finance they only care about the university prestige and not about the course
i like both bath and nottingham and they are the same grade requirements but i cant really decide between the two. Do either one of them look better on a C.V. /have a better reputation etc.

Thanks for your help!

Nottingham economics is the best economics school outside the 'big 5'; you'd be a moron to choose Bath over it
Reply 5
oh thank you very much! i dont know why i thought that aha just always believed it.
Reply 6
Sorry to be a pain, but I've just looked on both the guardian and the complete university guide and they rank bath at least 10 places higher on econ and overall? Do these tables mean much?
Sorry to be a pain, but I've just looked on both the guardian and the complete university guide and they rank bath at least 10 places higher on econ and overall? Do these tables mean much?

Bath higher overall, not for econ.
Both excellent choices. bath do a good year in industry
Reply 9
Thanks so would employers know that Nottingham is better for econ? Also the guardian ranking for econ puts Surrey at 6th above LSE is that actually right? Because I have an offer from Surrey as well.
I think Bath is generally ranked slightly higher; Bath is a top 10 uni, Nottingham is probably just outside that.

TBH I think you should consider which course content interests you the most and not really worry so much about stuff like "reputation" that doesn't really matter in the long run.
Thanks so would employers know that Nottingham is better for econ? Also the guardian ranking for econ puts Surrey at 6th above LSE is that actually right? Because I have an offer from Surrey as well.

rankings are largely *******s.

They all look at different stuff, mostly completely irrelevant nonsense, and they fluctuate hugely from year to year. Do you really think university quality fluctuates hugely from year to year?
Reply 12
Hmmm I'm so indecisive I really should do some more research, thank you for your time!
Hmmm I'm so indecisive I really should do some more research, thank you for your time!

Look at the syllabus for each. If you want advice, I will happily advise.

With economics, there can be a fair bit of variation in the syllabus of the departments currently. You want a fair amount of applied economics and heterodox/post-crash economics nowadays to get the full picture.
Reply 14
Yeah will do thanks, i have applied for a year in industry for bath and still like the sound of the course there but if Nottingham is better Id rather go there ahaha
Reply 15
Don't choose where you're spending three years of your life purely based on employment reputation. Check out the course content, go to each university and decide where you'd be happiest. Both universities are highly respectable and there's not much difference between them so it would be foolish to make a decision based around reputation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending