Would a team of legendary players, now in their 40s, be able to stay up in the PL?

Watch
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For instance:

Kahn
Neville Cannavaro Thuram Carlos
Ballack Keane
Zidane
Giggs Bergkamp Figo

Obvious issue is lack of pace but the would their sheer ability get them to 40 points? Thinking of a Rocky 6 style situation here

I think they'd have a chance

Kenan and Kel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Doubt it. They'll be pretty easy to play against if the opposing manager knows what he's doing. A football pitch is just too big for sheer ability to get forty points over the season.
The Shed End
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thuram?!? Where's Maldini bro?
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Shed End)
Thuram?!? Where's Maldini bro?
Move Thuram to right back instead of Neville, get Maldini in. Sorted. Oh, change Cannavaro for Nesta too.
The Shed End
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nesta's 39 bro
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely not imo.

Pace is such a big thing in the PL. And, if you aren't going to play with pace, you've got to be direct and strong. They wouldn't have enough to survive.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No way
SarcasticMel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pace is so overrated. Look at Theo.
difeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Gotta have Scholes in there, only recently retired and doesn't rely on pace at all.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. Look at Cambiasso this season - clearly still a genius with the ball at his feet but he's clearly running on empty come 70 minutes, and he's still got a decade on some of those names. In terms of skill they'd still make it look easy, but there's no way they'd be able to cope with 90 minutes on such regularity. In a set of one off matches I'd reckon they'd do fine, but competing in the premiership requires good fitness, particularly to play 2 or 3 games in quick succession, and the golden oldies just wouldn't have it in them any more.
DarrenBCFC
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
they could 0-0 thereselves to 38 pts.
The_Mighty_Bush
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not really just the lack of pace but the fact that they wouldn't have the stamina to last games or to press well.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
No. Look at Cambiasso this season - clearly still a genius with the ball at his feet but he's clearly running on empty come 70 minutes, and he's still got a decade on some of those names. In terms of skill they'd still make it look easy, but there's no way they'd be able to cope with 90 minutes on such regularity. In a set of one off matches I'd reckon they'd do fine, but competing in the premiership requires good fitness, particularly to play 2 or 3 games in quick succession, and the golden oldies just wouldn't have it in them any more.
This. We're seeing exactly the same with Gerrard this season.
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If they played negative, defensive football, and relied on set pieces I think they could probably avoid relegation. But as others have pointed out, they just don't have the pace and fitness to match the other teams in the league. If they were allowed 11 subs, and could make as many substitutions as they wanted they'd have a much better chance.
The Clockwork Apple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not only the pace but the stamina. 90 minutes of non-stop running is exhausting and definitely no small feat for a person who's out of practice and into their forties. Still, I'm curious to know what'd happen if this team actually existed.
TheInformer
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No way; they'd barely manage a single win.

They MIGHT manage a flukey draw here or there. They wouldn't even avoid relegation from the Championship or League One.

Plus they'd concede double figures a few times at least!
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They would win some games, I reckon they'd beat Villa, Everton, Arsenal, would stick a few past Sunderland.
wizward
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They would really struggle to compete in a physical and athletic league. Also, do these legends work well as a team? Probably not. Fitness would be a major issue too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads