The Student Room Group

How can I improve my employment prospects?

I didn't get the best of A-levels and I'm not studying at a fantastic uni or anything (DMU) but how can I improve my employment prospects? Currently studying Accounting and Finance :biggrin:
Original post by Reddington
I didn't get the best of A-levels and I'm not studying at a fantastic uni or anything (DMU) but how can I improve my employment prospects? Currently studying Accounting and Finance :biggrin:

work experience
Reply 2
Original post by Reddington

What sort of job are you aiming for then we will be able to help more?
Reply 3
Exaggerate. Sell yourself. If you didn't get good grades perhaps neglect to put the actual grades down, just the subjects you studied and at what level.

The CV is just a way to get yourself to interview, not a way to get yourself a job. The interview will be where you can talk more about what you can DO versus what you can PROVE. Ultimately if you go into an interview knowledgeable and showing an interest in the company (*always do your research, know important people's names*) then you'll nail it.

Don't go down the tempting route of lying, though. It might get you an interview but your lies could be exposed and you'll look an idiot - Someone I know lied about having a degree in computer science 15 years ago and has continued the lie as he progressed through the ranks and is now pretty high up in his company - and has finally been asked to provide proof of the degree certification. If this happens to you you'll be at risk of instant dismissal and possible prosecution for fraud.

~Matt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending