friend pressuring me to join ACN (MLM, pyramid scheme)

Watch
WarmEye
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Has a friend ever try to convince you to join their pyramid scheme? Any stories? And how do I tell him I dont wanna join this in the best manner? I don't want to make him feel like I'm hating. Let me share mine:

A good friend of mine who was part of my football team last year called me out of the blue. He is what I consider a good friend because he did used to check up on me to see how I was doing and used to want the best for me. Just a few days ago he called me saying he has a business opportunity for me that will change my life. My gut already told me it was too good to be true since I know about MLM pyramid schemes (got fooled into a job interview before and found it to be a pyramid scheme)

After that he continues to tell me to trust him and that he knows for a fact that we can make money off this. Bear in mind he doesn't want me to know the name of the company and continues to sway me to come to a meeting/event which I declined at first. I didnt want to know more so I decided to tell him im not interested but he kept pestering me to just give it a chance. At this time I find out it's a company called ACN and I'm already very familiar with since an old friend already tried to get me into it.

What I didnt like is his constant pestering and he even said ' I beg you to give it a chance'. I told him I already know ACN doesn't make its money from selling its services (broadband, gas and electric) they make money from their sign up fee which is £399. So the idea is to at first sell services to your warm market ( friends and family) and thereafter signing up people to become IBOs(independent business owners) So the more people you sign up to become IBOs (which is where the real money is at) the more "points" you get. So if you get 50 points you can get a certain amount money or whatever.

So after I explained that nearly everyone who joins ACN fails miserably he continued telling me it's gonna be a different experience with him and told me meet up with his upper guy who can 'explain it better'. Why would I be interested in a business that my own friend can't explain in one or two sentences? Surely thats a way of saying 'I dont know how to deal with resistance and non compliance but my supervisor does' ? Well, I agreed to go to his house for a meeting tomorrow but I told him I'd come with a notepad with facts about how much of a scam it is. However after even more research I now decided to not even waste my time and his. I'm literally about to text him that I'm not going anymore.

I feel so offended that a good friend would do such a thing to me, people have no hearts. These type of companies prey on the weak and ignorant. I feel so sorry that he got sucked into this because he'll feel like a fool after 6 months or so.
WarmEye
Rep:
?
Sorry for the double post but my phone doesn't allow the editing to be done properly.
I want to message him now because he expects me to be at house tomorrow (infact he's picking me up from my house) And I fear that after I reject it that I'm gonna have an awkward journey back home when he drops me off. And I don't want to catch a bus back home since its nearly an hour away. I can't believe hes putting me under such pressure!
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, he probably knows this and that's why he really needs you to join so he doesn't fail.
WarmEye
Rep:
?
Would you know how the best way is to break it to him?
jamie399
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ool,

My friend's friend asked him to go a business meeting, and he didnt say what it was, and then my friend dragged me along, and as soon as i got this bull**** meeting, i was just laughing, anyway they tried to pressure all of us to join, but I had a good excuse anyway, i was already making more money than the bs they gave us.

I think your best bet is to be honest and say that you don't want to join this thing, and if he still pressures you, say that you don't have the money and any money you do have you need for food etc, and if still wants you to join, i would reconsider your friendship.
domonict
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pyramid schemes are illegal in the UK

your friend risks 6 months and/or £5k in fines for encouraging anybody to participate
O.Ozz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I went to an acn meeting in August 2013 when back then it wasn't really a disturbance by chasing people to join the cult

My colleague at the time told me he had a secret business and wanted me to follow him on this meeting. I agreed and when i went to the meeting, it took me two minutes to realise this is a cult. I mean i loved the pitch the boss said on the meeting but when he told the new recruits that you had to pay like £400 (or something, i cant remember), i was ****ing pissed off. Obviously i told my colleague 'yeah i enjoyed this and i will think of it', he then kept on calling me obessively if i have signed up or not - just like what a religious cult would do.

Obviously this stopped soon when we both went our seperate ways, but this cult has become popular since late 2014 and some people in my college are pissed off by their own friends persuading them to join the cult.

Its like the Appco Group 2.0 or the Potter's House church... Its just a bad cult where you could potentially lose your money if you dont know how to sell. I wouldn't say a pyramid scheme but it just not for everyone and brainwashing fools into believing your gonna make a lot of money is just a plain ****ery.

Stay away please, tell your friend to **** off
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cue WarmEye posting. " I've joined"
georgiaswift
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also remember that pyramid schemes are illegal in: Albania, Australia, Austria,Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, the Dominican Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

So, providing you live in any of those coountries, you can use the illegality of it as an excuse too
Homeworkingmum
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pyramid schemes are illegal. Network marketing is not and it is a genuine way of making extra money if you're that way inclined. The main difference is that network marketing has a movement of products. A pyramid scheme does not. In network marketing you can go above the person that recruited you, and make more money than them. You can't do this in a pyramid scheme.
Now, I have my own network marketing business. I also have a number of best friends. People that should I guess, be on my warm list, my hot list people that are my friends, so they should join my business right? Wrong.
Network marketing is not for everyone. Personally I love what I do, but I know that my friends are not open to my way of thinking. They didn't sign up to my business when they became my friend! Why should they join my business, buy things from me and hear me bang on about my business every time we meet. Network marketing ruins friendships. If you have any doubts then tell your friend straight that you're not interested and how he's making you feel.
I get my customers through advertising and recruiting people that I don't know. It works very well. We start off with a professional relationship, where I teach them what I do, and show them how to do it themselves. We then become friends. You make a lot of friends in network marketing. And bp when business is over for the day, I relax with my non MLM friends.
Jojo2222
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This has to be the best post I have read in the whole of my research ever on MLM Marketing!!! This is how it should be, just explain the difference between MLM and Pyramid, and get to the point!! I have been dragged in to the juiceplus buzz and hated all the cheesiness that went with it. I am now researching LTW, paid my fee last night and I am just about to do my shop but I am NOT going to start asking everyone of my friends to join, the person above me will help recruit a team for me as she doesn't work and I work full time, If asked I will tell, if I hear someone mention they are interested I will pass them to the person who recruited me. no cheesy statuses, no obsessive recruiting, just shop and see how my team is doing. Honestly, to the original post, sometimes when someone is really pushy, as much as you don't want to offend them, the reason they keep coming back is because they see your politeness as a maybe. Be firm, be a little rude if you have to but then follow it up with a sentence that is about them, and carry on with your friendship. I am sure he would much rather know to not waste his time and yours where he could be nagging someone else lol

(Original post by Homeworkingmum)
Pyramid schemes are illegal. Network marketing is not and it is a genuine way of making extra money if you're that way inclined. The main difference is that network marketing has a movement of products. A pyramid scheme does not. In network marketing you can go above the person that recruited you, and make more money than them. You can't do this in a pyramid scheme.
Now, I have my own network marketing business. I also have a number of best friends. People that should I guess, be on my warm list, my hot list people that are my friends, so they should join my business right? Wrong.
Network marketing is not for everyone. Personally I love what I do, but I know that my friends are not open to my way of thinking. They didn't sign up to my business when they became my friend! Why should they join my business, buy things from me and hear me bang on about my business every time we meet. Network marketing ruins friendships. If you have any doubts then tell your friend straight that you're not interested and how he's making you feel.
I get my customers through advertising and recruiting people that I don't know. It works very well. We start off with a professional relationship, where I teach them what I do, and show them how to do it themselves. We then become friends. You make a lot of friends in network marketing. And bp when business is over for the day, I relax with my non MLM friends.
blessan502
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You say ACN is a pyramid scheme, but, what do you know about ACN? If it was a pyramid scheme, you may know that most of these schemes are shut down 3 years after they start up. ACN has been in the network marketing industry for over 20 years now, this itself shows the credibility of the business. Another face Richard Branson paid over £300 million to get into partnership with ACN, why would they do this if ACN was just a pyramid scheme as you said. ACN is the world’s largest direct seller of telecommunications, energy and essential services for home and business, but more importantly, they’ve provided a vehicle for countless individuals to change their lives. Yes, there are people who have failed in the business, but that is not ACN's fault, its because the people did not push themselves enough to become successful, you cannot blame the business for that. If you do not have the thirst for success, it really isn't meant for you. The paid the entrance fee and made over £700 in my first 2 weeks, by hitting the position of ETT. Now up for another bonus £960, for hitting the position of ETL, still think its not worth it?
WarmEye
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by blessan502)
You say ACN is a pyramid scheme, but, what do you know about ACN? If it was a pyramid scheme, you may know that most of these schemes are shut down 3 years after they start up. ACN has been in the network marketing industry for over 20 years now, this itself shows the credibility of the business. Another face Richard Branson paid over £300 million to get into partnership with ACN, why would they do this if ACN was just a pyramid scheme as you said. ACN is the world’s largest direct seller of telecommunications, energy and essential services for home and business, but more importantly, they’ve provided a vehicle for countless individuals to change their lives. Yes, there are people who have failed in the business, but that is not ACN's fault, its because the people did not push themselves enough to become successful, you cannot blame the business for that. If you do not have the thirst for success, it really isn't meant for you. The paid the entrance fee and made over £700 in my first 2 weeks, by hitting the position of ETT. Now up for another bonus £960, for hitting the position of ETL, still think its not worth it?
ACN is a cult filled with people who motivate each other with fake motivational conferences led by people who only see you as commodity, expandables. The only way you make real money is by recruiting people, having people switch their broadband or electric to ACNs partners wont make you real money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kimkarsd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
grow some balls and say no.
Pinkberry_y
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The fact that it's illegal should be enough to shut him up
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are a few differences between MLMs and pyramid schemes, but at the heart of it the actual product is irrelevant, They're not trying to sell you the product, they're trying to sell you the scheme. One more person buying cosmetics or vitamins or washing powder or whatever it is makes absolutely no difference to the person above you. What will make a difference is having another network below.

And they are very culty. If you don't do well, you can be sure that it's not the fault of the scheme or the product - it will be your fault, because you're not motivated or trained enough - so if you just buy the motivational training or sales training - you'll do better.

And there's always some guy telling you how he's a millionaire now, and he started out just like you, selling the stuff out of boxes in the back of his car - and now he's got two Bentleys and a private jet.

Very, very, very few people make anything at all out of MLMs - yet there's always someone telling you they're doing ok.
johnson samuel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
MLM companies are not illegal. They are on the periphery of pyramid structure. This is due to the infinite downlines with many companies operating recruitment businesses as oppose to selling products.
To stay on the borderline and comply with legality, they have to be seen to be retailing a significant percentage of their products. They overcome this by asking members to purchase to qualify for bonuses and most of the time stock gets stored and stay under the bed.
The claim that DSA is a legitimate policing authority for direct sales firms is a thing of the past. In the past, over 30-yrs ago, 95% of DSA's membership was made up of genuine sales organisations from the corporate world with a direct selling arm and the other 5% represented by MLM companies. Today, this has been turned upside down with 95% of DSA membership being held by MLM firms and the organisation will be a spent force without MLM.
The survival and growth of MLM has been fueled by the landmark victory Amway gained 40-yrs ago when the system was put under the spotlight. Amway held their on as well as agreeing to make changes which has enabled all the others to operate.
Amway being a one of the biggest supporters and biggest financial supporters of the republican party, is the other reason why the industry has moved on largely uninterrupted.
In summary, there are over 600 companies operating worldwide with this system but 99.5% do not make money. The people who are aligned at the top from the beginning will be the cheque wavers in the meeting. Exception to the rule, you will find odd sparks here and there and it's these people who are the magnets for the unwary newcomer.
Look at the link here if you are looking for an opportunity where there is no joining fee, qualification, stock buying or the promise of residual income. READ MORE! www.kangensource.com
Liverpool76
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not sure what do to, a friend has got me to sign up to ACN. I'm on a 7 day free trial which after I have to paid the licence fee or not join them . They have all my bank & contact details & I am meeting them tomorrow with another rep. Should I go are not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
28.03%
No (285)
71.97%

Watched Threads