Master's degree in Politics/IR with a BA in Modern Languages?

Watch
~Amaranta~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Would it be possible to do a Master's degree in an area such as politics, international relations, or international development with a BA in Modern Languages? Or do Master's and undergraduate degrees have to be directly related?
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
IR, European Studies, MPP and DEV are inter-disciplinary courses. You can enter with a Mod Lang degree. For subject master's (Econ, Law), you need prior BA credits.
sj27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ~Amaranta~)
Would it be possible to do a Master's degree in an area such as politics, international relations, or international development with a BA in Modern Languages? Or do Master's and undergraduate degrees have to be directly related?
Depends on the uni. Some politics/IR programmes insist on a politics or social science background, others will be more accommodating of wider academic backgrounds.
Not sure about development.
CUFCDan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on your research topic, Uni and work experience.

If you wanted to research, for example, social movements in the Arab Spring, I think a background in Arabic is more valuable than Democracy 101; or researching voting behaviour of German MEPs in the European Parliament would be better with fluent German. You get my point.

Increasingly, lots of courses are requiring a background in social statistics and/or research methods, though, so you best look closely at the requirements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (76)
16.41%
No one else does (142)
30.67%
I'm embarrassed about my background (53)
11.45%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (162)
34.99%
We don't use a video platform (7)
1.51%
I don't have a camera (11)
2.38%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (12)
2.59%

Watched Threads