The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

BCU Speech and Language Therapy/ Healthcare

Im a first year student studying SLT at City South campus. If you have any questions about this course or any other health courses, Id be happy to help!
Reply 1
Could I ask - how many contact hours/ days do you have lectures per week?

Also, do you require significant recent experience working with people with communication difficulties to be accepted on to the course?

North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by JWren88
Could I ask - how many contact hours/ days do you have lectures per week?

Also, do you require significant recent experience working with people with communication difficulties to be accepted on to the course?

I also would like to know
For the nhs 3 year SLT
It says online four days ..9am to early evening and I have children I would need childcare for .
So early evening ?????

Thank you
Yea me too - do you know which days and hours so I can plan please?
Reply 4
Hiya! I'm not sure whether you could advise me or at all be a comfort however...
I am a year behind as I stayed on just to complete my biology resit. I currently have two B's at A Level and I need a B in Biology to get onto this course.
Have you seen any posts about today's Edexcel Unit 4 exams? Basically a nation of tearful students...I'm so worried I'm not going to be able to achieve this B after how horrid this exam was. Do you know of anyone got onto the course with lower than the entry requirements through clearing?
Thanks a bunch xx
Bethany
Reply 5
Hi, I'm hoping to start sept 2016. Like others here I'm trying to gauge childvare requirements. The admissions tutors have been very helpful but can you please tell me roughly how often the lectures run past 5pm?

Many thanks
Hi,
Thought I could help as I'm also a SLT student at BCU (just started year 2) :smile: as much as I can remember we had the occasional lecture which finished at 6 or even 7pm but these were very rare! I'd say around two or three. Most of our lectures on average started at 9/10 and finished at 3/4. Let me know if you have any other questions or want to talk about the course!
x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by VaticanCameos
Hi,
Thought I could help as I'm also a SLT student at BCU (just started year 2) :smile: as much as I can remember we had the occasional lecture which finished at 6 or even 7pm but these were very rare! I'd say around two or three. Most of our lectures on average started at 9/10 and finished at 3/4. Let me know if you have any other questions or want to talk about the course!
x

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great, thank you! I've been tying myself in all kinds of knots trying to work out how I would manage it all and worrying about the potential cost of late child care.
I can imagine! don't worry though, I'm sure you'll be fine! there's plenty of part and full timers with children and other commitments and they manage :smile: let me know if you have any other questions!
I can imagine! don't worry though, I'm sure you'll be fine! there's plenty of part and full timers with children and other commitments and they manage :smile: let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi,
I'm going in to 1st year and wondered if you have an email address for the SLT dept as I want to find out about the induction week program and about parking on a Sunday. Many thanks.
Reply 10
Original post by shropshirelass51
Hi,
I'm going in to 1st year and wondered if you have an email address for the SLT dept as I want to find out about the induction week program and about parking on a Sunday. Many thanks.

Try this one....
[email protected]
Original post by Jo-sie
Try this one....
[email protected]

Many thanks
Reply 12
Hi,
x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there!
Just a quick question about placements, how are they allocated and where did you do yours?
Reply 13
Original post by speechtherapy01
Im a first year student studying SLT at City South campus. If you have any questions about this course or any other health courses, Id be happy to help!

What are the written interviews like? Hard?
And is there anything your supposed to before hand.

Hope that made sense :smile:
Hey :smile:
You don't get a clinical placement in first year, it's an observation placement for a week in a nursery of your choice and we did this around Easter time. Currently, I'm waiting to get allocated my 8 week clinical placement for year 2 which starts in October (which they allocate for you). Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maimr
What are the written interviews like? Hard?
And is there anything your supposed to before hand.

Hope that made sense :smile:

As far as I can remember, the written interview only lasts 30 mins or so. I'd just read up on the course and the career as much as possible before the interview which should help you feel more prepared :smile: I didn't find it too bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Thanks!

Is it essay based or.. ?
Reply 17
Original post by maimr
Hi there!
Just a quick question about placements, how are they allocated and where did you do yours?

My information is only based on speaking to the tutors but they told me they try to find placements which fit in with your other commitments but can't garauntee anything. The potential area for placements is very big! They look for placements that fit with your particular learning needs. I hope this helps, if you need more info you could try contacting them directly.
I can't quite remember :smile: it was similar to an essay I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending