depression/anxiety - should I drop out?

Watch
pterodog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I'm a first year student at Southampton University. I got diagnosed with depression and anxiety at the beginning of my second semester and despite being put on medication I haven't improved. Before Christmas I signed on a flat for next year with a group of flatmates and friends, since then they have been pretty racist towards me and I can no longer go out into the kitchen without feeling panicked that they might try and talk to me.

I told them I wasn't going to live with them any more but then realised that I have nowhere else to go and it's getting late in the year for me to find a new place. My studies are suffering because I never have the motivation to get out of bed or concentration to do anything.

I'm seriously considering taking a break and starting next year anew as a first year again, because it's getting to the point where just not being around any more is seeming like an easier way out than dealing with everything.

Does anyone have any advice?
toodamnmuch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello mate, I went through almost exactly the same situation except I was diagnosed with depression just before I started Uni, the dr's did what they thought was best, and put me on anti-depressants, the only problem was I was a lot more messed up than deppressed... I was having up to 15 panic attacks a day, when I got to uni, I only ever sat at the back of the class, with my housemates, no matter what the situation was, I could never sit down in a room with more than one other person, mate I was a bloody mess! Now.. I think you need to have a heart to heart with each one of your closer friends, it may help. Then you need to go to the Doctor, and explain everything, dont spare a single detail, there is a good chance that they will help, even if it's not the first visit that does the trick, you'll get there eventually.

Now what I am going to suggest, is going to sound insane, but it worked better for me than any prescription, and the many CBT sessions they made me attend(patronizing *******s they are)... Anyway one day just after the Christmas break, one of my housemates produced some LSD! Now the trip was uncomfortable, and at times, extremely so! But the very next day (i didnt notice at first) all of that underlying anxiety had not just lessened, it was gone!!! For the first time in years I felt like me again! I kept waiting for it to disapate, and for the panic attacks to just resume. However I still give thanks to God that I was so damn lucky.

But for the sake of sense go to the Dr's first, I'd be the first to admit that 95-98% of them are ******s, but they do try especially if they can see the severity of your issue.

However if that fails, you know what to do (try to do the things that make you uncomfortable whilst tripping)
If you have any reservations about this seemingly (radical) approach, 1st consider this LSD was actually being tested, and researched in therapy sessions when it got banned because the general public managed to get their hands on it, and held huge parties!
2nd Just type in your search engine 'LSD saved my life' there are hundreds of thousands of people who just want to let the world know how LSD can perminantly can change your life for the better, if not,give you a much needed 180. I know it sounds crazy,but its better than getting addicted to some prescription drugs for the rest of your life.

Im sorry that i'm the first person to reply, you deserved a much more level headed response, but people just dont understand the therapeutic uses of hallucinagens, but I got through Uni,my degree, and am all good.

Good luck bro!
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think an important thing to consider is how much your mental health issues are based on your circumstances, and how much they'd remain even under ideal conditions? It might be that once you get away from all the things making you miserable you'll see a big improvement, in which case the obvious thing to do is make some major life changes and get back on track with what you really want to do in life. A good way of testing this out would be to request a few weeks away from uni, and go do something completely different.

If you feel that your depression and anxiety would remain despite changing your circumstances, then it's probably you yourself that you need to change. So get back to your doctor, push for different treatment options (talking therapy, different medication, arts or gym on prescription are a few ideas), and really work at your recovery. It can be a seriously long and hard journey back to good health, but the more effort you put in the sooner you're likely to see results.

Absolutely don't take any crap from people about your race or health issues, that goes without saying. You might want to ask about changing flats, or even making a complaint against your 'friends' if you feel you're being bullied. Allowing yourself to be walked all over is a definite shortcut to low self-esteem!

Best of luck, and I hope you start feeling better soon.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed