The Student Room Group

Donald Trump announces interest in running for US President 2016

'The Independent'
Donald Trump, the developer and TV host, formally signalled his interest in running for president in 2016 declaring with a familiar absence of humility that he is “the only one who can make America great again”.

In a statement, the head of the Trump Organisation, a huge property conglomerate, said he was forming an “exploratory committee” to assess the possibility of a bid for the Republican Party nomination, traditionally the first step by any candidate with more than flippant designs on the White House.

Mr Trump, 68, flirted with a presidential run before the 2012 race but ultimately backed off. This time may be different; he also said he had recruited political staff with ties to three states that are crucial in the early stages of the nomination contest, Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

“We have lost the respect of the entire world,” Mr Trump said in today’s statement. “I am the only one who can make America truly great again!” He also touted his career building the Trump Organisation into the behemoth that it is “with very little debt”, skating over four bankruptcies over the years.

Hitherto Mr Trump’s biggest contribution to political discourse in the US was his haranguing of President Barack Obama to prove that he was actually a US citizen, a campaign that attracted widespread scorn but nonetheless was successful in forcing the president to release a full-length birth certificate.

“I have a great love for our country, but it is a country that is in serious trouble,” Mr Trump, sometimes referred to as The Donald, said in his statement that also called for rebuilding the nation’s infrastructure, improving border security, strengthening the military and improving the economy. “Americans deserve better than what they get from their politicians who are all talk and no action.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-announces-official-step-towards-presidential-run-10117017.html

Ugh, can anyone really imagine Donald Trump as US President? His ego would drown him, surely. :facepalm2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol. 2012 was the year for joke Republican candidates, not 2016. He'll be destroyed by some of the Republican heavyweights coming out before he even gets in sight of a democrat.
Doesn't he do this every four years?
I don't understand why no one tells him how ridiculous his "hair" looks. :confused:

Original post by americandragon
Doesn't he do this every four years?

15 more minutes of attention. He's loving it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Sabertooth
I don't understand why no one tells him how ridiculous his "hair" looks. :confused:

15 more minutes of attention. He's loving it.

Maybe he wants to draw more attention to the noble cause of obama's birth certificate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Aj12
Lol. 2012 was the year for joke Republican candidates, not 2016. He'll be destroyed by some of the Republican heavyweights coming out before he even gets in sight of a democrat.

Mitt Romney wasn't too far from beating Obama though, it has to be said. So if he was a joke candidate, I hate to think how one of the 'heavyweights' will fare. :tongue: Jeb Bush is the only Republican I'm aware of that's definitely standing. Sarah Palin's been a little quiet, but I wouldn't rule her out. But I think you're right - Trump is deluded if he thinks he can really become president. I do like how he thinks he's the only person that can 'make America great again' though. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think I could hate a US president more than Bush but I think Trump could give him a run for his money.
LOLOL this is exciting. Republican primary debates are going to be soooooooo funny.
Reply 9
Original post by Reluire
Mitt Romney wasn't too far from beating Obama though, it has to be said. So if he was a joke candidate, I hate to think how one of the 'heavyweights' will fare. :tongue: Jeb Bush is the only Republican I'm aware of that's definitely standing. Sarah Palin's been a little quiet, but I wouldn't rule her out. But I think you're right - Trump is deluded if he thinks he can really become president. I do like how he thinks he's the only person that can 'make America great again' though. :rolleyes:

True Romney did alright, but I don't think he really had much of a chance of actually winning, despite how close the polls were at times. The primaries do so much damage to candidates and Romney coukd not avoid being seen as a flip flopper.

It's all speculation right now but lots of Interesting candidates. Chris Christie, Marco rubio and a few others I've gone blank on. All much higher calibre than Romney.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When is the next series of the Appprentice.USA out???

It won't happen, he has said he will run for President plenty of times only to later back out for some spurious reason.

The truth is he is no wear near rich as he likes to portray himself as and he has absolutely no way near enough money to run as an independent.
He does this every time. He won't run, he just teases. He does it for popularity reasons. Of course there are idiots that believe he'll do it, and there are idiots who thinks he'd do a good job.
He is a massive blowhard, he would be terrible.
Original post by Reluire
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-announces-official-step-towards-presidential-run-10117017.html

Ugh, can anyone really imagine Donald Trump as US President? His ego would drown him, surely. :facepalm2:

real talk, the man needs to fix his hair n tings before running for president.
Donald Trump is a damn neocon
He's just doing this for the attention. The only serious prospects for the Republican nomination that i'm aware of are Jed Bush and Paul Ryan (despite being a Tea Party guy he's painted himself as credible over the past 4 years). There's a few that try run everytime and a few spoiler candidates like Ron Paul or his son but it's unlikely their pseudo libertarianism will capture the hearts and minds of the US.

At any rate, Clinton or Castro are probably capable of winning.
Reply 15
Original post by Reluire

Well George Bush won and he was a retard. So I don't trust the American Electorates (unfortunately).

If Donald Tramp run and win, he would polarise the world, the consequence would be hideous. He will make the errors in Iraq, looks like a spelling mistake.

Although i would like to know where he got his crappy hair piece from? "Billionaire" and can't afford a proper hair-do... the shame.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
His wig is running for vice president.
Original post by Rakas21
pseudo libertarianism

Interesting use of terms. What do you mean by this?
I don't want him to be president. He's such a nob the way he's been to the UK in regards to our renewable energy.
Reply 19
Original post by Sabertooth

That was the first thing I imagined when mentioning his name!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending