Hopes for the general election. Watch

Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What result within the realms of possibility would you like to see in the general election? (By that I mean that labour and the Tories are going to be the largest parties and only ed mil of David cam can be prime minister: greens, ukip and the liberals stent going to do THAT well.

1; lib dems retain most of their seats
2: Naajid Mawaaz is elected MP in hampstead.

3: SNP gains to be limited and all at labours expense.

4; Labour to take Brighton from the greens, using dirty tactics. Turn the green vote against labour (and thus more likley to favour lib dems!) this may well happen.

5: Ukip lose rochester and only gain South Thanet by a handful of votes. Ukip dies a slow death.

As for the overall result- Lib dems to be kingmakers and form a government with whoever gives them a better offer. Labours reckless spending will be curtailed as will the more unpleasant Tory policies...
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lab-Lib coalition on the condition Nick Clegg was not their leader.
Agree with the Lib's on PR and their drug policies.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)

1; lib dems retain most of their seats
2: Naajid Mawaaz is elected MP in hampstead.

4; Labour to take Brighton from the greens, using dirty tactics. Turn the green vote against labour (and thus more likley to favour lib dems!) this may well happen.

5: Ukip lose rochester and only gain South Thanet by a handful of votes. Ukip dies a slow death.

As for the overall result- Lib dems to be kingmakers and form a government with whoever gives them a better offer. Labours reckless spending will be curtailed as will the more unpleasant Tory policies...

1. Please tell me you're trolling. If the Lib Dems retain most of their seats I will personally lose all faith in the voting system and swing to the opinion that people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

2. No. Just no. Glenda Jackson to a former Islamic extremist? :rofl:

3. Most likely the case

4. Would be surprised, the Brightonites are seemingly quite proud of their new found Green heritage.

5. Reckless won't lose his seat after being put in it so recently.

Your idea of what you want from the election would legit be my idea of calamity.
Swanbow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lib Dems to retain around 30 seats, but with Danny Alexander and Clegg losing theirs. Tim Farron to become leader.
Labour to regain most of the seats they lost to the Tories in 2010 and get the most votes overall.
SNP to fall short of expectations and win fewer seats than predicted.
Greens to gain none, although hopefully Caroline Lucas keeps her seat.
UKIP to retain their seats and win a few more, to shake up the Tories.
Plaid to lose their seats.

Lab-Lib Coalition, backed by the SNP. Lib Dems go into coalition on the agreement to introduce mixed member proportional representation with 200 seats elected via the D'Hondt regional method we have at EU elections.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Conservative - UKIP coalition.

Lib dems wiped out

SNP steal a majority of Labour's Scottish holdings

:moon:
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Carry on with the Conservative - Lib Dem coalition.

Hope Farage gets elected. UKIP need quality, not quantity, in the house of commons.

Labour - couldn't really care what happens to them.

If none of the above, I hope Miliband loses his seat, but Labour win the election. haha. the look on his face will be worth it
Davij038
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
1. Please tell me you're trolling. If the Lib Dems retain most of their seats I will personally lose all faith in the voting system and swing to the opinion that people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

2. No. Just no. Glenda Jackson to a former Islamic extremist? :rofl:

3. Most likely the case

4. Would be surprised, the Brightonites are seemingly quite proud of their new found Green heritage.

5. Reckless won't lose his seat after being put in it so recently.

Your idea of what you want from the election would legit be my idea of calamity.
1: you have faith in the voting system to begin with? In 2010 the lib dems had four percent less votes than labour and they lost seats. PR is the way forward. Ironically, FPTP is (along with strong incumbents) be one if the main reasons why the lib dems will retain seats. If they can hold Eastleigh they can hold anywhere.

2: Glenda Jackson is standing down but even if she wasn't I can't think. Of anything of note she had done. Naajid is now a counter extremist.

4: other than the student vote, who like her because she is a nice person. The greens are generally disliked by the settled home owners. I wouldn't be surprised if she did hold though.

5: I campaigned in Rochester and most of the people voting ukip said they hated Reckless: even the ardent ukippers.
Davij038
Rep:
?
(Original post by Swanbow)
Lib Dems to retain around 30 seats, but with Danny Alexander and Clegg losing theirs. Tim Farron to become leader.
Urgh. I could deal with a left leaning lib dem leader. but i'd be be appalled if farron become leader- The guys some evangelical type- The Liberals need to carry on being the rational party!

(He and his mentor Shirley Williams also tried to block gay marriage. They can F*** off as far as i'm concerned. Even bloody Eric Pickles of all people is accepting of gay marriage now)
Davij038
Rep:
?
I think a Lab -Lib coalition is the best option unless the Tories do something crazy like offer a referendum on PR in return for one on Europe- That EU referedum may be the only thing to hold the party behind Cameron in the result of a hung Parliament.

Nick Clegg will be stepping down 2016/17 in any case I am pretty sure.

If they could Norman baker as Home Secretary that'd be fantastic too.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
2: Glenda Jackson is standing down but even if she wasn't I can't think. Of anything of note she had done. Naajid is now a counter extremist.
An islamic extremist who even you didnt get the name spelt right for. Yes, I'm sure he's going to take the polls by storm.
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In order of preference:
- Lab majority
- Lab/SNP
- Lab/Lib

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lab-SNP confidence and supply where genuine centre-left policies are passed.

Although I have this niggling feeling that the SNP will hold Labour to ransom to create their paradise in Scotland and wipe the Reds off the political map for a very long time.

It's either that or another Tory-led movement where we see what is left of our zombie country's infrastructure annihilated for more retail parks and housing estates with no one to live in/buy goods in 30 years time because 60-70% of the population is unemployed.

Hooray for choice.

Lib-Lab coalition might be good actually.
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Moosferatu)
Although I have this niggling feeling that the SNP will hold Labour to ransom to create their paradise in Scotland and wipe the Reds off the political map for a very long time.
Either they pull it off and make Scotland amazing or they screw up and make Scotland a labour stronghold again. Win-win really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Urgh. I could deal with a left leaning lib dem leader. but i'd be be appalled if farron become leader- The guys some evangelical type- The Liberals need to carry on being the rational party!

(He and his mentor Shirley Williams also tried to block gay marriage. They can F*** off as far as i'm concerned. Even bloody Eric Pickles of all people is accepting of gay marriage now)
Although he is a bit nutty, he has a common appeal and is good at grassroots campaigning. After the inevitable crash at the next election it will take a lot to rebuild their support. His issues on gay marriage are a bit of blight, but not extremely damaging or backwards. Farron can help the Lib Dems rebuild by appealing to the left and prioritising local issues at grassroot levels. Plus I think he would be the most workable candidate if the Lib Dems were to go into coalition with Labour. Whoever they elect they must not make the mistake of electing someone too boring.

Some of the classical liberals in the Lib Dems really belong in the Tory party. After the General Election I think there will be internal wrangling and a shift within the party. Personally I feel they need to rebrand and let the social democrats at the helm again as the centre is too saturated at the minute. Clegg appealing as the most centre party is doing nothing for the party's fortunes. The Greens are absolutely insane and I really dread the thought of them becoming the protest vote for the liberal and left leaning electorate.
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Asklepios)
Either they pull it off and make Scotland amazing or they screw up and make Scotland a labour stronghold again. Win-win really

Posted from TSR Mobile
For you guys up in Scotland maybe! England outside of the south-east loses again! No one to fight our corner with Labour being in such a state.
Gordon1985
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What result within the realms of possibility

Eh...
Davij038
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
An islamic extremist who even you didnt get the name spelt right for. Yes, I'm sure he's going to take the polls by storm.
Ah, its a tricky name to be fair. (Its Maajid nawaaz to anyone wondering)

He's a FORMER extremist who has now worked extensively COUNTERING extremists and has done a good deal of work. I wouldn't put it past disgusting labour tactics to try and demonize him as you have done though. This man is now getting death threats from hard line islamists.
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think if the Tories get the most seats at the next election it will be chaos. They need a big and unlikely swing if they are to win a majority. And if they don't they might not have enough seats to form a majority even if they continue in coalition with the Lib Dems. They would be at the mercy of Labour, and constitutional reform makes it a bit of a nightmare trying to hold another general election.

At least if Labour win they potentially have enough support to get them through a minority government.
Davij038
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gordon1985)
Eh...

What? If I said they wouldnt get any gains at all, then yes that'd be mad. I think the current polls predicting they'll get 50+ seats are unrealistic though. but we'll see.
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Moosferatu)
For you guys up in Scotland maybe! England outside of the south-east loses again! No one to fight our corner with Labour being in such a state.
The SNP will oppose cuts in England too. Although I would rather see a labour majority, I would happily accept a coalition with the SNP if it means getting rid of the wretched Tories. I don't think the argument "the SNP will only act in Scotland's benefit" is fully valid because it won't be any moreso than other Scottish MPs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.95%
Pop (192)
24.46%
Jazz (30)
3.82%
Classical (46)
5.86%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.85%