The Student Room Group

Can summer sessions be counted towards your degree?

Hi! :biggrin:

So my course is going to start in September, but my uni told me that I can only do my study abroad year at a uni they have an agreement with :K:. And the uni I definitely wanna go to, doesn't have an agreement with them of course.

So if I went for the summer sessions at this uni abroad, do you think it'd be possible to transfer some credits towards my degree?

Without knowing which university you're talking about, which course or which foreign university I'm amazed you expect us to add anything constructive here.

Oh sod it. Yes they will count. You'll get 25 credits towards your 3rd year but you must achieve a 'Pass' grade or higher and your attendance must be signed off by the Programme Director before you leave the country. Does that help?
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan2012
Without knowing which university you're talking about, which course or which foreign university I'm amazed you expect us to add anything constructive here.

Oh sod it. Yes they will count. You'll get 25 credits towards your 3rd year but you must achieve a 'Pass' grade or higher and your attendance must be signed off by the Programme Director before you leave the country. Does that help?

Well, I thought there's a general rule on that. Okay, it's the University of Strathclyde and my course is gonna be Business. And the Uni abroad is the University of California: Santa Barbara.
Each uni is different and they set their own rules. You would need to approach Strathclyde and tell them what you're looking to do, where, at what level, when and why, and see what they say. Though as they've already told you the study abroad needs to be with somewhere they have an agreement I expect you're out of luck on this one. Isn't the year abroad usually the 3rd/4th year? You'll have more important things to worry about for a couple of years than this.
Reply 4
Each uni is different and they set their own rules. You would need to approach Strathclyde and tell them what you're looking to do, where, at what level, when and why, and see what they say. Though as they've already told you the study abroad needs to be with somewhere they have an agreement I expect you're out of luck on this one. Isn't the year abroad usually the 3rd/4th year? You'll have more important things to worry about for a couple of years than this.

Alright, just didn't want to send them so many emails :biggrin:.
Yeah, it's the third year, so there's more than enough time until then.

This. I'd say what they've told you is a no. Why is it only Santa Barbara you want to go to?
Reply 6
Original post by SmallTownGirl
This. I'd say what they've told you is a no. Why is it only Santa Barbara you want to go to?

Just type "Isla Vista " into YouTube :P.
Well, it's a top ranked university, their campus is on the beach and I think it'd be amazing to study in California.
We aren't able to offer any more insight than you are. All universities have extremely different policies, the only same kinda things are the SU influence as they're mostly signed up to the NUS.

Email the university that you're starting out and ask for a face-to-face meeting about the situation. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest