Mayonnaise87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, Ive been accepted to study at UEA in september 2015 for nursing and I was wondering is this the gym? I use total fitness 4-5 times a week currently where i live in manchester to do weight lifting, is there a normal type free weight gym here? Would I need to purchase the 300 a year membership card to use this?

Not interested in clubs or activities or anything just want to use the weights section (if they have one) thanks for any help!
MediterraneanX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi - it's a big fitness centre with a swimming pool, climbing wall, various sports halls and athletics tracks and of course a gym. It does have a special weights room as well. There's a student membership offer or you can pay to go in each time - definitely don't get the 300 a year membership!
Mayonnaise87
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot!
makingamemory
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mayonnaise87)
Hey, Ive been accepted to study at UEA in september 2015 for nursing and I was wondering is this the gym? I use total fitness 4-5 times a week currently where i live in manchester to do weight lifting, is there a normal type free weight gym here? Would I need to purchase the 300 a year membership card to use this?

Not interested in clubs or activities or anything just want to use the weights section (if they have one) thanks for any help!
You can PAYG, but if you're using it 4-5 times a week, at £3 (off-peak), for 38 weeks of your halls contract (I know the Nursing contract is longer) that'll be £570, so the student membership in this case is a lot cheaper! I think PAYG only works out cheaper if you use it less than 3 times a week. But I'd definitely suggest trying it out first PAYG to see if they have all the equipment you want before you buy the annual membership.

There is a whole free weights section, which was refitted and expanded last year...except that's as far as I can describe it because that's the only equipment I don't use
Mayonnaise87
Rep:
?
Thanks alot dude \o/
Spudgunhimself
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay, the gym is £150 per year for students (bargain), that allows you to go all hours on weekends and from 6:30am-4pm then 8:30-10pm on week days. There are two squat racks with standard 20kg barbells, plenty of plates to put on them, each squat rack has a deadlift platform. There's a flat bench press and an incline bench press each with their own bar. A smith machine (lol), 4 standard benches for the many dumbells ranging from 2kg to 40kg. There's a bicep isolation bench (I dont know what it's actually called), and a hyperextension table. In total there's 3 cable cross stations each with 2 cables, and 1 with one cable. there's also a crossfit area with all the stupid dynamic **** like a trampoline that you bounce your medicine balls off. There's also an entire resistance training machine area with pretty much everything you need including an assisted pull up/dip machine.

It is a really good gym for beginners, but you need to learn to be confident about working around a lot of other people, especially at the start of the year as almost everyone wants to reinvent themselves and join the gym. It all settles down after a couple of months though
cmlillis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Spudgunhimself)
Okay, the gym is £150 per year for students (bargain), that allows you to go all hours on weekends and from 6:30am-4pm then 8:30-10pm on week days. There are two squat racks with standard 20kg barbells, plenty of plates to put on them, each squat rack has a deadlift platform. There's a flat bench press and an incline bench press each with their own bar. A smith machine (lol), 4 standard benches for the many dumbells ranging from 2kg to 40kg. There's a bicep isolation bench (I dont know what it's actually called), and a hyperextension table. In total there's 3 cable cross stations each with 2 cables, and 1 with one cable. there's also a crossfit area with all the stupid dynamic **** like a trampoline that you bounce your medicine balls off. There's also an entire resistance training machine area with pretty much everything you need including an assisted pull up/dip machine.

It is a really good gym for beginners, but you need to learn to be confident about working around a lot of other people, especially at the start of the year as almost everyone wants to reinvent themselves and join the gym. It all settles down after a couple of months though
Does the discounted student membership include entry to the swimming pool as well as the gym?
Cate1976
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Current membership details:

http://www.sportspark.co.uk/document...8-2cf7abe444e7

If link doesn't work the info is under pricing, then click download price list brochure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (60)
36.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (17)
10.43%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (9)
5.52%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (39)
23.93%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
14.72%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
8.59%

Watched Threads