The Student Room Group

AQA, The State and People: Britain 1918-1964, HIS3J, Monday 8th June

I haven't seen an active thread for this unit yet, so...

If anyone can help me for a practise question I'm doing I'd be grateful.

Fall of labour 1931: what was due to events out of Macdonald's control and what was due to his poor leadership?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any predictions for what may come up?
Original post by CoBu
Any predictions for what may come up?

not really, haven't even checked past papers, just started my revision for this unit. But what I do know is the content is A LOT less than AS content - thank god.
Reply 3
I've just started revision too, left it a bit late. These were last years questions:

0 1 ‘Lloyd George fell from power in 1922 because he was “the prisoner of theConservatives”.’Assess the validity of this view.[45 marks]

0 2 ‘British governments, in the years 1929 to 1951, were unsuccessful in dealing witheconomic problems.’Assess the validity of this view.[45 marks]

0 3 'The dominance of the Conservatives, in the years 1951 to 1964, was due to divisionswithin the Labour Party.'Assess the validity of this view.[45 marks]
Yeah I sat last years paper. I think they might ask about the Liberals and Labour this year. To be honest they could ask about anything, can't really come to a conclusion of what they might ask until I finish the content. And look at the pattern of the past papers. But they do love synoptic questions
I'm 100% sure there will be a question on economic problems, and how well they were dealt with, either during the 1930s or across the whole period. I also think that there will be a question on both of the Labour governments, either why they fell or how successful they were.
Reply 6
Original post by SSJ_Bardock
I'm 100% sure there will be a question on economic problems, and how well they were dealt with, either during the 1930s or across the whole period. I also think that there will be a question on both of the Labour governments, either why they fell or how successful they were.

What makes you so sure?

Also there was a question on the economy last year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Our teachers told us to focus on the General Strike, Minority Labour Govts, Churchill and 1945 election (with it being the 70th anniversary), comparison questions MacDonald vs Attlee, comparison of Baldwin vs Churchill and Post 1945 Economy such as nationalisation, Labours adaptation on Keynes, 'Super-Mac' etc.
Reply 8
Thank you, you are an absolute gem!
Original post by SP_23
Thank you, you are an absolute gem!

And you're a ****
Reply 10
Original post by jjokocha324
Your mum was raped, she tried to use a coat hanger to abort you, you sucking accident

lmaooo what a sad life you must have, I pity you man. How physically and mentally weak must you be that you find it necessary to anonymously talk **** over the internet haha, spineless little bitch it's so embarrassing. Re-evaluate your existence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by YasminAbdi
why did you delete the sources you put up? so pathetic lol, why put them up in the first place?

Please explain to me what is 'so pathetic' about me putting sources up for a day and then removing them? Anybody who was following the thread at the time had access to them and some found them helpful, so it's hardly pathetic you ignorant fool. I was not obliged to put them up, I did it to help and perhaps invite more people into the thread to share their sources. Considering you've done nothing to help anybody on this thread, I'd reconsider where you're directing the insults.

I can only assume you're so clearly upset about it because you didn't get to see them hahaa.
Back of you sperm stain, faggot
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Does anybody have any idea where I can find good sources in regards to AQA's checklist : Churchill's coalition Government; labour mobilisation and the conduct of 'total war'. Our college has completely missed out all information about the run up and duration of the war! Although probably not as important as some aspects of the course I still would like some background knowledge of this point AQA have put up! Would really appreciate any help.
Reply 14
Original post by THP_123
Our teachers told us to focus on the General Strike, Minority Labour Govts, Churchill and 1945 election (with it being the 70th anniversary), comparison questions MacDonald vs Attlee, comparison of Baldwin vs Churchill and Post 1945 Economy such as nationalisation, Labours adaptation on Keynes, 'Super-Mac' etc.

Any other suggestions?
What do people think is gonna come up on Monday? My teacher says they usually put one on of later dates like 60s as they think it catches people out who rushed through the end of the course. I think it could be on Churchill as a leader as I don't think they've asked on just him before?
Reply 16
Original post by evemctomney
What do people think is gonna come up on Monday? My teacher says they usually put one on of later dates like 60s as they think it catches people out who rushed through the end of the course. I think it could be on Churchill as a leader as I don't think they've asked on just him before?

There seems to be a general agreement that the 1945 election is likely to come up, has your teacher said anything about that? In relation to the latter end of the course, perhaps something on '13 wasted years' or consensus politics. Maybe it will be a comparison question, assessing the achievements of the conservatives vs earlier governments, or comparing leaders?
Original post by CoBu
There seems to be a general agreement that the 1945 election is likely to come up, has your teacher said anything about that? In relation to the latter end of the course, perhaps something on '13 wasted years' or consensus politics. Maybe it will be a comparison question, assessing the achievements of the conservatives vs earlier governments, or comparing leaders?

Yeah we have gone over that quite a bit as she is sure it'll be something to do with 1945 time so I'm gonna go over why labour won again/conservatives didn't. She also thought perhaps the Welfare state reasons for it could be a possible question which I'd like as I've already done an essay on that! Yeah I think maybe a comparison leader one but I have a feeling the conservative 13 years in power may be a question. I just know it won't be on LG again which is a shame as I feel that would be an easier leader/time period to do on.
Reply 18
Original post by evemctomney
Yeah we have gone over that quite a bit as she is sure it'll be something to do with 1945 time so I'm gonna go over why labour won again/conservatives didn't. She also thought perhaps the Welfare state reasons for it could be a possible question which I'd like as I've already done an essay on that! Yeah I think maybe a comparison leader one but I have a feeling the conservative 13 years in power may be a question. I just know it won't be on LG again which is a shame as I feel that would be an easier leader/time period to do on.

What sort of points would you put on the consensus question? I'm finding it hard to match my points to what the exam board are looking for!
Reply 19
Does anybody have any predictions/Mock examples of what a 1945 General Election question may look like? I've looked at "why did labour win/why did the conservatives lose the 1945 general election" But I'm struggling to think of other ones

Quick Reply

Latest