kestrelforaknave
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone!

I'm currently trying to navigate the labyrinth of FPAS job rankings. I've got no idea how to go about ranking them all. I'm thinking of sorting by location, then ranking rotations within that. I know a couple of my friends have printed out all of the rotations, cut them out and arranged them on the floor. Seems like an okay way of doing it but does anybody know a better method?

I've had a brief perusal of Google's results, but there seems to be very little advice on how to do this.

How is everybody going about it?

G'luck!

KFAK
Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I used the print out and cut up and rearrange on the floor technique. There were specific jobs I wanted so anything including anaesthetics or ICU went to the top of the pile, anything that had GP/Psych went to the bottom... I also gave preference to any jobs in between that kept me in one place for the whole 2yrs (we got given the whole 2yr rotations but not everyone did). The other thing I did to sort out the jobs in the middle was came up with a ranking system where specific jobs within the rotation were given a score and specific locations were given a score then the jobs ranked based on the overall value... (very scientific approach!)
kestrelforaknave
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The 'score' approach is genius. I'm thinking of looking at every possible specialty and rating each out of 10. Then it just becomes a maths exercise with some fine tweaking at the end. Great suggestion, Hygeia.
hoonosewot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeh, i did a cut out on the floor system and ranked them based on a scoring system. -1 for rotations i hated, 0 for meh rotations, 1 for good rotations and 2 for great rotations.
Cei
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I used Excel with a downloaded copy of my deanery's job list (318, thanks!). I then created a new sheet where they were all separated by location.

After that, I put my preferred speciality+location right at the top (so paeds). Then I went down a descending list of location preference, sub-ranking within that by what specialities I liked. As I'm going to Wales, location was more important than speciality as I don't want to be in the north! If I was at a smaller deanery in geography terms I would have been a lot more tempted to rank speciality blocks.
TheRabbit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I used excel and different coloured text and boxes.

I had 50 programmes to rank but was only really interested in programmes mainly from one area and a few from another and made a excel sheet with around 30 programmes from this. As about half were paired with FY2, I had a system with if a job contained GP it was orange, EM green, both blue, both and "good" 3rd rotation dark blue, acute medicine got yellow boxes in Fy1. Specialities I didn't like were orange text, specific locations and different hospitals got different text styles or colours. This made it easier to pick out which programmes had more rotations that I liked.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My focus was staying in Brighton as my boyfriend (now husband) had a permanent job in Brighton. So my strategy was using a spreadsheet to divide into the following categories

1) Jobs which were in Brighton or easily commutable from Brighton the first year with a second year in Brighton or easily commutable from Brighton - Ranked in order of desirability

2) Jobs which had the first year in Brighton or easily commutable from Brighton and the second year away from Brighton - Jobs where the second year was in London were at the top (as I figured I was more likely to be able to swap them) they were then ordered in order of preference for the F1 job.

3) Jobs with the first year away from Brighton second year in or commutable from Brighton ranked in order of distance from Brighton first then jobs second

4) Jobs which had two years away from Brighton ranked in order of distance in the first year from Brighton (with a hope that I could swap the second year to be in or close to Brighton.

This took a while but it worked as I have yet to have to leave Brighton (4 and a half years post qualification). However this was obviously a very geographical way of doing things. If you don't have a particular attachment to an area then this probably isn't the method for you!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Complicated scoring system followed by going down the list and comparing each rotation with the one above. The main changes were that rotations that had both good and bad jobs rose a lot as I felt a bad job is tolerable for the sake of a good one.
dances_with_lamposts
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I ranked the 364 Wales F1 jobs, I put everything with psych/GP/O&G at the bottom, put the North wales jobs top and prioritised jobs with paeds/anaesthetics. The list kinda just fell into place from there. And then I had to do it all again for F2!
Andrea990
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In your opinion, what are the placement to absolutely have/avoid? And why?
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So hard to exclude Psych and GP, there are hardly any jobs without either
Dexa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm hoping to go into Radiology so I'm trying to get 2 surgical, 2 medicine and A&E/ICU for a good portfolio of acute medical and surgical specialities. But since I'm planning on doing MRCS Part A in FY1 need to make sure I have at least 1 "easy" rotation so I can get revision done...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.7%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.4%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.93%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.34%

Watched Threads