Anyone know about the feasability of switching firms after i acheive acca status

Watch
mynamesjor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

I am currently working in a baker tilly office on my training contract as a graduate recruit.

Its ok but I'd really like to gain experience in the big 4 at some point.

I was hoping someone could tell me whether or not its common for the big 4 to take on recently qualified accountants from smaller firms as ive heard a lot of big 4 trainees move to industry when they can.

and is this as competitive as graduate jobs.

Im hoping to do my 3 years and get my acca exams done and then move if possible.
Tbx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm also interested in hearing about this as it appears unlikely I'll get into big 4 straight away.

(Original post by mynamesjor)
Hi

I am currently working in a baker tilly office on my training contract as a graduate recruit.

I was hoping someone could tell me whether or not its common for the big 4 to take on recently qualified accountants from smaller firms as ive heard a lot of big 4 trainees move to industry when they can.

Im hoping to do my 3 years and get my acca exams done and then move if possible.
I think it is possible but quite rare.
I'm guessing your in Scotland as your studying the ACCA for Baker Tilly? What service line are you currently on?
mynamesjor
Rep:
?
no, im in northern ireland doing audit and assurance.

why do you think its rare?
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mynamesjor)
Hi

Actually the Big Four do a fair bit of recruiting at the newly qualified level. At least in audit (which is where most ACA/ACCA trainees are) about 90% of the Big Four's own trainees leave within a year of qualification, meaning that there are a lot of vacancies to fill. I've met several people who've come from smaller firms (all the way down to coming in from tiny 2 partner outfits).

Due to high staff turnover you should then progress quite decently through the ranks. I really don't think it's that competitive, audit's largest operational problem is staff retention so anyone going the other way will be a welcome sight for Big Four recruiters and department managers.

Though going to industry is probably the most taken option, it is not where all Big Four trainees go. A lot try to transfer internally to Corporate Finance or advisory type roles or go do that at some other firm.
mynamesjor
Rep:
?
thats handy news

I think im keen to try and transfer myself and get some big4 experience and then either try and go into industry myself or try and get into forensics.
username1204872
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by snakesnake)
Actually the Big Four do a fair bit of recruiting at the newly qualified level. At least in audit (which is where most ACA/ACCA trainees are) about 90% of the Big Four's own trainees leave within a year of qualification, meaning that there are a lot of vacancies to fill. I've met several people who've come from smaller firms (all the way down to coming in from tiny 2 partner outfits).

Due to high staff turnover you should then progress quite decently through the ranks. I really don't think it's that competitive, audit's largest operational problem is staff retention so anyone going the other way will be a welcome sight for Big Four recruiters and department managers.

Though going to industry is probably the most taken option, it is not where all Big Four trainees go. A lot try to transfer internally to Corporate Finance or advisory type roles or go do that at some other firm.
This. Although I wouldn't call staff retention an operational problem. It's just the business model. From speaking with senior individuals at my firm it's far better now that the attrition rate post qualifying is c. 90% during good economic times, when compared with the low attrition rate they were seeing around 2008-2010.

Auditing isn't hard so it's easy to recruit and train up ACAs / ACCAs from lower tiered firms.

OP: You shouldn't have any problems getting into Big 4 audit after qualifying at Baker Tilly.
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Roronoa)
This. Although I wouldn't call staff retention an operational problem. It's just the business model. From speaking with senior individuals at my firm it's far better now that the attrition rate post qualifying is c. 90% during good economic times, when compared with the low attrition rate they were seeing around 2008-2010.

Auditing isn't hard so it's easy to recruit and train up ACAs / ACCAs from lower tiered firms.

OP: You shouldn't have any problems getting into Big 4 audit after qualifying at Baker Tilly.
It is part of the business model, agreed. But there can be such a thing as too much staff jumping ship, leaving very few to carry out the work. That is a clear and present danger.
wannabeaca
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by snakesnake)
It is part of the business model, agreed. But there can be such a thing as too much staff jumping ship, leaving very few to carry out the work. That is a clear and present danger.
If it got serious, they'll have a salary structure to counter those problems. They obviously do something along these lines - I'm pretty sure they don't play lottery and see what balls come out.
username1204872
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by wannabeaca)
If it got serious, they'll have a salary structure to counter those problems. They obviously do something along these lines - I'm pretty sure they don't play lottery and see what balls come out.
Exactly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
61.82%
No (42)
38.18%

Watched Threads