This discussion is closed.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hello happy people, hows u all doing! Have any of u been reading papers or watching news today? If not i think you all should read this-

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/article.../06232003d.php

turns out that the record industry of america is gonna sue us all for using kazaa! Can the Record industry of america do that to us over here? is that legal-surely they will need prove that we have it and the only way to do that is to hack into our hard drives! What do ppl think?!
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Then we can all sue the music industry of america for invasion of privacy, hacking, breaking the data protection act and many other laws preventing them from doing this, so i believe they will drop the charges, or be paying out soooooo much more than they would get if they could even get that many people into a court.
Guest Rob
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Iluvatar
Then we can all sue the music industry of america for invasion of privacy, hacking, breaking the data protection act and many other laws preventing them from doing this, so i believe they will drop the charges, or be paying out soooooo much more than they would get if they could even get that many people into a court.
You'd never get a sane lawyer to take that case on. Besides, you are openly putting your files on display by connecting to a filesharing server, and so no invasion of privacy is taking place.

They'll probably start with damages against american nationals first, but if they get someone on-side over here (I think it's EMI and Sony conducting this, both of whom will be able to in their UK offices) then expect the UK to follow shortly.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, you are not. You are putting up the files you choose to put up, but if you restrict any area of it, then they cannot access it.
Anyway, they are not the people you expect to be looking at these files, so cannot legally obtain the data.
I know a lawyer who would take it up.
He's sort of sane
Guest Rob
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
No, you are not. You are putting up the files you choose to put up, but if you restrict any area of it, then they cannot access it.
Anyway, they are not the people you expect to be looking at these files, so cannot legally obtain the data.
I agree with the first part of that, from what I've heard on the radio they only intend to search for your shared files, if they were going to start probing hidden areas on your hard drive then that would be very, very illegal. However, when you "share" files, it is exactly that - any user could look at, and download them. Whether that user is Joe Bloggs or EMI is invisible to you.

I know a lawyer who would take it up.
He's sort of sane
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
so if i download a file, but then choose not to share it... im safe???

love Katy ***
Ollie
Rep:
?
dunno!? im just a bit woried cos ive downloaded about 3000 songs over the last few months! i might keep a low profile for a while and see how it goes. Which is the illegal bit-downloading a song or sharing a song?
Guest Rob
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Ollie
dunno!? im just a bit woried cos ive downloaded about 3000 songs over the last few months! i might keep a low profile for a while and see how it goes. Which is the illegal bit-downloading a song or sharing a song?
From what I make of it, the record companies don't mind you downloading - they said they will sue people who "keep" files, implying they see it reasonable to try before you buy.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
just hold a second before you all start talking about invasion of privacy, hacking and illegal downloading. how on earth would the RIA ever manage to take several million people to court? and that is several million people from across the globe, how would you ever be able to seriously round up so many people and force them to pay you money? i find the very notion ridiculous, maybe they are planning to sue the creators of kazaa but there is no way there are going to sue every single person on the planet that uses or has ever used kazaa!
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont think they can sue kazaa because they are providing a legal service and its the users making it illegal (its like trying to convict knife makers because some people use knives to kill).
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
just hold a second before you all start talking about invasion of privacy, hacking and illegal downloading. how on earth would the RIA ever manage to take several million people to court? and that is several million people from across the globe, how would you ever be able to seriously round up so many people and force them to pay you money? i find the very notion ridiculous, maybe they are planning to sue the creators of kazaa but there is no way there are going to sue every single person on the planet that uses or has ever used kazaa!
Most likely they will initiate a lawsuit against those who are major contributors to sharing and also high profile organisations involved.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
The way for the RIA to stop file sharing is to stop producing **** music. I download, but the bands I like I buy the albums of. Who want's to spend £15 to hear some talentless ****, who only got where they are because of how they look, pretend to sing?

Also I use Grokster, and even if EMI find your user name and see what files you are sharing, there is no way for them to find out who you are.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
OK, time for some sanity.

1) It is true that anyone (including record companies / F.A.C.T etc....) can download from you.

2) It is utter crap that they have the power to take you on legaly because for a start they would need to contact you formaly. This would mean that they would have to obtain your address from somewhere ( you can't sue someone via E-mail). Due to the fact that if anyone shares you address without your consent (excluding matters of national security), they can be prosecuted, the authorities could not have the legal power.

3) For them to probe the unshared sections of your Hard-Drive would be VERY illegal and you could sue them for an absolute fortune.
Lost Soul
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Ollie
Is that a written confetion?

They couldn't get anybody with it anyway, coz they need people real names addresses etc. unless they fork out millions to various ISP's for their logs of what you've been using over their servers.

Lost Soul
Al:Guest
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
The intention is just to scare people ... and it seems to be working! Apparently only the really heavy users will potentially be targeted, so i'm not too bothered personally. Some people have like 5000 songs shared, I only have about 50 max at a time.
Ollie
Rep:
?
yeah, they wanna log the time, file name and your IP addrees and then pressure the ISP you use to match that information to a name and address! Can I ring up bt (my isp) and ask them not to share my information with 3rd parties? Then they couldnt legally could they??
kishanj
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
protect urselves by getting a prog called peer guardian from http://xs.tech.nu. install this n it will block out all the big firms that are after us. if ur still worried stop using kazaa n switch to earth station 5, the law wont go after this for some reason and u cud also use edonkey2000.

does ne1 know if they gna go after ppl who use bit torrent and MIrc
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'm jus warning u guys it isnt a scare cause i went to my work experience today an this head of it was talking to me and he said that it had been decided last friday to specifically target every user of kazaa and sue them, and by the way they can get your details-however it is most likely to be in an illegal way. But can it effect ppl who use kazaa lite?
Ollie
Rep:
?
yeah i read ure other thread, and i dont beleive you. Its impossible to sue about 15000000 people. Just think about it. I reckon it doesnt matter whether its kazaa or kazaa lite cos they both use the same system- lite is just a stripped down version of kazaa
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
but they only have to sue 20 random people and it would deter everyone. and knowing my luck, id b one of the 20!

love Katy ***
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (298)
34.17%
No (574)
65.83%

Watched Threads