The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To whom this concerns:

1) rumors: Someone I know said that Kazaa is suing random users up to $150,000 per song they download. "They need the money for lawyers for their cases!!!"

2) Im sure that they (gov./kazaa) want us to lay low for a while, I also heard that they are targeting the high users. The ones noted as "Supreme Beings" on kazaa

3) Recommendations: -Don't dl for a while
-Don't let other people upload
-follow posts and the news
-spread the word about the lawsuits,
there are still people that don't know
about them.
-Check into other dl sites, (ie: iMESH)
iMESH hasn't been targeted yet... :smile:

Peace out...
AIM = tyler91787
Reply 21
Am finding all of this a bit hard to believe. They probably are just trying to scare people. They should either make CDs cheaper or they should find some way of using music downloading to their advantage. I have no pity for record companies. They are absolutely rolling in it so why should a kid have to spend all their pocket money on a CD that dost ooh, 50p to make.
Reply 22
50p to make, but how are u gonna encourage ppl to make the music without money?! I can see the injustice, but at the same time the industry is ripping us off and why pay when you can get it free?
Originally posted by Toyosi
Am finding all of this a bit hard to believe. They probably are just trying to scare people. They should either make CDs cheaper or they should find some way of using music downloading to their advantage. I have no pity for record companies. They are absolutely rolling in it so why should a kid have to spend all their pocket money on a CD that dost ooh, 50p to make.
And you're supposedly going to study law? :rolleyes: I don't think you're adopting a very legal view on this that an aspiring lawyer would.
Reply 24
what is the legal view someone!
ok i don't know how they would get your name and address but has anyone thought about kazza giving it away? Has anyone read the Terms of Use and can say hat kazza is not allowed to share your information? I already know kazza has spyware from Brilliant Digital Entertainment.
Reply 26
u dont give then ure name/address, and if spyware is doing it, then its illegal!
i didnt get to read a your little storys but from the first few post i can tell you guys dont know what your talking about... when whatshisface said somethign liek well sue them for hacking our computers... read ppl read.. they have gotten rights that the can do that... and the rounding ppl up all them millions of ppl rounded up will neevr work.. who ever said that is wrong too.... wtf are taxes? are taxes things that i just pay? cuz im pretty sure everyone has to pay them dont they? they can make ppl pay.

and the post right above mine... wtf THEY HAVE RIGHTS THROUGH COURTS!!
THIS IS TO THE PERSON SAYING THEY SHOULD LOWER CD COSTS!
... even if cds were even 5 dollars... would you buy them? y would you when you can get them for free.... i think they would sell alot more cds yes but with the cut back in prices the extra bought cds would make up for the missed price. think of it this way... say a cd cost 15 dollars.. (i havent bought one in a while think they abotu 12 too) ok say its 15 dollars for a cd.. and they drop the price to.. say 10 7-8 bucks... so. 8 dollars for a cd.. when i cn burn one for prolyl abotu 50 cents.. hmmm.. yes save me the time.. but 8 dollars is money in my pocket.. (my opion) anyway,, if they droped prices that much... do you think sales would DOUBLE!!... hell no! even if they did double they would ONLY BREAK EVEN! they cant afford to drop prices... and even if they did i dont think they would get half as many ppl as they think they would to buy more cds

Reply 29
They'd probably lose a lot by cutting prices, but I still think they can do better than they are atm.

They could for example sell albums/individual tracks online for low cost e.g. £7/£2, encouraging people to use the service already available. As long as the music they provide is high quality and licenced (e.g. WMA copy-protection) they will improve sales for 2 reasons. One is, some people prefer to legally own a product than illegally get it. Secondly, people don't gain as much for copying and selling cds because high-quality copies can be legally obtained by download. Also licensing would allow them to include more things like music videos with the albums/tracks so consumers gain.

At the moment, as some people have already said, they're rolling in it, with expensive albums at low quality (due to all the copy protection). Music CDs haven't changed since they were first made, but technology has improved since. If they wish to charge >£10 for an album nowadays, I'd expect music videos, lyrics, digital 5.1 encoded audio as well as any other useful additions, perhaps in DVD format.
Reply 30
Hi guys, I'm Dusty, resident newbie here... I use Grokster... what do you guys recommend, definitely stay with the above advice for Kazza and don't dl nething? Or go right ahead before they shut it down? I know the Grokster president is fighting for us, but I don't have $150k to get sued with!!!

Cheers,

Dusty
No one has mentioned this attack began a week after the RIAA and it's associated corporations signed an out of court settlement with the Department of Justice agreeing they will refund several hundred millions of dollars they illegally ripped from us.

Of course they admitted no liability, nor did they admit to any wrongdoing. Just business.....................

Coincidence?
Reply 32
there is a new version of kazaa lite out (kazaa without the crap) which is supposed to block the riaa. worth a try?
Reply 33
If i were you I wouldn't trust any new software releases "claiming" to prevent spyware, unless I wrote it myself. I know what can and can't be hidden in programs and once tracked always tracked.

Lost Soul
Reply 34
yeah, i wouldnt risk it, but kazaa lite is much better, kazaa caused my cpu to hang on shutdown so i deleted it, did a spyware sweep (18 found) and installed kazaa lite. Now there is no probs, it was cos the spyware was using my internet connection always. Lite is purely a hacked version of kazaa. U should check it out!
I think they should just sue the creator of kazaa. We're the customers. I mean, come on. Who would give up a chance to download free music? If they were us, they wouldn't give up that chance either. The creator of kazaa knows what he/she is doing is illegal. So he/she needs to be sued, not us. We're not running the buisness. The kazaa creator is.
Reply 36
There is sooooooooo much wrong with what you just said, I don't even know where to start:

1) Downloading music (even copyrighted music) is NOT illegal providing you erase and remove it within 24hrs of the download completing (if it is copyrighted)

2) The creators of Kazza should not be sued because their software allows files (of all kinds) to be shared. They are not responsible if some (naughty) users decide to share files that they should not.

3) The p2p software was not originally created to be used as illegal software, it was for use in data transfer on a WAN in general. Therefore it is wrong to accuse the creators of doing "illegal" things.
Reply 37
and anyway, theve tried, and they failed on the grounds listed above (#2)
Reply 38
Originally posted by music lover
Who would give up a chance to download free music?

Me...for some reason I have gone down the 'morally right' road on this subject- no downloading or copying for me *sigh*
Reply 39
From my own past experiences I have found that Winmx is a lot easier to use and manage.
But yeah RIA doesn't really have a leg to stand on as far as music sharring goes, they will have to spend a lot more in investigating outside of court than they will get back in court!!!

Lost Soul

Latest

Trending

Trending