RIAA Suing Kazaa Users Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Did your friend download frequently?? And how many??
yea he was, had something like 300 songs...
Slogan120
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
The RIAA Way might work if people are not will to take chances. Obviously if everyone stops uploading the system will not work, The RIAA's Idea is to scare people off of Kazaa, Kazaa Lite's new version maybe be the answer to this problem, but not forever, This is the Largest p2p Shareware Ever it has had more then 4 million people sharing on it, it is extremely succesful, because of the users, the more people that join and the more that they share the more popular Kazaa will be, thats how they build it. All I am Saying is that they Cannot take 4 million 2 court, sue them all, Kazaa Cannot be shut down so they will be doing this for a while, and aslong as u dont have movies, mp3 they cant do anything, Simply Put this fight is already our advantage, and they will be fighting forever, until they give up or kazaa shuts down.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
[The record companies have said in the past that if they so chose they could cut the retail price of each album in half, and would make about as much money if not more than they do presently.

We should all start the push for that to happen.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Well, my opinion is this: file sharing isn't necessary illegal. However, artist do deserve money for their work, downloading a few files here and there is ok. There is a question as to where do you draw the line.

But somebody said they're sueing people 150k for song. That's practically impossible, since they're targetting supreme users. I saw a guy who said he had 5000 files, so when we do the math, that's 750 million dollars that the poor guy would be found guilty of. I've never met a guy with 750k, and I probably never will. So I'm sure it's working a little bit differently. However, I'm wondering how you know you've been sued. Do they send you a message, or call you at home? Bleh. It all sucks.

Just delete Kazaa and fork over some money for a CD why don't you.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Gentlmen, Yes Kazaa Lite or K++ 2.4.1 Is the newest Kazaa Lite program. There are many options to ensure your privacy like blocking IP addresses of the RIAA and certaingovernmental and monitoring agencies. (This list can be updated also it is a text file in: C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++\BannedIPs)

The direct link to download the Kazaa Lite 2.4.1 is:
http://le4.edskes.com/kazaa/klitekpp241e.exe

or

ftp://ftp.komputery.wp.pl/pub/Obslug...itekpp241e.exe

The Official Kazaa Lite website and FAQs':
http://www.kazaalite.tk/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Another highly secure file sharing program which even encrypts file transmissions is: Filetopia

The web site: http://www.filetopia.org/home.htm

Cheers!, and good luck...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
In reference to updating the "banned IP address list" from the above user you can get it here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tim.leonard1/guarding.p2p

or

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tim.leonard1/pg_plain.htm

all you have to do is copy and paste the list inside the old list in the: C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++\BannedIPs

Make sure the text file stays the same name.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Well, my opinion is this: file sharing isn't necessary illegal.
One could say that law is a social construct, and appears as the resolution of conflict between differing entrenched interest groups. There's nothing intrinsic or necessary about law, and as such, it's only illegal if people decide that it's illegal.

File sharing rulez.

mod edit - you got the tags wrong - ollie
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Once Napster seemed to close away, who had a feeling nothing like it would ever pop up again? I did. But then Kazaa came up, along with others.....including Morpheus (Kazaa's twin), iMesh, WinMX, BearShare, and many others. But this time, you-know-who is going after individuals instead of the service itself. Why is this? It's because Napster ran off of a couple main servers (easier to shut down). Kazaa is p2p, therefore the target can't be on Kazaa itself but the people who can be tracked through uploading and sharing. They're targeted many users already, including ones from a couple different p2p's than Kazaa.......that's that part of the story. The next part deals with what the future will be like in terms of music availability.......p2p CANNOT BE STOPPED. LIKE SAID IN HERE BEFORE, THE 'SUING' THING IS ONLY TO SCARE PEOPLE......IT MAY HAVE A SHORT TERM IMPACT ON THE NUMBER OF KAZAA USERS, IT MAY NOT, BUT EVENTUALLY PEOPLE ARE GOING TO SEE THAT 'YOU KNOW WHO' IS GOING TO GIVE UP BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT MUSIC AT THEIR HANDS FOR FREE. Napster sparked the beginning of, what is in my eyes, the musical revolution. And because of the impact it had, the balloon effect will undoubtedly take place again.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What a f'in crock

Music should be free, or at least cheap.. musicians make millions and rap f'in sucks.
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
musicians make millions
Surely you realise that isn't true for the majority of musicians?
CR3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Surely you realise that isn't true for the majority of musicians?
o yes...i play the trumpet and i don't make millions..your theory is not supported

CR
RIAA Executive
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Under international copyright laws and regulations, kazaa is required by law to provide us with the personal identifying information for each user not excluding ip address, user information, and user search and downloading habits. This forewarning is merely a statement of actions already taken. A master list with said information has been devised and continues to be expanded with users found to have violated copyright laws. Legal action is pending.

Forewarned,
David Hockinsale
RIAA Executive MCPS #45613245
CR3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by RIAA Executive)
Under international copyright laws and regulations, kazaa is required by law to provide us with the personal identifying information for each user not excluding ip address, user information, and user search and downloading habits. This forewarning is merely a statement of actions already taken. A master list with said information has been devised and continues to be expanded with users found to have violated copyright laws. Legal action is pending.

Forewarned,
David Hockinsale
RIAA Executive MCPS #45613245
Thank You Sir

CR
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by CR3)
Thank You Sir

CR
Well guess what Mr. IRAA Man, Kazaa might be forced to play the international copywrite law game because they are trying or have tried to be a legitimate company releasing legitimate software trying to make money.... This isnt true however for the creators of Kazaa Lite. When installing Kazaa Lite you agree to this term:

Please note that installing this software is ILLEGAL and is in violation of the Kazaa Media Desktop Terms of Use. If you do, however, install the software contained in this package, you agree to take ALL responsibility for your actions.

So for your arguement, Kazaa Lite can never and will never offer any personal information to any agency. There is no "Kazaa Lite" company to speak of, no Sharman Networks releasing a Kazaa with spyware.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
SORRY Dr. Becker

Music business is an oxymoron. Something that comes from the human soul from nothing is not for sale. This is the true disease of immorality that capitalist pigs who think anything is for sale spread throughout mankind. Not to mention the price gouging that has been going on between retailers and the industry as well as artists who recieve pennies off of CD sales. That's why they TOUR. That is how they make their money and always has been. So download away, maties. Even the RIAA doesn't have enough money to sue everyone. They may try to make examples but they will never win.

ARRRR!!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by CR3)
o yes...i play the trumpet and i don't make millions..your theory is not supported
But you just supported it for me
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cricket)
I don't think he was an idiot. After all, it was only $200, would it really be worth it to go to court over $200. I wouldn't. What is the point of selling copying equipment if it is illegal to copy. And the fact that they would only sue people in the States is completely unfair.
Your friend was an idiot for taking anything by email seriously.
If they were really going to sue you, they would contact you by post, and they would have to have your home address to take any action anyway.
People who live outside the US cannot be sued with current international laws.
CR3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
But you just supported it for me
i meant the other person who said all musicians make millions....i WAS supporting YOUR theory...just not his...got that haha*confused*

CR
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
You could always think of it this way, The chemicals needed to create CD's attribute to greenhouse gases, after we had the hottest recorded day in Britain the consequences of that are obvious, MP3's and other digital music types are much more efficient there just electronically recorded, and if the record companies actually started selling MP3's they wouldnt even need to pay for CD's themslves.
My main argument is that after buying a £300 jukebox for MP3's it would be stupid for me to say well bugger MP3's for a lark ill go back to using my crappy cumbersome CD player and the ridiculously expensive CD's which seem mainly to be filler material with a few decent tracks. Record companies need to get their heads out of their asses and move with the times MP3's and such are a way forward CD's are begining to become obsolete in a few years companies are going to need to completely re think how they operate in this new era of technology, because at present there are no ways, at least no well publicised ways to actually buy MP3's and so all you can do is steal them and its only possible for people to listen to MP3's on their computer lest they have an MP3 player which I have to say are becoming more popular.
If record companies are losing sales to MP3's on kazaa its because they havent payed attention to the world around and have failed to notice the opportunities MP3's hold and take advantage of them to make up for which they are desperatley suing the would be consumers they failed to notice, for $150,000 dollars a song my dad didnt get that much from his insurance company after a road accident made him comotose for 2 months and made him disabled, so to you arrogant prat before saying there is n injustice to record companies they should realise lifes not fair, complain to god.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You could always think of it this way, The chemicals needed to create CD's attribute to greenhouse gases, after we had the hottest recorded day in Britain the consequences of that are obvious, MP3's and other digital music types are much more efficient there just electronically recorded, and if the record companies actually started selling MP3's they wouldnt even need to pay for CD's themslves.
Very interesting point there...however you can pay to download MP3s online I think- not sure if it was msn offering a service like that or something...

for $150,000 dollars a song my dad didnt get that much from his insurance company after a road accident made him comotose for 2 months and made him disabled, so to you arrogant prat before saying there is n injustice to record companies they should realise lifes not fair, complain to god.
I'm an athiest. And I am aware that life isn't always 'fair' as you put it- I'm hardly benefitting from not downloading songs- and I don't really not do it because of the record companies, althought I'm sure they're not all as wealthy as people assume, but musicians don't all have lots of money etc-and how can they earn any if people are just going to pirate their music?
I'm sorry about your father, however I don't really understand your point in relation to the Kazaa thing? -It may be because I have not read it properly, if so my appologies.

I thought your original point was well made, if indeed it is true, however ending by insultation didn't really strengthen your argument...I'm sorry if I come across as an 'arrogant prat' but am just trying to express my opinion tis all, no offence meant...
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (80)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.19%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.73%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.38%