RIAA Suing Kazaa Users Watch

This discussion is closed.
NukEvil
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
From USA

When I think about how the RIAA is suing 12 year olds, I think about how lame they really are. They are targeting people without money enough to get themselves good lawyers. Our people over here have gotten suit-crazy, and it's sad.

Kazaa has so much spyware in their program it isn't even funny. I downloaded the newest version of Kazaa, and my Adaware told me it had then found about 26 instances of spyware. I deleted them, and Kazaa wouldn't work anymore. So I deleted whatever parts of kazaa I could find, because the uninstaller wouldn't work either...

Wonder what website or email address or computer that spyware reports to and what it reports...

I would try downloading kazaa lite, but I don't want just any computer connecting to my computer..., but anyway...

All the recording industry is doing is picking on people with much smaller finances than theirs...

When you download music, you are merely copying from whatever site you got that music from. You did not steal anything. To steal is to take something away with the intention of never giving it back to rightful owner. Copying is not stealing.

If anything, it is the sites and file sharers which should be targeted--not the users merely downloading the music. The RIAA's strategy is from backwards thinking. They think there are many more music-sharing websites out there than there are file-sharing people, so they are thinking about suing the least amount of victims. But there are more file-sharers than there ever will be music-sharing websites. So, if anything, the RIAA is losing money everytime it sues someone.

Take into account the amount of money it takes to:

Monitor Kazaa network connections for users downloading music

Monitor music-sharing websites for IPs of computers downloading music

Issuing subpeonas(sp?) to out-of-state ISPs ordering them to hand over users' IP information

Having lawyers all the time

Possibly illegally monitoring downloads from users' computers by the employment of spyware

Making a long list of victims to sue

Setting up trials, court dates, etc.

Possible future lawsuit of RIAA from the Supreme Court

List goes on and on...

Now look at the money they're getting from the users they sue...not very much compared to what they spend every day...Maybe getting a little from the government here and there...

That's my brain cell limit usage for this website today.
SSJgotenks
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
they are not going to stop people from downloading music if they stop kazaa they will build up a new one so they should stop before they waste alot of money
PissedOffPerson
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
[i dont know man i think you should pick it back cause i seriously doubt thee people are goin to do anything about it
Conrad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ok,
Here's How To Avoid Getting Caught By The SONY Police Or Anyone Else Who Is Trying To Catch You And Sue You For Using Kazaa. These Steps Are Super Easy, So Follow Them And You Can Almost Guarentee Yourself That You Will Not Get Caught. It Has Worked For Me So Far And I'm going On Three Years Strong.

Steps To Not Get Caught And Sued:
1) Obtain a version of Kazaa Lite
*Go Here - It's The Official Site: http://www.kazaalite.tk/

2) Install It In Your Hard Drive
*Overwrite Your Original Kazaa Directories And Such -
NOTE: No Old Downloads That You Have Pending Will Carry
Over, So Make Sure You Get All Those Taken Care Of
(Or Not, Just To Play It Safe).

3) Set Up Your Shared Folder
* Make Sure That The Only Folder You Are Sharing Is In
Fact Your 'My Shared Folder' So That When You Are
Connected To The Network, That Is The Only Folder
You Could Possibly Have Scanned By Someone.

4) Be Smart When You Download
* I'm Sure I'm Not Telling You New News, But Whenever
A Download Finishes, Go Into Your 'My Shared Folder'
And Remove Your Files And Place Them In Another
Folder That Is Far Away From Your 'My Shared Folder'
(This Keeps Scanners From Ever Seeing What You
Have Downloaded So That You Cannot Be Caught
And Sued).

5) Repeat Step 4 As Long As You Download Media From Kazaa
* There Is Nothing The Government Loves Beter, Than
To Find A Person Who Is Not Smart Enough To Attempt
To Cover Their Tracks When They Try To Steal/Share
Copyrighted Material.

I Hope This Helps Out Those Of You Who Are Affraid Of Losing Your Downloading Privillages As A Result Of Being Scared Of Being Convicted For Stealing/Breaking The Law. I Think The World Of Sharing Is The Way To Go Because No Matter What, It Is Free And It Will Continue Whether It Is Out In The Open Or It Is Conducted In The Underground. Vive La Musica Liberdad!!!!
Unregistered_BB
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
wouldnt be easier to download the music then move it to a different folder and play the music thru a different program, keep my shared folders sharing, coz then it can be accessed and any one looking can see that u have nothing to share, so they move on to someone else.

Uve got ur music and they think thats one less person conning them out of 30p (per song) they can sue 100,00 per song, they wouldnt make that selling it legally, so they havent lost 100,000 a song.

Were all happy
kex
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
the thing is its the idea that your only being caught braking the law if u download mp3s

so atrac files on your hdd etc, are fine?

well atrac is a sony indorsed product so if sony sued me well thed being sueing thin air as all my media is on a sony minidisc player.

oh yeah how much modification can music take before it is no longer what it was

its a strange comment meaning if a mp3 has a diffrent sound frequency or level of base then to the cd version is it still clasified as a clone.

really the smaller details are what you guys are gonna want to play about with like encoding music into a diffrent format that can only played in certain players as long as the music has been decoded from its un hearable format.

this would mean tha actual file could not be ilegal as it did not create an ilegal sound ???

but needed to decoded into a sound that ment something.

really guys if your gonna play with the big boys you gotta be ruthless
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
someone should slap the RIAA.
here are a couple fo reasons why CD sales have decline. hmmmmm....let me think.....maybe it is because most of the songs being released these days are SHEIT!

some of these things expressed after this are my opinion so please feel free to comment as they are not facts....

take for example. The newest song from Junior senior, the "we gotta rock, rock, rock rocking the beat, we gotta beep beep......" i thought it was a catchy song so i downlaoded it put it on my minidisc then played it for about a day and realised how sheit it was and threw it out of my machine. Why should i waste £3.99 on that single if the song is SHEIT!
the main reason in CD sale decline is that if you mass manufacture bands who produce a load of crap, and force me to pay money for it, i might as well as go to the toilet a produce something...

the RIAA should take the money stolen from KAZAA users and use it to produce some good music for once...
Conrad
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Kazaa is one of the few places where people who love and appreciate music can actually enjoy themselves without paying admission to do so. I have noticed that the material world is getting to the point where soon a person will have to pay a few dollars just to enter a grocery store. I strongly feel uncomfortable about this concept, but to tell the truth I think it is a concept not too far removed from the future truth. It seems like everyone is suing people for everything these days, as well as charging everyone for everything. I am a person who could easily live in a world of sharing and equality (not to sound like a lovey dovey type person). I just mean that without money, I think the world could still get on with only a few problems. I don't mind sharing my music with anyone who would like to copy it. And by legal terms, if I buy a cd and make a copy for my friend for FREE, then by all rights, I have broken no law. With this being said, if a company searched your computer and found music on it, the only true way to prove that you downloaded it would be to actually go into the files and search for a history that would tell where the files came from, went to, and are at now. This I think is almost impossible, seeing how small MP3 files are, and WAV files are even more less specific. The old rule of making copies of anyting used to be "As long as you DON'T pay money for a copy of something, neither person making the transaction is breaking any rules". The people who are fed what music to write, play, and sing are just jealous that they have little or no control. And to tell the truth, I think no music artist who is in true control of themselves would care about people listening to thier music, becaue that would mean they are appreciated. I think it is the managers and the people who are ruling over the actual bands that want the money (thos money grubbin' *******s). Thats what I think anyways.
Jimothy
Report 15 years ago
I'm getting a deja vu of Matallica and Napster,
Jimothy
Report 15 years ago
and anyway Who DOESN'T download music from kazaa etc anyway? Even on AOL, B.T Broadand adverts it shows people saying "With broadband I can download music and films faster". That's one of B.B's best selling points! Apart from online gaming of course...
Unregistered.
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Why is this such an issue anyway? It only applies if you live in the US. If not then no worries. No one over here could care less about it.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Ok, first off musicians dont make squat of off cds you idiots, the cd companies do. Musicians make money off of shows, performances and **** like that. Why do you think its the RIAA thats mad? Cuz they are the ones losing money. I dont hear many musical artists standing up and complaining about lost money. Its because they arent losing money. CDs get their music out so people come to their shows. I say the RIAA can kiss my ass and start making cd's under 10 bucks a piece instead of this 20 bucks a piece ****. I view sharing as an economic balance, they can ****ing make them for less, yeah what is it a cd probably costs them under 5 cents to make. So in essence they are charging 400 times what it costs to make it. yeah anyways this will bring cds down to where they belong, and then people will start buying them again.
Xelnaga1
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Heres a link to a site with a forum and a whole bunch of crap I am making, on issues for Kazaa and all of such, you need to register in the forum to view the boards and post.

http://www.angelfire.com/sk3/kazaa

Visit it often, I keep it updated weekly.
unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
well the music industry is on its way to suing individual people, the have already pulled a "publicity stunt" and sued a lady who downloaded a nursery rhyme n yes this is pathetic but if the catch u and find evidence of copyright then yes then can and most likely will sue you. then can find ne1 one the net through that little pain in the as$ called and I.P. address every isp is assigned a certain i.p. range and then can locate your isp and then in turn locate you. downloading isnt going to be a big enough law suit so there going for now the big fish who are sharing their files to be downloaded so for now little people are safe *ecept the lady n her nursery rhyme and a few more little ppl to use to scare ppl*
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
europeans wont get hit with this for a while yet, because P2P is far more active in the US. nonetheless, in order to legally protect themselves, must personal users will stop sharing files and rely on braver souls. unfortunately, this means that a handful of dedicated people will become the only source of shared music and this will quickly manifest into the FTP scenario, whereby passwords, fees and lengthy downloads are the norm.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
europeans wont get hit with this for a while yet, because P2P is far more active in the US. nonetheless, in order to legally protect themselves, must personal users will stop sharing files and rely on braver souls. unfortunately, this means that a handful of dedicated people will become the only source of shared music and this will quickly manifest into the FTP scenario, whereby passwords, fees and lengthy downloads are the norm.
The UK may never get hit by it.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
The UK may never get hit by it.
it will, but not for a while.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
it will, but not for a while.
kazaa seems to still be working perfectly well; me and all my friends still use it unashamedly
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by edders)
kazaa seems to still be working perfectly well; me and all my friends still use it unashamedly
thousands do, but if they continue cracking down, then you will see the numbers dwindle as more people get worried.
Unregister:XkX:
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
how they tracking us down1???damn riaa....they going to make a new kazaa thing anyway...so there's no use...but i MIGHT STOP downloading....i aint' going to risk my ass and pay 150k fer ONE song....********...stupid ass btiches....i bet some of the riaa family members are use kazaa too! so wdf!?EVERYONE you noe probabaly uses kazaa or kazaa lite....
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (157)
27.35%
No (417)
72.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise