Premier League Discussion 21st-22nd March

Watch
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Saw this idea floated a while back & seemingly it hasn't come to fruition yet, so it's just something I'd like to trial. Use this thread for all action from this round of fixtures in the Barclays Premier League.

This is not for general club discussion, this is for discussing that matches, goals & talking points.

I'd also say we should keep the match thread games out of this, such as Liverpool/Man Utd
The_Mighty_Bush
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aston Villa - Swansea could be an interesting one. What with Villa's recent improvement in form and Swansea weaker with Bony gone. Most of the other games seem predictable to be honest.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
City vs West Brom
Villa vs Swansea
Newcastle vs Arsenal
Southampton vs Burnley
Stoke vs Palace
Spurs vs Leicester
West Ham vs Sunderland
Liverpool vs United
Hull vs Chelsea
QPR vs Everton

Southampton, Arsenal, City & Spurs all having piss easy fixtures means the pressure is really on United and Liverpool to get a result on Sunday. Whoever loses (probably us) is in trouble.

Late game on Saturday looks ****. Think i'll be watching the Six Nations instead of that.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Villa-Swansea has the makings of a great Saturday afternoon match given Monk's shrewdness and tactical nous. I was really impressed by his side the other night against us at the Liberty. They stifled us and were really impressive. For as poor as we were in the first-half (actually, until Gerrard came on probably), Swansea had a game plan and very much stuck to it. They aren't a side which is used to frustrating - they like the ball at their feet - so that made it even better.

Sherwood's 'new manager bounce' thing shows no signs of letting up, either, so it's probably a meeting between England's best young manager in the PL (Monk) and England's most intriguing (Sherwood).

Elsewhere, Newcastle only having 13 outfield players will be absolutely enthralling to watch. I expect Arsenal to batter them. Newcastle are without Cisse especially, so Ospina will have a quiet day.

Hope to see some more great wing-play from Palace, too. It's been a real throwback.
Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I was going to ask, whatever happened to this idea? Anyway thanks as always Tornado

So general premier league matches in discussion this week then:

Man City v West Brom
Aston Villa v Swansea
Newcastle v Arsenal (Can also be discussed on thread)
Southampton v Burnley
Stoke v Palace
Tottenham v Leicester
West Ham v Sunderland
Liverpool v Man United- Match thread
Hull v Chelsea (topical debates from this match can be discussed on the Chelsea thread)
QPR v Everton

I'm intrigued by what the Villa v Swansea game will provide, genuinely can't call the result. And QPR need a win, maybe this week? Hmmm.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
And QPR need a win, maybe this week? Hmmm.
With Everton suffering a post-Europa League hangover, I'd not put it past Ramsey to pick up three points at Loftus Road. Especially if Austin is on song. Everton were dismantled by clinical finishing last night in Kiev, but their defence has been ropey for large parts of the season and they may struggle with QPR's directness and Austin's physicality.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Villa Swansea will be a dire 0-0
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Advocaat has only one managerial debut win in 6 league debuts. Thanks SSN for that crucial statistic...

Anyway I've got City, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham & the Saints in an acca, the Southampton one is the only one I think may trip me up, they seem to struggle against teams that set up against them.
Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Villa Swansea will be a dire 0-0
If you get that right

(Original post by Mackay)
With Everton suffering a post-Europa League hangover, I'd not put it past Ramsey to pick up three points at Loftus Road. Especially if Austin is on song. Everton were dismantled by clinical finishing last night in Kiev, but their defence has been ropey for large parts of the season and they may struggle with QPR's directness and Austin's physicality.
I'd love for Ramsey to get a win, and it would be a respectable win against Everton. Martinez won't be back next season me thinks if form continues to drop. Really hoping for a QPR win, whether or not they'll get relegated, well, I think that's a certainty.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd love for Ramsey to get a win, and it would be a respectable win against Everton. Martinez won't be back next season me thinks if form continues to drop. Really hoping for a QPR win, whether or not they'll get relegated, well, I think that's a certainty.
I think QPR will go down despite a victory today - they simply don't have anywhere near enough to manage to rack up enough points before the season's end. Their away form has been laughable all season.

What surprises me so much about Everton is I felt they had enough to beat Kiev the other night. Martinez needed to go for the jugular and use the same direct style in the first leg, but it's obviously tough defending a lead (we saw that with Monaco in the CL) and it's even harder defending one away from home.

Gibson being back boosts their midfield considerably, because it allows Barry to be dropped after a terrible season and Gibson/McArthur can link up in the middle there.
Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think QPR will go down despite a victory today - they simply don't have anywhere near enough to manage to rack up enough points before the season's end. Their away form has been laughable all season.

What surprises me so much about Everton is I felt they had enough to beat Kiev the other night. Martinez needed to go for the jugular and use the same direct style in the first leg, but it's obviously tough defending a lead (we saw that with Monaco in the CL) and it's even harder defending one away from home.

Gibson being back boosts their midfield considerably, because it allows Barry to be dropped after a terrible season and Gibson/McArthur can link up in the middle there.
To be quite honest I didn't think QPR even deserved to get promoted last season. Yes you may argue that they got into the play offs due to their own hard work etc but Derby were really unlucky that time, a last minute goal conceded. It must felt like QPR fluked their way into the prem. Evidently, they're not doing well at all because they simply don't have the quality to stay up. Their squad is full of over paid has been pensioners. It's a shame really because I have nothing against QPR, I would have thought they could be a solid premiership team like Swansea and Southampton have become.

Yeah Everton are just bipolar tbh, win when you expect them to (or not) and lose when you think they've got it in the bag. Shot themselves in the foot with baf defending really. It was their tie to lose.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah Everton are just bipolar tbh, win when you expect them to (or not) and lose when you think they've got it in the bag. Shot themselves in the foot with baf defending really. It was their tie to lose.
The funny thing for me as a Liverpool fan is that so many of my mates were suggesting last year that somehow David Moyes was holding Everton back, and now Martinez was impressing, they were bound to break into the top four and reach a higher ceiling than they did during Moyes' decade.

They'd probably take him back in a heartbeat now, though. Not all is well at Goodison. Martinez is really struggling to convince.
Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The funny thing for me as a Liverpool fan is that so many of my mates were suggesting last year that somehow David Moyes was holding Everton back, and now Martinez was impressing, they were bound to break into the top four and reach a higher ceiling than they did during Moyes' decade.

They'd probably take him back in a heartbeat now, though. Not all is well at Goodison. Martinez is really struggling to convince.
I just wish Martinez would stop that stupid gum chewing he does on the touchline, then when they score he raises a hand up to the sky. It annoys me for some strange reason
Anyway yeah, pressures on.

-------------
Hull v Chelsea game looks dire to me. Straightforward win for the blues.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yaya Toure, Demichelis, Milner, Nasri and Fernandinho all dropped for City

Lol @ Lampard/Fernando midfield. Richest club in the world and that's all they have to put out?

Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well they're 3-0 up. Could have been much much worse for West Brom, should be 10-0 tbh.
AR_95
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Yaya Toure, Demichelis, Milner, Nasri and Fernandinho all dropped for City

Lol @ Lampard/Fernando midfield. Richest club in the world and that's all they have to put out?

Compare their reserves to yours..
samiz20891
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lloris may be injured went off in a stretcher, looked like Walker went into him pretty hard Tbf.
Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you ****ing serious. Spurs have scored. You guessed it...Kane.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lloris and Forster both off injured within the first 10 minutes, what on earth is going on?
Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank heavens I'm not a Leicester fan...I would have gone absolutely mental 2-0 spurs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads